Tires

YonathanZ

10 mW
Hi,

My ebike has 20 x 1.5" Kenda Kwest tires. I want to replace them with balloon tires, probably a Schwalbe Big Apple. The Schwalbe Big Apple has the "EBIKE READY 25" certification, which means it suits bikes that go as fast as 25kmph or so. They also have tires that are "EBIKE READY 50", and I wonder if I must get one of those if my ebike goes as fast 55kmph at times (going downhill, of course. Otherwise it's around 32-37, which is still faster than 25).

I was sure, before seeing that certification, that all bicycle tires can handle even as fast as 70kmph. Was I wrong, or should I ignore that certification (which Schwalbe invented for themselves...) and just go with the Big Apple ones? (the Big Ben are like Big Apples but slightly different, and they're only 2.15" wide, and I think they are too wide for the frame).

Thanks.

It would help to know what country you are in, as there may be laws or guidelines in your country.
The speed ratings on those Ebike tires have a lot to do with various legal regulations in some places. For the most part, it just takes the place of common sense, which has been deemed obsolete in the modern era.

Bike tires can't handle 70 KPH sustained. No pedaling bicyclist could ever go that fast, except for a couple minutes down hill. Lance Armstrong, the drugged up Super cyclist's top speed record in competition was 54kph.
When you add the extra weight and power of an ebike to the mass of the bike, the load on the tires becomes worse, and a bike tire that might have been ok for a while at 70 KPH suddenly is much less ok at those speeds. I think most of us who have bikes that can sustain a long distance over 70kph have seen signs of the tires failing. In my case I've seen blisters from overheating, and had tires that have worn out in under 100 miles.

Most quality bike tires can handle speeds above 70KPH for short distances, up to several miles if not being pushed hard in corners, but if you plan to cruise the highways, you'll want to look at motorcycle tires. Luckily for you a 20" bicycle rim and a 16" motorcycle rim are the same size. (they are measured differently.)

I'd propose to try a motorbike tire. 16" moped tire is the same size as a 20" bicycle tire. Although they are heavier and harder to assemble, they are more durable, rated to 100kph or more and there are many types of them.
Just make sure you choose a tire width that is suitable for your rim width.

I ride 100 Kmh everyday with bicycle tires. No matter Big Apples are ebike rated, they are hard gum and don't stick to the road at high speed. If you want a slick, use a 2 ply Hookworm dual compound. There are good bicycle tires available for any type of ride, one only need to pick the right.

Session 04 2015.jpg

MadRhino said:
I ride 100 Kmh everyday with bicycle tires. No matter Big Apples are ebike rated, they are hard gum and don't stick to the road at high speed. If you want a slick, use a 2 ply Hookworm dual compound. There are good bicycle tires available for any type of ride, one only need to pick the right.

Nice bike. :)

I'm also not convinced that the average bike tire can't take 50kph for quite a while. Given that it's fairly easy for the average rider to exceed 50kph on any long hill, tire manufacturers would be silly not to design their tires with this in mind and I don't hear of any lawsuits because bike tires failed at speed going down hills.

I find it's not really the speed but the permanent high torque that a tire must withstand on an ebike. I have to change the rear tire several times, while the front one almost looks as it was new.
Anyway, depends on the torque, if it is lower than the tire lasts longer.

Motorcycle tires? Lol. Guys, this bike does a constant 32-37 kmph on flat roads. That's not motorcycle speed. 55kmph is only during declines, and declines only last so far (and there are red lights that ruin the fun, too). I want to get the Big Ben tires because they have better grip when riding off-road. My current tires are slick and I can't even ride over 1mm thick sand. They just slip, but they're fantastic in corners.

Anyway, I measured the frame and a 2.15" tire will fit. The inner width of the rim is 20mm, so 2.15" is a bit of a stretch but I think it'll be okay too if I don't inflate it to the max PSI.
HOWEVER, I was told in Bike Forums to ask here about those tires with my rims, because as it is, the wheels are not centered in the frame, both front and rear. So if I put those 2.15" tires, by my calculation, there will be 1 or 2 mm of space between the right side of the fork and and wheel, and similarly in the back.

So first of all, I'd like to hear your take on 2.15" tires on 20mm rims. I was told I might need new spokes for one side of the wheels, at least the rear wheel, to get it centered, because I won't be able to increase the tension of the current spokes enough to center them. What do you think?

Thanks.

The Crazy Bob are only ebike ready 50 at 24" and larger.

Pics:

2mrw4z4.jpg

s16bd1.jpg

ou6s5t.jpg

2s7gefr.jpg

So I bought the Big Ben 2.15 tires. I should have them in two weeks. I'll have the wheels dished in the bike shop before I install the new tires.

I've been running big apples for about 8 months on the rear of my 29er. Constant 50km/h+ commuting. No issues. Not even a puncture. That said, tire is nearly bald in the centre now (wear and tear)

lester12483 said:
Dude that is not an ebike. That's a e-motorcycle to the average person on the street. Do cops ever stop you?
Once in 6 yrs, for a stop sign.
I seldom see the cops, or people reactions, for I have no rear view mirrors. :wink:

MadRhino said:
What he said. For those of us who took the trouble to do our research, because tires matter when you're going fast on an eBike on roads shared by the ICE'r killing machine club, we've time and again come around to select few tires that have withstood the test of time & abuse. The Maxxis Hoodworm in one of those. Its what I'm riding with. At 2.5". On Alexrims DX32 rims. Laced with Sapim Spokes. I have hard core bicyclists stop and admire my wheel. Beautiful, safe & reliable. Would I want to do 50mph on my bike? Sure, going straight downhill for a short while. But not all the time. Its not the wheel I worry about. Its still a bike and I'm riding unprotected. Flesh and asphalt are not a good meetup.

Back