Down under ID?

How close are you guys to this statute passed?
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/photo-id-for-cyclists-in-nsw-what-would-this-law-achieve-20150715-gicgkd

Soon a walking license required in AUS
Wasn't it a prison in the first place ? :D

Everybody should dress in yellow stripes for a protest day against legislation abuse. :mrgreen:

I dont know about aus, but everywhere else they just run the name you give them, and you are asked a bunch of questions. If they dont add up, or the cop thinks your lying they haul you in. Here its a CPIC, different levels from 1-3, a company that is hiring will do a level one which is, do you have a criminal record. You answer Yes or No. It doesnt matter if you have 18 indictments (felonies) or 1 summary (misdermeanor). Yes you do have a "criminal record" or No you dont. Pretty generic. Level 3 is in depth only authorities use it. Like when babysitters get run and they go to the copshop to run their finger prints, or you get pulled over. Also list level of danger too. There are provincial data bases too. BC for example, there have been many innocent people who have been harrassed for simply being a witness to a crime. BC however has a public data base that the public can access. Alberta doesnt.

The US constitution says you have the right to remain silent, but the supreme court says you must have an id card on you..... :?

"Firstly, just what behaviour would such a law be targeting?"

Perhaps they just want to be able to identify the body after a chance encounter with a larger conveyance.

mat h physics said:
How close are you guys to this statute passed?
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/photo-id-for-cyclists-in-nsw-what-would-this-law-achieve-20150715-gicgkd

Unfortunately very close...in fact it is already here in practice. I was threatened with arrest at my local park for not being able to produce my drivers licence for not wearing a helmet...on my pushbike...in the park.

MadRhino said:
Soon a walking license required in AUS
Wasn't it a prison in the first place ? :D

Everybody should dress in yellow stripes for a protest day against legislation abuse. :mrgreen:

Exactly. Another example of the nanny constabulary state that is New South Wales...except that when you lose freedoms at this rate it begins to feel like the penal colony it once was. Very sad.

wineboyrider said:
The US constitution says you have the right to remain silent, but the supreme court says you must have an id card on you..... :?

The SCOTUS says you must provide your full legal name if stopped by an officer (in a state with a stop and identify statute) with reasonable suspicion that you have committed a crime. Reasonable suspicion must be articulable in a court of law. If asked your name, you may ask if they have reasonable suspicion, and what that is. They are not required to tell you anything, however, because they are above the law. If they do not or will not provide you with reasonable suspicion at the time of the request, you do not technically have to provide your name. In order to even attempt to mess with the gestapo in this fashion is a good way to get tased, shot, beat down and then arrested (even if you're dead) as they tend to be a vindictive irrational hate-filled bunch with a drastically undeserved sense of superiority. You would need undetectable 3rd party video.audio evidence of the interaction to prove that RS was not established, and the DA can still get the case made with many judges, besides you're now a corpse, let's not forget! The Fifth Amendment can only apply if revealing your name could itself lead to incrimination of the suspected crime directly, and I'm not sure how that scenario would come about.

You do not have to carry ID in the US except for specific circumstances, like operating a motor vehicle or returning an item to a store, or buying alcohol.

The "am I being detained" line that you often hear being loathed by feckless pundits is to determine whether or not the rules of stop and identify are applicable to your situation. If you are not in detention, and are instead involved in a casual or consensual encounter, there is no obligation to provide a name, nor remain in the presence of the officer(s) If you are detained and an officer attempts to search you, it is because they believe they can get away with it, one way or another, legal or no. Resisting is a bad idea for most people in most cases. You can and should say "I do not consent to a search" if being probed about contents or belongings, as saying nothing can and has been shown to excuse a search if the officer claims they felt they had consent. It will only help if the officer cares about the law or repercussions, which is unlikely as there usually are none of consequence.

tl;dr; "Pick up that can, citizen." Followed immediately by: "Papers, please!"

Back