These (electric) bikes are for billionaires.

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Those who are spending on expansive bikes are not billionaires. Well, maybe those who are buying overpriced designer bikes, but sure not those who are spending 10 K per year to ride on 2 wheels in various competition sports with evergrowing popularity. The average price paid for a bicycle is getting higher every year, as the number of bicycles sold.

Ebikes are no different. The natural excitement for better performance and lighter weight, is making an increasing number of riders spend more for every next bike. Quest for Nirvanah ? ...When riding is worth your life (or making your life worth), money has little value. Same as for the horses in other times past. :wink:

Billionaires are usually cheap fellows, like myself. :mrgreen: Kamprad's net worth as of February 2014 is $4.2 billion, he is one of the wealthiest people in the world. Here is his car:
PPQpY.jpg.

Note: Net worth of $4312.30 is not mine, it's just a picture google spitted out. Actually, he said something about that car not passing the MOT. He talked about buying the used Skoda if that happens again. According to wikipedia: "He always travels economy class in planes, and if he goes by train, if possible, he will sit in second class. He never stays at expensive hotels..."

DANG. Sooo... those Swarovski crystals, wood inlays and leather details? Probably shouldn't have added "Leaos" to the ES Bible. (Denisons of ES *love* "cheap"!)

The billionaire I used to work for had a ratty looking older SUV with Libertarian bumper stickers on it. I reckoned that might have been his regular-guy costume.

After a couple of years, he started showing up in a nicer car (but it was "sales manager" nice, not billionaire nice).

Hehe... Re my current "project":
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

`Been suggesting to folks to customize... bits such that many/most components are "unique"/"special" such that bike thieves will leave it alone. Maybe. Perhaps the "not too bright" will pass up a bike where many parts would be "trashed" rather than putting on the market. (Still haven't added a lock to my "strange looking contraption".)

But yah. As an "urban guy" gave up "car" ownership decades ago. The "ebike" my escape from pubic transit (and hope I spelled "public" correctly here).

I have a Ron Paul sticker on a 2001 Honda Insight hybrid. That's gotta confuse some people... 'i thought those guys loved the Koch brothers..' :lol:

I think the super expensive ebikes really highlight a difference between Europe and the USA. A wealthy person out there will actually do some commuting by bicycle and enjoy it, even if they could be driving a Ferrari instead. Out here, the primary bicycle commuters are the poor and downtrodden. The rich in the USA only think of bicycles as recreational vehicles.. to be kept in the garage for 99% of the year.

[Jealousy Mode ON] So, where's the "EBike Bling" thread? [J.M.OFF]

Maybe see if LFP "Kick Butt" ebike is available to rent or something.

Come on, 40 Mph is cruising speed on my bikes. I never felt 40 Mph was dangerous, or maybe it was when flying over rough sections in mountain trails. On the street, I slalom with hands in my pockets at that speed. 8)

I find the Trefecta interesting tech but ugly, and 4 Kw of power ridiculous. For the price, they should make it 20 HP at least.

I agree speed limits and residential zones deserve respect and moderation.
That doesn't mean vehicles top speed and power need to be restricted.
You don't blame the hammer, when some idiot is using one to kill.
In the hands of a good carpenter, the hammer is better.

LockH said:
Can't wait to try out that 1000 mile per hour ebike!
ped-safety-speed-graph.jpg

Obviously that infographic is not about 40mph bicycles vs pedestrians. The physics of a person+bike impacting somebody compared with 2 tons of steel are quite substantially different.

I ride every day at 35-40mph. I am much less likely to hit pedestrians than cars or even other un-powered bicycles and even if I did, they would come out of it better than being flattened by a bus. Increase in velocity does not magically result in death and destruction.

In the Gizmodo article it mentions if you pedal you'll hit and maintain 60mph, I seriously have my doubts about that given the 5kw motor.

Yah. It's one bit I especially like about "little vehicles" like bikes and trikes, skates, etc. When you strip away the seat belts, the airbags... the "crush zones"... Makes `em inherently more dangerous for the operator ("driver") which makes them inherently SAFER FOR EVERYONE ELSE. Something about "Looking Out for Number One" makes riders more cautious. (And there's that bit about a smaller/lighter mass requiring less energy to accelerate and go up hills.)

Hehe... Not bikes, but have a friend that once showed up at the World Championship wooden duck decoy carving competition in Maryland:
https://www.wardmuseum.org/SpecialEvents/WorldChampionship/tabid/115/Default.aspx

... and "out of the blue" Canadian kid walked away with a champion award. Started out as a graphic designer/painter so attention to details. :wink: May have put a few regular show entrants noses out of joint.

Snake skin eh? Gotta check whether he want to get into hand painted bikes. :)

"New £700,000 electric bike fleet announced by government"! (From the UK...) Their fleet actually 234 bikes... Lessee... about $4500 US each. So not exactly billionaire... or even millionaire... but some might find about $4500 each a bit "spendy"?
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hampshire-34396502

"The areas to receive bikes were selected by sustainable transport charity Carplus out of the 34 bids it received." From that "A full list of the schemes" in the link I figure about ten different towns and neighbourhoods around England.

"Tim Caswell of Hourbike, which runs the existing urban bike hire scheme in Oxford, welcomed the funding as a chance to assess the demand for electric bike hire.

A number of the existing hire racks in the city will be converted to include charging points for electric bikes."

No idea whether costs include adding "charging points" or if one particular ebike seller's involved.

Eddie Kehoe of Cambridge-based electric bike retailer Electric Bike Sales chimes in:
"More people every year are discovering the joys of cycling again with a little boost.

"Once someone has tried an electric bike they never want to commute again by car and often manage with one less or no car at all saving money and gaining from healthier lifestyle.

Seen here:
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Cam...r-gives-warm/story-27905233-detail/story.html

Interesting note there:
Winners of the £700,000 fund include commuter cycle hubs at railway stations and park and ride sites, a hilly campus university encouraging students to cycle to lectures and a tourist hire scheme for bike getaways on the Isle of Wight.

[youtube]Ccw9Z5RzhTk[/youtube]

Yes folks, now YOU TOO can ride like a millionaire!

2ab51d889cd61c3908e7062e967c19be_medium.jpg

("Was $7,999.00US") Now $6,499.00US
The ZEITGEIST CITY frame is designed from advanced carbon fiber nanotubes with a Kevlar inner lining for structural support and rigidity. This ensures that the bike can withstand the most demanding road conditions while protecting the rider. Meanwhile, the frame’s aerodynamics and rider position ensure that you glide through strong winds and steep hills.

The battery is a patented, high-density lithium ion pack with Panasonic cells similar to those found on the Tesla Model S. It's removable, lockable and compact, making it easy to charge it separately from the bike and swap them out on longer rides. A full charge takes just 4 hours and, hardly ever needs replacing.

This incredible bike rockets from standstill to over 28 mph in a matter of seconds with its proven 500-watt hub motor. Its handlebar-mounted Bluetooth controller allows you to select your boost setting at one of nine levels, much like the “tiptronic” controls in a Porsche cockpit.

As you ride, the onboard computer displays battery life, boost settings and speed. With a full year of successful prototype development and extensive road tests in challenging, real world situations, you can rest assured the ZEITGEIST CITY is the best on the market.
Product Details

Colors White W/Black Trim
Materials Carbon Fiber Frame And Fork
Measurements Frame size = 20.9 inches

— Warranty: 2 Years
— Power Source: AC charger included
— Battery Type: Removable, Frame Integrated Lithium-Ion
— Batteries Included: Yes
— Cord/Adapter: Yes
— Power Output/Capacity: 110V/220V
— Installation: Yes
— Smooth Power Transfer Increases Riding Efficiency And Delivers Superb Hill Climbing Capability
— Lightweight Kevlar Lined Carbon Fiber Frame
— Carbon Fiber Fork
— Schwalbe Tires For Predictable Handling, Confident Shock Absorption And Ultimate Riding Comfort
Shipping Information

Shipping Availability Cont. USA
Shipping Policy Standard Ground Shipping
Ships In7-11 weeks ?
Return Policy
Final sale, not eligible for return

https://www.touchofmodern.com/sales/zeitgeist/zeitgeist-city

On Electric Bike Review earlier this month:
http://electricbikereview.com/zeitgeist/city/

... w/a vid on YT:
[youtube]9g49E7m4p9c[/youtube]

Back