GPS tracker

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Re: GPS tracker

Post by LockH » Jun 08 2018 4:20pm

^`Kay. GPS now "hot". :lol:
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

eCue   10 kW

10 kW

Post by eCue » Jun 08 2018 10:27pm

That previous tracker was around $40 on ebay same as the below version.

It says the battery is good for a few months in standby not sure how that relates to actual use.. I expect it would drain within a week. The Chinese ad states it has a 3500mah battery its likely 1/2.
My idea is hide a small gps in a false bottom in one the bike bags much like they to do with suitcases :)

Solar charge station on wheels join the Revolution

DasDouble   100 kW

100 kW

Post by DasDouble » Jun 14 2018 5:09am

LockH wrote:
Feb 11 2018 12:09am
MadRhino wrote:
Feb 07 2018 1:39pm
Those guys at Vanmoof’s mean business, tracking a stolen bike from France to Morocco, recovering it, and finding the organized thieves network.

Your bike’s bodyguards !
Worth every penny. :twisted:
Hehe... VanMoof Bike Hunters | Ep 3: The One that Got Away

Seen here:
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... mCfjXOm.01

:mrgreen:
This is great stuff, but where can I get this gps tracker from them?
"..the crazy kid exploring hipower ebike world ^^"
-Built own ebike: ✔
-Built own 3.2kWh LiIon battery (300Amps): ✔
-Overtake Porsche with own Ebike: ✔
-Take off with ebike: ✖

~14kW, 3.2kWh LiIon, QS 205 8ml ff, hubsink

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » Jun 14 2018 10:48am

^^ Hehe... Guess NOT from VanMoof themselves, but local to me there are folks retailing "pocket-sized" GPS trackers for $130Cdn and up? Lots sold to do stuff like track cars, but also luggage, kids... dogs...
https://www.dobuydirect.com/collections ... uga-canada

Looks like the spylamp for bikes is still in biz...:
http://www.spybike.com/

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

eCue   10 kW

10 kW

Post by eCue » Jun 15 2018 8:55pm

Im thinking I will get one use it on my bike and carry it when hiking and prospecting as it is i use a return date as a safety catch.
With the gps tracker your spouse or friends can watch your progress and know where you are on google maps.

That first link you posted gps service costs $250 ca. year works out to about $20 month they also have 3 and 6 month service ,

They sell this one at costco for $160 with no contract $15 a month gps service. be nice to find a plan for $10 Im going to keep looking.

The costco reviews were positive

```````
```
``
Solar charge station on wheels join the Revolution

parabellum   10 MW

10 MW

Post by parabellum » Jun 15 2018 11:04pm

Why not just use some 10-20USD GPS tracker and cheap cel plan? I have bought several in 2011 and still use them , they send coordinate via sms (easily recognized by android phone), can map them, programmable by sms and you can establish voice connection any-time to hear whats going on. If G sensor function is enabled, GPS is off at standstill and battery holds a long time. In my case it is connected to charge point in a car (cars I need to monitor a gas usage).
It is 2018 now but they look like those guys: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Spy-Vehic ... SwsEhbIMjR
Any problem to get 5V there?

annieryder   1 µW

1 µW

Post by annieryder » Sep 12 2018 8:49pm

Here is my 2 cents.
GPS has a few problems.
Always needs a battery.
Always need an antennae.
Accuracy.
Battery causes a problem because now you need to be able to access the device, so putting it somewhere hard for the crock to find makes it hard for you to get to.
GPS needs to be able to communicate to let you know where it is so having it buried in you seat tube, tires, etc stops the signal from working. Accuracy the best GPS in the world is probably in you iPhone and now think of how it doesn't work in undergrounds, elevators, and apartment building.
A lot of bikes end up in a flop house where the fence lives. This guys are usually armed because of the amount property. They have much more to loose than just a bike.
Now lets phone the cops they see that the GPS is coming back to an apartment building or house with a 300 meter radius. Problem with that is how do they tell a judge that without a doubt the bike is in 123 main st and not 121 or 125.
Save your money buy a good lock $150.00 learn how to lock your bike and register your bike with project 529.
Im not saying that tech won't be able to help us one day but right now it's just not there. There are way more details I could tell you but thats this is the cheat notes.

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Sep 12 2018 9:33pm

^^ Thank you A. Many here carry batteries [giggle giggle] and use DC-DC converters to run lots of non motor-related accessories? Any chance any/many GPS units can be "battery free" and wired to draw a pinch of "house power"?

EDIT: Welcome aboard the `Sphere, BTW. :)

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » Sep 12 2018 10:16pm

K9 Tracking Device Wifi GPS Locator Vibration Alarm Tracker For E-bike Scooter
https://www.banggood.com/K9-Tracking-De ... eviewsWrap
CA$50.16

One Review:
Works as described! And much more! Settings can be changed remotely by application on cell phone! I like this thing ) My opinion that main goal of this product is ability to call on you cell phone, if bike have a strong vibration or impact ( sensitivity can be adjusted or disabled). Position can be refreshed by 15s or 1 minute (power saving mode) interval, this setting can also remotely changed. 5 of 5 stars. P.S. Who write "dont working" in comments - please turn on you brains and learn how to read a manual! You need only sim card WITHOUT pin code verification! Otherwise device not started!