Show me your electric velomobile.

tahustvedt

10 kW
I'm designing and building my own practical velomobile from plywood and aluminum, and would love to see other velomobile projects, DIY and ready built, finished or not. :)

file.php

Attachments

• Velo64.jpg
    Velo64.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 3,604
imho, velomobiles are ugly. :)
instead, what about building a 4-wheeler single seat small car, on which the wheels are in the corners outside the body, similar to the Renault Twizy, but its height would be much lower than that, body is closed aerodynamic, and the seat position is similar to the formula racing cars (or velombiles if you want), straight legs pointing forward? I would build this if I had time&budget :)

Ok, I see you made huge progress in your project, great job!
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=62827

velomobile-trisled.jpg

peters said:
imho, velomobiles are ugly. :)
I'd agree that there's nothing unusual about that, but only because mostly people can't be bothered to make it look nice.

And there's plenty that aren't bad, wouldn't have took much to put a really nice finish on it. You don't find a lot of true craftsmen these days.

maxxvelo-0.jpg

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

The velomobiles available on the market, although beautiful to me, are just not practical for my use. Mine won't be a supermodel, but I think it looks ok, and will be super practical.

I'm surprised that there aren't more e-velos here.

Nobuo said:
How do you attach both materials?

It looks like a wind resistance calculator?
Which software did you use?

What do you mean by materials?

The picture is from a CFD software called MicroCFD.

Here"s some kind of video about mine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lO7QU2bCuEU

yoyo.jpg
speed: fast enough
range: hope to never find out
-carries 2kW of batteries

3 tricycles.
All sport dual motors/controllers/batteries.
All are delta configurations.
One has a weather-protected body (as seen in photo)
-I don't own a car-

ddk said:
speed: fast enough
range: hope to never find out
-carries 2kW of batteries

3 tricycles.
All sport dual motors/controllers/batteries.
All are delta configurations.
One has a weather-protected body (as seen in photo)
-I don't own a car-

Cool. Are crosswinds a problem. Mine will be pretty flat on the sides as well.

When I build a velo, I'm going with the method of construction for the shell used here http://gaboats.com/.

Balsa is a junk wood here commonly used to make wood pallets, so I'll be able to keep it light. Not only will it be relatively rigid and strong for it's weight, it's easily finished and easily repaired, but the biggest advantage to me is that sound will be well damped. Velomobiles are notoriously noisy inside.

John in CR said:
When I build a velo, I'm going with the method of construction for the shell used here http://gaboats.com/.

Balsa is a junk wood here commonly used to make wood pallets, so I'll be able to keep it light. Not only will it be relatively rigid and strong for it's weight, it's easily finished and easily repaired, but the biggest advantage to me is that sound will be well damped. Velomobiles are notoriously noisy inside.

Have you seen this? http://www.mosquito-velomobiles.com/concept.htm

Much more difficult to build and much heavier. Plus I think I can achieve more interesting shapes heat shrinking a Dacron over a wood frame with kevlar tape tying the whole frame together, than I could bending plywood.

Here's an slick design I ran across (I forget the source) that I figure could be pulled off well using plywood.

lester12483 said:
Its all vaporware. Lets be realistic here. An ebike is the best way to go electric.

An ebike sucks in the rain or very cold. People actually use pedal powered velos as transportation, so imagine how much better they can be with an electric motor.

Kamil at Velokraft high power electric with weather protection certainly isn't vaporware.

tahustvedt said:
Cool. Are crosswinds a problem. Mine will be pretty flat on the sides as well.
Where I live I have to deal with extreme crosswinds and gusts exceeding 70kph. The trike handles pretty good under these conditions after I modified it's suspension to support the body better (stiffer)
If you notice you'll see that the body starts fairly high off the ground, although the frame gives the illusion of it being much lower.
I've never gotten wet while negotiating storms.

I spent some time on developing the body to reduce crosswind effects. I needed a tall body so I can easily enter/exit the vehicle. My BIG gripe about velomobiles in general is that they are designed for the limber only. Sometimes the double-jointed only...
I'm neither limber nor flexible so I focused on my requirements.
I might add I hate the claustrophobic feel of velo fairings* so I covered the body in (heavy) clear Lexon with ultraviolet protection...
-problem fixed-
I tend to use this trike the most, as the weather locally changes rapidly. I used to carry extra clothing because of this.(still do with my other trikes) The velo body protects me from these weather extremes so well I rarely even don gloves and I leave the extra stuff back at la casa.
With a fresh set of batteries it actually achieves 25mph for about an 100th of a mile :D
But it rapidly settles down to 17mph
When I travel out of town I still use my other trikes.

John in CR said:
Much more difficult to build and much heavier. Plus I think I can achieve more interesting shapes heat shrinking a Dacron over a wood frame with kevlar tape tying the whole frame together, than I could bending plywood...
I spent almost a year testing materials. Most didn't hold up in my local. I personally wished my heatshrink idea would have worked but it ripped during it's first windstorm. (see: heatshrink for boats, airplanes and cars)
Dacron also suffered in high winds and (mainly) sun (damage). It died after a few months of exposure.
But then again I'm using minimal framing support.
BTW-My frame added just over13kg as it's fashioned from mild steel tubing**.
lester12483 said:
Its all vaporware. Lets be realistic here. An ebike is the best way to go electric.
we all hold our own opinions.
+
Apparently you misunderstand the term "vaporware".
***************************************************************************************************

*Rassy and I concur on this. He hates his fairing because of it's closed-in feeling where I include my view is too compromised by most commercial offerings, besides the entry/exit thing.

**Fiberglass rods also failed my tests for my situation.

ddk said:
John in CR said:
Much more difficult to build and much heavier. Plus I think I can achieve more interesting shapes heat shrinking a Dacron over a wood frame with kevlar tape tying the whole frame together, than I could bending plywood...
I spent almost a year testing materials. Most didn't hold up in my local. I personally wished my heatshrink idea would have worked but it ripped during it's first windstorm. (see: heatshrink for boats, airplanes and cars)
Dacron also suffered in high winds and (mainly) sun (damage). It died after a few months of exposure.
But then again I'm using minimal framing support.

With the Kevlar roving the unsupported areas are extremely small, drastically smaller than the spans when it's used on crop dusters. If it proves too weak, then I'll just rip it off, shrink a new layer on, and add a layer of epoxy impregnated 4oz glass cloth to the inside, and maybe add some rock deflecting shields where necessary.

If I went with a steel frame, then I think I'd have to give making it a giant monocoque with the velo frame also being much of the bike's frame.

My new rear wheel solution for my velomobile. Weight gain 3kg, but it"s right where it serves best here i think.

Attachments

• Rengas 006.jpg
    Rengas 006.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 8,855
Archer said:
Marc,

Thanks for the reply.It's obvious you have a lot of knowledge and hands on with the ICE Trikes.

I have been thinking very seriously about an electrified trike,especially after seeing the new ARCUS velo shell.It was made for the ICE Sprint and Adventure trikes.It will also fit a handful of other trikes with a bit more work.I'm in the US and am waiting on a Man who recently bought an ARCUS Shell kit.I want to get the pros and cons etc before making a final decision.

And if I could have it powered with LR's kit that would be the icing on the cake.ARCUS pic below.

Take Care.

Tim.

Tim,

While I love my ICE Sprint (soon two of them) they are not without flaws. I've accumulated 30,000km on my Sprint over the last four years. 6,000km with rear suspension and 24,000km without.

The suspeded rear frame is made from 7005 Aluminium and definately too weak for a high power set-up. I've broke two 20" suspended rear frames at the same welding seam of the suspension hinge. ICE Trikes customer service is first rate and they send a replacement via FedEx the day after I send an email with photos of the defect, though.
I've checked with ICE Trikes, the new suspended 26" rear frame uses the same (in my opinion) too weak part and would guess their claimed <1% failure rate for that part will get up with the even bigger rear wheel....
The unsuspended 26" rear frame of the Sprint and Adventure is ok with handling higher loads.

About the ARCUS shell:
Unfortunately I have no experiance with velomobiles, yet. I'm closely following the developement of the European models, though.
Since you would regularly reach quite high speeds with a high powered velomobil, side winds are an issue. The rear of the ARCUS shell looks a bit high and probably offers too much area for side winds and a gust will probably blow it all over the place.

Then there is the price and the weight. €2500 for the ARCUS shell weighting 16kg plus €3000 to €4000 for an ICE trike thats weights an other 17-20kg. I'd rather get a 'real' velomobil with a glass fiber body for that money, have a sturdier ride designed for high speed and save 5-8kg.
A velomobil with carbon fiber body will cost €1200-1500 more, is more rigit and even a bit lighter.

Take a look at the WAW velomobil from http://www.katanga.eu for instance. No rear suspension but its known to be fast, offers good handling and has a relativly small turning circle (for a velomobil at least).

DSCN1071-1024x768.jpg

Thats the rear wheel without rear cowling. Looks like there is just enough space to fit a drive unit with chain drive directly to the rear wheel.
DSCN1088-768x1024-380x507.jpg

The WAW without front and rear cowling. Easy to work on and its way cheaper to repair or replace front or rear cowlings in case of an accident. That front boom is actuall left longer than necessary to offer space for a mid drive (to finally come back to the thread topic).
DSCN1049-1024x768.jpg

[youtube]0oURhBY1VKU[/youtube]

[youtube]00KegTUZgl8[/youtube]
If you dont speak french, switch on the english subtitles!

@Michael: Sorry for deflecting from your drive unit! Since you are interested in velomobiles as well, I thought you might like the little distraction too.

I'm very interested in velos. One problem though, they are not for large people. Not even fat people, just large people.

Currently I am fat, but I was fit when I sat in a Quest velomobile. I am 6'4", and I have very broad shoulders. The quest seat was arranged as to accommodate the largest possible rider.

My shoulders touched (more than touched, they were squished) both left and right at the shell opening. Otherwise, I suppose it would have worked.

I've not tried other velos, but so many of them are setup for streamlined racing that I am sure I won't fit.

I also don't fit into sports cars. Wouldn't want one anyway, but it's funny to see me in one...

Dean,
Yeah, most models tend to be quite small. One of the reasons might be, that one of the most innovative and productive European velomobil designer (Daniel Fenn) worked at several velomobil manufacturers, pushing the limits in speed and weight reduction. He is more on the slim side. I sat in one of his creations, the Go-One Evo Ks. At 5'9" and similarly slim I'm about his size and that thing did fit me like a glove.

I think maybe the Leiba X-Stream XXL (without hood): http://www.leiba.de
leiba_xstream_xxl_start.jpg

With some luck the Milan http://velomobiles.ca/Milan.html
slMk1_01.jpg

but most likely Alligts http://www.alligt.nl
Alleweder A4
alleweder-a4.jpg

and Alleweder A6
100_4210.JPG

could fit your broad shoulders.

Back