Maxwell EPO (Grindz, Troy Rank)

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Maxwell EPO (Grindz, Troy Rank)

Post by dogman dan » Jul 10 2015 9:16am

I wouldn't say dishonesty in the photos. Just inexperience. Not easy to snap really professional photos on no budget. My solution is my garage door for a background, but that's not a professional photo either.

Good on ya, for understanding shipping the bike requires certification because of the battery. That's just one reason the $500 price tag and quick delivery on others doesn't fly.

Wish you all the luck, The nicest thing about it is the bike won't stand out as more valuable than other bikes. Imagine parking a brand new trek with BB drive outside a pub.

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jul 10 2015 3:28pm

Hyena wrote:Troy, on a vaguely related note, I'm curious why you've gone with the name Maxwell motorbikes ?
I figured the Maxwell part meant he was working with the Maxwell here on ES that already supplies frames, but that's probably an unfounded assumption. (when I first saw the name, I thought it was *just* a new bike by Maxwell).

It's hard to find a name that isn't already associated with *something* out there.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jul 13 2015 8:27am

amberwolf wrote:
Hyena wrote:Troy, on a vaguely related note, I'm curious why you've gone with the name Maxwell motorbikes ?
I figured the Maxwell part meant he was working with the Maxwell here on ES that already supplies frames, but that's probably an unfounded assumption. (when I first saw the name, I thought it was *just* a new bike by Maxwell).

It's hard to find a name that isn't already associated with *something* out there.
O wow AW, I never even though of that. Yeah, the Maxwell name is a vague reference to a 19th century physicist. It's also just a nice name.

jkbrigman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jkbrigman » Jul 13 2015 8:33am

James Clerk Maxwell was one of the pantheon of ancients who created the field (ha) of electrical engineering. I usually name my systems after what I call "the great ones":

Gauss
Faraday
Maxwell
Tesla
eRecumbent. 9C 2810, 6-FET,CA,18S3P LiPo, Kenda Kwest. 33mph max 12.8Wh/mi (22mph avg) Phat Bike Commuter HS3540, 6-FET, 18S3P LiPo, Schwalbe Marathon 47mph max 25 Wh/mi (28mph avg) Basic LiPo Charging Thread , Add Throttle to Multispeed Bike
dogman: "I bet if you just don't ride like a jerk, you can do whatever you want up to the speed where everybody looks at you like this. :shock: "
tomjasz: "Romans go full dork. They could give a hoot what 'Merkins do."

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jul 13 2015 8:55am

I kind of regret admitting that, considering how incredibly trite it is at this point, but hey, it can mean anyhting. It's just a good classic American name, so why not :)

Hyena   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hyena » Jul 13 2015 7:16pm

Hey if a South African-Canadian-American can claim the name of a Austrian-Serbian-American pioneer then why not :P
www.HyenaElectricBikes.com
Aussie high powered e-bike kits and custom performance ebikes
New FUTR and Hyena special edition Beta frames now available!
My build and HD video thread____. My youtube channel____ Hyena Facebook page
My bike is writing cheques my body can't cash...

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Jul 13 2015 9:16pm

http://www.behindthename.com/name/maxwell
From a Scottish surname meaning "Mack's stream", from the name Mack, a short form of the Scandinavian name MAGNUS, combined with Old English wella "stream". A famous bearer of the surname was James Maxwell (1831-1879), a Scottish physicist who studied gases and electromagnetism.
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jul 14 2015 9:05am

LockH wrote:http://www.behindthename.com/name/maxwell
From a Scottish surname meaning "Mack's stream", from the name Mack, a short form of the Scandinavian name MAGNUS, combined with Old English wella "stream". A famous bearer of the surname was James Maxwell (1831-1879), a Scottish physicist who studied gases and electromagnetism.
"Mack's stream" I like it :) "Magnus"

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Jul 14 2015 1:15pm

Oh oh Rochester. Headed your way:
Monday, July 13, 2015, 2:24 PM - Algae bloom may sound like a fancy ocean flower, but the muggy, green, toxic slime is far from it, and this summer is forecast to be among the most severe algal bloom seasons on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and its research partners predict that this year could become the second-most severe algae bloom season western Lake Erie's since the record-setting 2011 bloom.

Seen here:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... ord/54165/

(Looks worse than the usual crap pumped out by Torontonians into Lake Ontario.)

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Jul 14 2015 3:16pm

LockH wrote:Oh oh Rochester. Headed your way:
Monday, July 13, 2015, 2:24 PM - Algae bloom may sound like a fancy ocean flower, but the muggy, green, toxic slime is far from it, and this summer is forecast to be among the most severe algal bloom seasons on record.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and its research partners predict that this year could become the second-most severe algae bloom season western Lake Erie's since the record-setting 2011 bloom.

Seen here:
http://www.theweathernetwork.com/news/a ... ord/54165/

(Looks worse than the usual crap pumped out by Torontonians into Lake Ontario.)
It's been bad lately. It's been a slow year for sailing though, so luckily (or unfortauntely) I don't have to worry much about it this year.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Jul 24 2015 8:49am

grindz145 wrote:If that quikbyke thing succeeds after our kickstarter fails, I will kill myself. That's a promise.
Oh Oh. QB got a mention on autoglog site
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/quik ... ckstarter/

(Or Glub. Or something. :? )

GCinDC   10 GW

10 GW

Post by GCinDC » Sep 11 2015 12:03pm

hey troy, got any pics of the charge port?

sounds like it's got an on board charger. is that true?
Youtube channel, 2013 Highlights vid. Ebike Nerdcast.
Giant DH Comp: 20s lipo (11.6Ah), hs3540, Adaptto Mini-E, 900W BMSBattery charger.
GT I-Drive (sold), 20s lipo, 9C, 72V 45A 12FET.

jkbrigman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jkbrigman » Sep 12 2015 10:43pm

LockH wrote:
grindz145 wrote:If that quikbyke thing succeeds after our kickstarter fails, I will kill myself. That's a promise.
Oh Oh. QB got a mention on autoglog site
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/07/23/quik ... ckstarter/

(Or Glub. Or something. :? )
Lock you slay me. "Glub"....

Thought I would follow up: quikbyke bit the dust:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/41 ... nav_search

Troy's life is spared! Thank the gods of ebike! :P
eRecumbent. 9C 2810, 6-FET,CA,18S3P LiPo, Kenda Kwest. 33mph max 12.8Wh/mi (22mph avg) Phat Bike Commuter HS3540, 6-FET, 18S3P LiPo, Schwalbe Marathon 47mph max 25 Wh/mi (28mph avg) Basic LiPo Charging Thread , Add Throttle to Multispeed Bike
dogman: "I bet if you just don't ride like a jerk, you can do whatever you want up to the speed where everybody looks at you like this. :shock: "

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 12 2015 11:35pm

GCinDC wrote:hey troy, got any pics of the charge port?

sounds like it's got an on board charger. is that true?
No comment.... :) It's offboard for now.

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Rodney64 » Sep 23 2015 7:51am

Troy, what are the plans now. I think a light weight super commuter will
sell but it needs to be modern.

chas58   10 kW

10 kW

Post by chas58 » Sep 23 2015 10:53am

What is modern?

I love Troy's design. I built a bike like this, but with external batteries. Two years ago I needed 10 lbs of batteries, today I need about 2 lbs of batteries.

"modern" Hipster Urban style bikes are a market that is untouched by ebikes.

Flat bars make easy throttles
Bull horns are more aero and what I used
I switched to drop bars as that is even more aero and just what my mood is today. ;-)

I even play with a track bike sometimes, which is "modern and sporty" but not as practical as the fixie look single speed urban style.
25^3 bike: 25 lbs, 25 mph, 25 mile range.
Road and Mountain Bike Cute Q100 builds:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewto ... =3&t=49691

jkbrigman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jkbrigman » Sep 23 2015 12:10pm

chas58 wrote:What is modern?

I love Troy's design. .
Strongly agree. In fact, I was lamenting the fact that he couldn't go MORE classic and use a fully lugged frame (with the special headset, of course). If simple, straight handlebars are more "modern", then I'd agree with that. I'll always vote for simple handlebars for mounting mirrors, reflectors, lights, cycle computers and smartphones. A smartphone interface and app would be nice, but those kind of things tend to blow up the price.

Troy's got an interesting idea that's still fresh. Of course the Sondors is a fat bike equivalent - there are plenty of those on the market right now - but nothing that's like a fixie with the batteries embedded in the down tube. Troy's concept to keep the bike as lightweight and bike-like as possible is important. "Pedal-ability" is crucial. I've even considered a build using a lightweight road bike with a small motor and battery just to see what's possible at the light end of the ebike spectrum.

I'd say the most head-on competition he's got is from the Faraday Porteur and Faraday Porteur S: https://www.faradaybikes.com/launchporteur-s/
However, you could argue that there are enough differences in the product that there's little or no overlap in the target market. I doubt a diehard fixie fan is going to even give the Faraday a second look. Plus: Holy smokes at the price of the Faraday: $3k. For what it is, that's more than I want to pay.

BTW: what we see in the kickstarter is only the fixie version. He's got a "Signature" and "Touring" versions planned and I'm loving the ideas of the tourer. A 250Wh battery on a touring bike might be just fine if the bike is relatively close to the weight of an actual touring bike!

I imagine a Surly Disc Trucker sporting an Alfine 9 speed hub on the back, a Schlumpf up front and Troy's system. Hell, just thinking about it makes me want to slap a BBS02 on a touring bike and see what happens....
Last edited by jkbrigman on Sep 24 2015 11:21am, edited 2 times in total.

jkbrigman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jkbrigman » Sep 23 2015 7:13pm

Troy, I see your kickstarter closed and fell short of the funding goal. I'm bummed.

What next? Many people reconfigure their kickstarter campaigns and succeed. Is that in Maxwellmotorbikes future?

Rodney64   1 MW

1 MW

Post by Rodney64 » Sep 23 2015 9:00pm

New road bikes sell, Maybe try with a less classic look. I'm starting to ride my road bike now in Perth. Newer road bikes have a more relaxed riding position.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 24 2015 10:34am

jkbrigman wrote:Troy, I see your kickstarter closed and fell short of the funding goal. I'm bummed.

What next? Many people reconfigure their kickstarter campaigns and succeed. Is that in Maxwellmotorbikes future?

We're working with investors now to build the first production run within about 4 months. It's good because this way nobody has to wait many months for a bike. This way folks know exactly what they're getting and there's no surprises.

jkbrigman   10 kW

10 kW

Post by jkbrigman » Sep 24 2015 11:21am

grindz145 wrote:
jkbrigman wrote:Troy, I see your kickstarter closed and fell short of the funding goal. I'm bummed.

We're working with investors now to build the first production run within about 4 months. It's good because this way nobody has to wait many months for a bike. This way folks know exactly what they're getting and there's no surprises.
I thought that was your plan - to proceed whether the kickstarter was funded or not. EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT. Troy, I believe in the concept you are going for. I can't wait to see what you come up with for the "Signature" and the "Touring" versions of your ebikes.
I imagine a Surly Disc Trucker sporting an Alfine 9 speed hub on the back, a Schlumpf up front and Troy's system. Hell, just thinking about it makes me want to slap a BBS02 on a touring bike and see what happens....
I'd say "NuVinci", but I've heard complaints that the NuVinci hubs don't have a wide enough shifting range. The Shimano 8 and 9 speed sealed hubs are nice for that.

Regardless, I'm bugged by the fact that going with a sealed hub wipes out the ability to put a direct drive electric motor on the rear wheel. It's either mid or front drive. If you want a dynamo hub on the front, then you're down to only a mid-drive and NO Schlumpf. Damn. Maybe I forget the dynamo hub and only drive lights from the battery pack. Then with a front-drive motor, I can have the Schlumpf back....

hillzofvalp   1 MW

1 MW

Post by hillzofvalp » Sep 24 2015 12:27pm

Yay what a concept.. Building product before setting commitments to ship it.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 28 2015 12:25pm

hillzofvalp wrote:Yay what a concept.. Building product before setting commitments to ship it.
meh. taking other peoples money isn't very cool either. Bootstrapping real products (as Hills well knows) really requires more than just the cash to build a few products. R & D investments are far more than just designing the product unfortunately.

Either way, we'll make it happen, and it will be awesome!

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Sep 29 2015 6:42am

Glad you're back Troy.

grindz145   100 MW

100 MW

Post by grindz145 » Sep 29 2015 9:47am

dogman dan wrote:Glad you're back Troy.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: <^>(-_-)<^> :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: