GPS trackers?

Wheazel

10 kW
Ive seen some discussions of gps trackers and security here on the ES, but didnt really see any good examples of integrated functionality.
I am thinking with all the fighters/bombers/vectors/greyborgs and other bikes with the battery inside the frame, gps installations would become more common.
Are there any good references here on the ES I havent found?

I want to install a gps system on my cargobike.
I dont want anything external or to change batteries, I want to build it into my bike. Invisible and maintenance free connected to the bikes permanently installed battery.

Where can I find such a solution? I do realize I would need some light curcuit to transform 18s down to the devices voltage level.

Just make your choice among all the models available on AliExpress.
I like those that are Txt Mssg based operation with AGPS mapping because I can get unlimited Txt Mssg for 100$ per yr, but many will prefer realtime tracking software. There are some very complete GPS security systems for motorcycles that are not very expansive, or very small dongles that can be hidden pretty good on your ebike.

But what about mounting options? Any metal shell wont work according to discussions I have seen on various forums. Even tinted windows are claimed to cause problems, dont know how accurate that is.
My entire bike is built from sheetmetal and chromo, and the best spot to hide a small tracker device would be inside the batterybox under the cargobay in my case, but thats a nogo apperently.
Perhaps under/inside the plastic seat, but then there are more or less exposed wires and I dislike having a cable running to the seatpost.

Maybe I am forced to build the front cover out of fiberglass, if I wanna make the installation invisible.
I should have planned for this during the build...

I will read up more on aliexpress and see what I can find.

The bike in question:
VLJ86_zpsk5jg0ywd.jpg

Some of the cheaper trackers don't have a gps module in them even though they have "GPS" in the listing title. Instead they use the phone network for positioning, which isn't as accurate. Read the listing carefully for clues, or look at any photos of the electronics. You'll soon figure out what a gps module looks like.

Wheazel said:
francoisboivin said:
You can always use a old cellphone with GPS.

How would that work? How do I set such a system up?à.
I find it a tad too expansive, but it does work real good.
There are many smartphone applications that are perfect for this purpose. Some like Path Share, transmits realtime GPS position and speed, so fellow riders can keep track of each each other.

I've been looking into this for a while as well but there doesn't seem to be any solution at a reasonable price! All these GPS trackers specialized for bike are ridiculous prices..
I just want a small GPS tracker that has realtime and accurate tracking for a cheap price.
If anyone finds any solutions I'd be happy to hear, I like the idea of an old cellphone especially if it was an android phone and you could just download an app that would allow you to track your phone online with maps although I imagine to get a data plan for that phone would cost a lot.

For those of us , like me and others , who do Not .. have a data plan on my phone ( it is only talk and text )
How would a GPS or an old smartphone work ?

What inexpensive system would work ?

Cheap Chinese GPS just do that: They send txt mssgs at preset intervals with GPS coordinates, the conditions and parameters are programmed via txt mssg. So you need only an unlimited txt mssg cell plan, that is 100$ per year here.

With a full data plan you can use better GPS modules or any smartphone, and benefit of a much better real time tracking, but you'd pay much more to your service provider in a year.

On your big cargo bike, I guess you could easily fit a car or motorcycle complete security kit. That is with fully programmable alarm, power cut off, audio listening and real time tracking... Some even have video and audio recording, with many levels of vehicle anti-theft protection. Not saying that your cargo bike is likely to be stolen, here I'd go without any security for those are not a common pick for thieves, who prefer to steal a bike not too remarkable.

Going back a few decades to my classic car and vintage motorcycle period I used automotive RF pager systems.

Good for about 1/2 mile range using a small pager which alerts if door, motion or sound sensors trip.

Not the kinda thing that’s gonna help locate a stolen vehicle but my reasoning was more for shopping trips or events where I just wanted to know and react if there were any bumps, dings or plundering shit going down while inside a store, eatery, mall, etc.

The systems I used were old CB band AM. I’m sure newer UHF stuff probably way better.

Over here in the UK, we have a cellular provider called 'GiffGaff' and they give free GiffGaff-to-GiffGaff calls and texts if you keep your SIM topped up every three months, which can be done for £20 annually. This is my setup and the tracker I use is the catchily titled 'GPS303E', designed to be used with EVs.

Back