New build! First build was stolen. Suggestions Welcomed

Simple818

100 W
Hey everyone, well my first build got stolen a few days ago. I'm trying not to dwell on it and just move on and learn from my mistakes. I really would rather not rehash this event so I would like to keep discussion to my new build. Thanks

Bike- Genesis v2100. Cost $60 on CL
http://www.walmart.com/ip/16685814?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedItemId=16685814&adid=22222222227000849600&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=40334724272&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78294578312&veh=sem&productRedirect=true

Motor- torn between the leafbike 1500w $350 shipped with rim
http://www.leafbike.com/products/e-bike-hub-motor/gearless-20-24-26-700c-28-inch/newest-48v-1500w-rear-spoke-hub-motor-electric-bike-motor-998.html
Or the mxus 3000 v2 shipped bare for $350
http://kinaye-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/mxus-xf40-45h-45mm-3000w-motor

Batteries- HK lipo. 6s multi star 16ah x2 or 3 for 12s or 18s. For approx. $500 or $650 including PS and charger.
Or the used tesla sell that an ES member is selling in packs for approx. $500 minus charger and bms.

Controller- greentime 15fet 45a $60
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Free-shipping-72V-1500W-45Amax-BLDC-motor-speed-controller-15FET-4410-s-Electric-Bicycle-Controller/313864_499889986.html
Or a Lyen 12fet for $130.00
And of course a CA $150
Torque arms $30-50
This will be used as a commuter for a 16 mile round trip 5 days a week. I would like cruising speed to be 35mph with occasional 40mph bursts.
I can charge at work but can not charge lipo at work because it will be unattended. Any thoughts recommendations are appreciated. Thanks guys

I can't believe I've gotten no response/suggestions. I would have at least expected somebody telling me I was crazy or stupid or why not do this or that

I wouldn't get the Genesis V2100. It has an aluminum swing arm and dropouts.

Spokes are easy. But from JRH or others.
Last buike had aluminum drop outs had no problem. Plus there is a custom swing arm in the works for this frame.

But there are lots of bikes that come with a steel swing arm already.

wesnewell said:
But there are lots of bikes that come with a steel swing arm already.

You are absolutely right. However, I got this bike used for $60 and it has dual suspension. So, it just makes more sense for the to go this route. There are not a lot of steel dual suspension bikes out there. My last ride was a hard tail and I don't want to go that route again.

What I'm really interested in is how that green time controller performs. Is it reliable? Anybody out there run one?

If you can't find DS bikes with steel dropouts then you just aren't looking. There are a lot of them. Most Mongoose DS bike shave steel swing arms and dropouts. So do many aluminum frame DS bikes.
The greentime controller is as good as any. Pretty much all of them are the same. I've been running one similar to that for 4 years without a problem.

Well completed my second build. I'll list all parts here.
Frame: Genesis v2100.
Front shocks: rockshox xc32 air
Rear shock: Dnm 7.5" air
Motor: 3t mxus3000 v2
Controller: 12 fet Infineon programmed for 50a
Battery: by ex-battery.com 16s5p Samsung 25r with 100a bms
Front brake: Clarks hydraulic 160mm
Bag: by ex-battery
Cav2.3

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 3,315
Nice! Very neat and very well put together. Putting the controller behind the seat is probably a better choice than what I did. I like your new build a lot. Probably because it's the same style bike I just built. :wink:

Nice look!
Tell us about your rear wheel build.
Rim, tire,spokes,brakes?
I noticed the chain is yet to be installed.
Still, a very clean build.
Esthetically you nailed it!
Good job!

The rear rim is a 17" X1.6 Holmes hobby moto rim with a shinko sr241 17x2.75" the diameter of the rear wheel is 23.25". The front wheel is the stock 26" wheel that came with the bike.
I have no rear brake. Totally dependent on regen brake. Front brake is a hydro clarks Eco with 160mm rotor. Rotor needs to be upgraded to a 180 or 200mm.
Front wheel needs to be changed to a 24" bike wheel or 19" moto,
Top speed is 42 mph on 16s 45 batt amps. Torque is insane. Front wheel comes up. I really have to ease into it

Nice build simple818 :) ,as soon as you go 24 up front your going to want shorter pedal arms,unless you are just going straight 8) .plus side is with this frame you can make a swingarm farfle style,maybe hes still making them?and get some longer wheelbase for extended wheelies.

Beautiful build.
Have you figured out what to do with rear brake? Is regen + front disc really enough to stop this thing?

eTrike said:
Sweet build! Have you considered a gps tracking unit? Like the "Insignia Little Buddy", etc.?

Just a thought about once stolen how will you retrieve your stolen bike if it's in someone's house.
The cops won't do shit. Here in Ontario we just had an incident where a teen had his iPhone stolen, mugged. Cops wouldn't help track it down. Petty theft.
Well he tracked it down, and the thief killed him. Dead. Then the police went after the now known killer, he jumps in a river to evade escape, and dies himself. Karma.

Just a thought, you may now where your bike is, but be real careful about how you retrieve it.

Edit. Bike looks good though, nice and clean. Maybe a 24" dh wheel up front. Would return the geometry closer to stock potentially. Looks a lil laid back, though that may be desired by you.

puregsr said:
Beautiful build.
Have you figured out what to do with rear brake? Is regen + front disc really enough to stop this thing?

Regen and front disc is adequate at best. I will move up to a 203 front disc up front which should help out a lot. Quite frankly I have gotten use to the 26" wheel up front with the small tire in back. The only thing that I have noticed is that I don't feel comfortable taking sharp turns at high speeds. The geometry just doesn't feel stable for turns. I will go to a 24" wide rim up front when I'm more financially sound. I'm dying over here with crazy bills. I took the bike off-road a week ago and it handled nicely. Was a ton of fun.

Having recently also lost a (recumbent) trike, seems this list is missing an "anti-theft" device? EG a "lock"?

Myself, have replacement identical trike in transit as we tap, and plan to add a DC-DC converter from 48 volt pack to 12 volt dome camera w/WiFi or Bluetooth with motion detection, so full motion video "snap shots" sent to my email as my "security". Probably add alarm sound upon motion also. (With notice sign on trike.)

Simple818 said:
Quite frankly I have gotten use to the 26" wheel up front with the small tire in back. The only thing that I have noticed is that I don't feel comfortable taking sharp turns at high speeds. The geometry just doesn't feel stable for turns. I will go to a 24" wide rim up front when I'm more financially sound. I'm dying over here with crazy bills. I took the bike off-road a week ago and it handled nicely. Was a ton of fun.

I think the unstable feeling you have in higher speed turns is more likely due to a difference in tire profile/shape than the diameter. If you don't mind me asking, how much did ex-battery charge for the battery/bag and how long did it take them?

Going to try my similar build off road soon as well. How did it do with low speed climbs and descents?

Back