Configuration: 4S1P / 14.8V / 4Cell
Constant Discharge: 10C
Peak Discharge (10sec): 20C
Pack Weight: 1610g
Pack Size: 200 x 90x 40mm
Charge Plug: JST-XH
Discharge Plug: XT90

spinningmagnets said:
I wonder what RC models would use this? I'm told E-bikes are still a very small segment of the LiPo customer base.

There are some big badass quad copters out there. Some can lift that plus dual Red cameras. Usually octocopters.

jesusjesus said:
The future looks bright :)

and no parallel cells nice

Yeh that's what stands out for me. However their price per watt is still not as good as their 16 or 12ah

90mm is the PERFECT width for cramming into an EM3EV triangle bag, but I'm not sure you'd be able to get more than two in there. If anyone does manage to fit four in, then I'm sold!

If e bikes were the market for that pack, they'd be 7s.

Big lipo bricks are making a battery simple and compact. I am using 10Ah 25-40C cells, 5C charge, 11 Lbs total battery weight for 24s. I have seen even better C-rate and density in some big bricks, yet much more expansive.

The only problem with big lipo brcks, is heat. The middle cells don't have much chance to cool. I did compare 6s and 8s bricks of the same cells, on the same bike, and the 8s lost capacity much sooner. This might be negligible with lower power systems, I am discharging and charging very fast, and that is hard on any battery life.

+ 1 , Yes , Exactly !
the lack of a 7s is why I am not buying . My thoughts are now on 18650's so I can make/buy a 14s pack.
As well as the safety , and a simple AC charger .

dogman dan said:
If e bikes were the market for that pack, they'd be 7s.

ScooterMan101 said:
+ 1 , Yes , Exactly !
the lack of a 7s is why I am not buying . My thoughts are now on 18650's so I can make/buy a 14s pack.

An 18650 kit with same AH ? mmm I still cant match 18650 to lipo prices.

Well, you can just buy two 6s, then add whatever it takes to have 2s 20 ah more. I've been doing two 6s and one 2s for a long time. 7s would be nice though, because my mower runs better on 7s than 6s. When packs get old, I run my mower on them.

For sure though, easiest to just buy a bms protected 18650 pack, if huge discharge rates are not needed.

But yeah, whether it's one big pack, or a big stack of little packs, the center ones get hotter. So the convenience of just buying more lipos when they wear out fast is one plus for them. Wear out fast because you ride like mad I mean. Carry more capacity is the fix for that, but hard dirt riding demands a light battery.

No like for these beasts for ebike purposes. Small batts enable custom form factors and easy fix when any of the cells starts to die, which HAS happened to ALL of my previous HK lipo battery packs within 1-2.5 years from purchase. I always had a spare that I could use in that case. Buying an extra 440Wh lipo brick is an expensive way of keeping spares. Mixing new and old is not so preferred, and they may not be available when you need them, or even discontinued.
Parallel leads are dirt cheap and work flawlessly once the plugs are sealed with silicone or other glue.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__27075__JST_XH_Parallel_Balance_Lead_6S_250mm_6xJST_XH_.html

Now there's a hunk of battery! At $160 you're looking at $0.36 per Watt-hour, which is a bit cheaper than zippy and some of the others brands. I commonly see $0.41/Whr in my daily window-shopping.

window-licker-kawaii-o.gif

Also if you hover you might get $20 knocked off the price:

MS20ah.jpg

That higher cost is why I have not yet bought a ready made 18650 pack , I might be back on the decision making fence again in regards to hobby li-po's vs 18650''s .

Jestronix said:
ScooterMan101 said:
+ 1 , Yes , Exactly !

An 18650 kit with same AH ? mmm I still cant match 18650 to lipo prices.

Perhaps then 4 , 4s packs ?
One could then get the 12.5 or 16 amp hour packs and still have a good amount of watt hours.
Would that ( 4 x 4s packs ) be better for charging , cost of charger , balancing etc ?

TotalConfusion said:
They are for sale in Australia in 6s & 4s so you can make 14s with two 4s packs and a 6s pack aswell as 20s or 22s and so on.

I've put together a brief spreadsheet of the Multistar packs for comparison if anyone's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W41rjVDKoyWpvP4ztPbINtFTxXSp3tgTxIbXBsZdlos/edit?usp=sharing

It's read-only, so let me know if you think of any worthwhile additions or adjustments.

Dan

danielrlee said:
I've put together a brief spreadsheet of the Multistar packs for comparison if anyone's interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W41rjVDKoyWpvP4ztPbINtFTxXSp3tgTxIbXBsZdlos/edit?usp=sharing

It's read-only, so let me know if you think of any worthwhile additions or adjustments.

Dan

Thanks Dan, looks good, just need the price comparison. Actually we need a massive spreadsheet with all batteries, and cost of materials etc. Each battery with a discharge test etc. The ultimate ebike battery comparison! lots of work in there.

spinningmagnets said:
I wonder what RC models would use this? I'm told E-bikes are still a very small segment of the LiPo customer base.

My last two multirotors flew on 60Ah packs...

liveforphysics said:
spinningmagnets said:

My last two multirotors flew on 60Ah packs...

wow heavy lift beasts ? i ran a 1200 radius octo with 400kv motors and 14/7 blades, that might lift 20ah but 60! Kracken ? DJI wont lift that!

Jestronix said:
danielrlee said:

Dan

Thanks Dan, looks good, just need the price comparison. Actually we need a massive spreadsheet with all batteries, and cost of materials etc. Each battery with a discharge test etc. The ultimate ebike battery comparison! lots of work in there.
I decided to omit any pricing information due to the frequent fluctuations and regional variations. Also, IMO it seems short sighted for anyone to let their ideal pack configuration to be influenced by a small difference in cost per Wh.

mmm I found up to 10% difference between the 16000mah and the 20000 mah, the 16000 really hits a good price point. but yeh not enough to make a huge difference. I sometimes think more smaller packs in parallel are nicer, if you get a bad cell its far cheaper to fix. those 6s 20ah would hurt if you got one bad cell.

Jestronix said:
mmm I found up to 10% difference between the 16000mah and the 20000 mah, the 16000 really hits a good price point. but yeh not enough to make a huge difference. I sometimes think more smaller packs in parallel are nicer, if you get a bad cell its far cheaper to fix. those 6s 20ah would hurt if you got one bad cell.
That would be the only issue that holds me back. Saying that, I've not heard any issues regarding the multistar packs being DOA. I think lico manufacturing has improved since some of the horror stories of yesteryear, although maybe someone else can set me straight on that.

Back