Wish I had the money.

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
lbz5mc12   10 kW

10 kW

Wish I had the money.

Post by lbz5mc12 » Jun 27 2015 3:27am

I saw this listing on ebay and just thought I'd share it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cozy-Tricycle-B ... 3cfd17780b

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Re: Wish I had the money.

Post by neptronix » Jun 27 2015 2:56pm

Why would you want to buy that? 2 wheels in the back, 1 in the front handles terribly while turning - they immediately threaten to tip over at what, 5mph during a sharp turn?. It is quite possibly the worst design possible.

tadpole trikes perform dramatically better, even better than a regular 2 wheeler. Here's something to drool over:
http://outriderusa.com/
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

My first major build: 1.6kW 8T MAC motor on a Trek 4500.
The new all-arounder: Leafmotor 1500w @ 4kW on a Turner O2 full suspension.
The monster scooter: 20" eZee on a Cannondale Semi Recumbent.
Whipper-snapper: ? on a lightweight BikeE Semi Recumbent

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jun 27 2015 3:32pm

neptronix wrote:2 wheels in the back, 1 in the front handles terribly while turning - they immediately threaten to tip over at what, 5mph during a sharp turn?.
Depends on how you load it, and how wide it is, but generally true.

I can powerslide the SB Cruiser delta trike around turns when I have the back end loaded down with one of the dogs or heavy cargo. ;) Dunno exactly how fast but around 15MPH with a heavy enough load back there. Wears out the tires kinda fast, though. :(

John in CR   100 GW

100 GW

Post by John in CR » Jun 28 2015 1:35am

neptronix wrote:Why would you want to buy that? 2 wheels in the back, 1 in the front handles terribly while turning - they immediately threaten to tip over at what, 5mph during a sharp turn?. It is quite possibly the worst design possible.

tadpole trikes perform dramatically better, even better than a regular 2 wheeler. Here's something to drool over:
http://outriderusa.com/
Common misconceptions. With the CG high and rearward a tadpole it likely be even less stable. Here's a good article about the dynamic stability of 3 wheelers. http://www.rqriley.com/3-wheel.htm

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 28 2015 2:33am

I've ridden fast tadpole 3 wheelers and they cornered great.

Here's Matt Schumaker's 28 horsepower tadpole just drifting around like a go kart.
"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them, humanity cannot survive." - Dalai Lama

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Jun 29 2015 7:44am

Well, generally a tadpole will drift where a delta will flip, making the tadpole much safer. Yet a good rider can corner a delta on 2 wheels. I prefer the feeling of a tadpole, although I know I can handle a delta to corner much faster.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

Jonathan in Hiram   1 kW

1 kW

Post by Jonathan in Hiram » Jun 29 2015 8:45am

With a three wheeler where the CG is located both vertically and axially makes a huge difference in the handling and particularly the braking. Deltas can be made to handle pretty well but with a high and forward CG like a typical "grandma trike" they are going to flip easily cornering and do all kinds of strange stuff when braking hard with the front wheel at speed. A low and rearward CG works best on a delta and a low and forward CG on a tadpole, of course you can take either one too far so the delta wheelies on acceleration and you have to put the brakes on to steer or the tadpole nosedives on braking and spins the wheel on acceleration.

Tilting trikes of course are a different matter, a higher CG is not so much a problem, axial location of CG is still a sensitive parameter though.

There are several different ways of making a tilting delta that seem to work fairly well and aren't particularly difficult and there's one that's downright easy although it looks a bit odd.

"Any sufficiently developed magic is indistinguishable from technology" -Agatha Heterodyne
"Sometimes I get tired just smilin' " -The Checkered Demon
My recumbent "Grocery Getter" https://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/v ... =6&t=57678

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 29 2015 3:16pm

Yes, with leaning, everything changes for a delta trike. I agree.
But the cost can go up a lot.

2 wheels in the front, and the powertrain in the rear makes for easy electric conversion though, and you don't totally need suspension to get good cornering.

I would bet that a leaning tadpole trike would beat a leaning delta though in handling..

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Jun 29 2015 8:54pm

neptronix wrote: I would bet that a leaning tadpole trike would beat a leaning delta though in handling..
You would lose your bet, supposing both are built with proper balance. A tilting tadpole is still a drifter, while a tilting delta is not a flipper anymore.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street:
Trek Session 10 mod. Variable geometry. 70mph
Dirt:
Santa Cruz V10. 50mph

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » Jun 29 2015 10:43pm

Delta "granny trikes" work fine for their intended operating envelope, which is below about 12 mph/20 kph. Similarly upright tadpole trikes are none too stellar in their handling qualities either.

Low slung recumbent versions of either tadpole or delta trikes can give better handling at speed, but can't carry diddly-squat compared to a granny trike. So they're not satisfactory substitutes if your mission is toting five bags of groceries one mile at 10 mph.

My bike club mates in Seattle made a 16 gallon keg trike and a barbecue pit trike out of old granny trikes. Just try that with a KMX.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

neptronix   100 GW

100 GW

Post by neptronix » Jun 29 2015 11:05pm

MadRhino, that'd be an expensive bet to place and test. Darn :P

striider   100 W

100 W

Post by striider » Jun 30 2015 1:13am

I am trying now really hard to figure out where to put my homebrew corny kegs on my short wheelbase bike... I KNEW I got that kiddie trailer for SOMETHING!