Does Product Design Affect the Acceptance and Success of Pedelecs
and E-Bikes http://pedelec.com/taipei/lectures/pdf/ ... design.pdf
I need some information on 5 speed and torque sensor PAS switching, as alI the ones I have found have this done though a complex proprietary display
Any tips or pointers to resources on PAS set ups or design would be much appreciated
I like how that PDF starts off..
Where Will Design for Pedelecs and E-Bikes Go?
• E-Bikes will drop their pedals!
• E-Bikes will become electric scooter-like vehicles!
Definitely seems this is true, I have to say I am an advocate of PAS only builds, the more videos I see people riding ebikes the more I have noticed the pedals are just somewhere they rest their feet and there isn't even the remotest hint of the idea of trying to pedal.
New York after fully banning ebikes, have made a new law where if its PAS / pedal-assist and throttle-less ebike (general euro standard) then its OK.
New York City allows e-bikes, as long as there’s no throttle
https://e-bikerumor.com/2018/04/08/new- ... -throttle/
New York City to allow pedal-assist e-bikes, bans throttled bikes
http://www.bicycleretailer.com/industry ... xIjGJ8zaCo
I think this is the future, I can't understand why the old original "200w/throttle" ebike standard is still allowed in so many states or continued to be a sellable type of ebike, it should have been phased out years ago, so the only standard is the newer PAS only based Euro EN 15194 standard.
The latest video I watched was on the whole Storm bike fiasco, I noticed even reviewer also never pedals, this ebike has ended up being very popular despite the fact they elected to not even bother putting on a basic PAS sensor which is like an extra $1 USD if you look at China prices... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2y8adn-hCY
*EDIT* The final release of the Storm/Sonders ebike did get a PAS sensor installed but I believe is unplugged? Well done anyway..
Seems fair to say that ebikes (throttle only) are just bicycles by proxy.
I changed to PAS only setup on my most recent bike for a bunch of reasons,
- Firstly, without a handlebar-throttle you can much more quickly grab your brake levers, in fact you can much more easily have your fingers on the brake levers all the time, so its overall a safer ride, by a significant amount.
Also there are a few other good reasons to ditch handlebar throttles,
- I have lost count how many times cars used to see me coming and pull out in front of me when I had thumb throttle because they would underestimate my speed and also assume I was slowing down because my legs are not moving which is a recipe for disaster on a long enough time frame.
- Having only PAS means you don't look lame/fat and lazy. There are a bunch of threads on here where folk are complaining about ebike haters giving them crap and we all secretly know its because they look fat and lazy just using the thumb throttle to get around.
- Also, you save having to change your handlebar setup by removing/adding grips etc and you also save handlebar space freeing it up for more lights etc.
If your ebike is quite powerful you can just fully dry pedal, so you are still putting in zero effort and letting the ebike motor do all the work.
I've been doing this a fair bit lately and I still find it way more practical than a handlebar throttle.
There are tons of motorcycle accidents on youtube where someone was showing off etc and loses control of the bike because the throttle is where they hold the bike, its the same spot, and its a crappy problem-riddled way of having to control bikes, with bicycles we have the option of avoiding all that through PAS.
I think what happened in New York where ebikes were totally banned to the point where if they even find one locked up at a premise the council will issue a fine for the ebike to the premises is a glimpse into the future.
It's only a natural this path is taken over a long enough timeline where you have masses of folk annoying other masses of folk.
I understand to some who haven't seen ebikes all over the streets causing carnage like I have you probably see me as an evil betrayer of ebikes, but I am saying all this for its greater good as it won't last like it is forever when truly huge masses of people take this up, I already see a fairly constant stream of negative media in Australia about ebikes now.
Newer controllers support PAS really well and they are no more expensive than older generation controllers. They come with LCD displays and easy to install buttons to allow different assist level adjustments. And of course there is the Cycle Analyst
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... D_JP2h1N1g