Bicycle Locks

markz

100 TW
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-bike-lock/

Krypotnite New York
or Kryptonite Evolution

This website was interesting
http://www.stichtingart.nl/sloten_resultaat.asp

There was plenty of videos in youtube of Bolt-Cutters cutting U-lock, all sorts, including Kryptonite in a few seconds.
A couple of years ago I did some research and what I found out is that is more important the thickness of the metal shackle in the lock than being made of the strongest alloy. The explanation was simple, a Bolt-Cutter can't tackle a thick shackle (you need a bigger Bolt-cutter, more expensive and almost impossible to conceal in your body or in a bag), and I wanted to believe it :D :D :D :D If interested I'll have a look at my U-lock model and I'll let you know.

`Been resisting buying any lock (recumbent cruiser trike from Cali company pretty unusual in these parts) but wish list includes 1) GPS Tracker installed (hidden) in frame... somewhere.

Like from these folks:
http://www.spybike.com/

From my reading of the link I provided, a U lock with it locked on both sides was the best as the thief has to cut both sides.
Also, lock up the wheels and seat as well with a cable lock. Dont buy an expensive bike, or if you do, bring it in with you or always keep an eye on it.
I like the idea of GPS with motion sensor, then if your in a store and you get the signal your bike has been touched or moved you can walk/run out and see whats up. I had a department store bike that didnt even last a day on Hastings Street in Downtown Scumbag Vancouver. Though, I had a department store $20 U lock. Probably a flat head screw driver was all that was needed, and thats a defacto thief tool.

I will buy the Kryptonite New Yorker, with cable lock and a GPS. I knew a guy who stole bikes, all he had were wire cutters. I always look at bikes now, and see how they are locked. In some tourist towns, its amazing the amount of people who use cable locks and pad locks on nice bikes. Dollarstore cables can be cut with pliers with a cutter at the pivot.

Justin expensive bike from ebikes.ca was stolen, by what he thought was a cordless grinder/cut off wheel. I had a nicer bike stolen from in front of a Safeway grocery store, but theres a back story, left it overnight and left it for a few days.

I think the best is to get what looks like a crappy frame, and install good parts on it that look crappy. You scratch the frame and parts, and let it rust. Or spray paint it f-ugly.

Kryptonite is a brand, not a model. They make a whole range of locks, from almost useless cables, to cheap crappy U-locks for sale at big-box stores, to very secure heavy U-locks and hardened chains.

Remember that the lock is only one piece of the equation. There is also your method of locking, the object you lock up to, the apparent value of the bike you lock up, and the location where you lock it.

Yes what you lock it up too is important. 2 concrete bolts for street sign/post, or a concreted post however even then you have to look up and see if its a sign with a flat head clamp or a side post welded.

I think the New Yorker models are the best for Kryponite brand arent they?

markz said:
I think the New Yorker models are the best for Kryponite brand arent they?

That was the premier line for Kryptonite when it was introduced. Whether it's the same as ever, I can't say-- but those are heavy, strong locks in any case. There's a newer, presumably even more secure line they call Fahgettaboudit.

Yes its the Krypontite New York Fahgettaboudit. New York is their Ultimate line.
I actually found some truckers chain, about 12' years ago, that stuff was heavy and expensive. Found it on the road in an industrial area, must have fallen off truck, I always wondered if that chain was bolt cutter proof.

skylock.jpg

http://www.skylock.cc/

Keyless
Skylock connects to your phone so you never have to worry about losing a key

Theft Alert
Skylock uses its accelerometer to notify you that your bike is being tampered with. if your bike shakes, Skylock will feel it, and send you an alert.

Wireless Range
Skylock's custom antenna means your bluetooth signal will stay connected when it matters most. Approx 200m in range.

Tap to Unlock
Skylock has a capacitive touch interface to unlock your bike in case your phone dies. A clever use of LEDs provides visual feedback when you need it most.

Solar Power
Built-in solar panel that recharges the battery. 12 hours of sunlight will provide enough power for 6 months

Skylock
3-axis accelerometer
LED indicators
Capacitive touch interface
Active motor control
Shackle insertion detection
Weather resistant
Shockproof and ruggedized
Hardned steel shackle
Hardned steel housing
Impact resistant rubber shell
External Dimensions: 8.6” W x 5.7” H
Internal Dimensions: 4.5” W x 6.5” H
Weight: 2.5 lbs

:)

Any cable type lock can be defeated easily with toenail clippers and a bic lighter. Heating the cable makes it nibble easier, but its not mandatory. And the thief is not carrying around "burglar tools" .

But if they are real pros, they are in and out so fast they don't care about the tools. Nothing resists long, against the modern cordless 4" grinder. Cables cut in a fraction of a second, and the hardest U locks in seconds. The pro's sweep in, and fill a van in about 90 seconds. Then they are out of town in another few min. They travel, with a route of fences they use in each next town. Unload, then load up again the next night and move on a few hundred miles. They like to hit college campuses. The way I know this, is the fence in my local town told me about it. Different in big cities, but that's how they work out west.

Lets see you get out there that fast, when your phone chimes. :lol: The casual tweaker thief, he might dork around there long enough to get out there. But then what? Pull your 44 magnum and say make my day?

Here is a comprehensive and upto date list of bike locks from another forum.

https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/

GrantW said:
Here is a comprehensive and upto date list of bike locks from another forum.
https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/

Watt doesn't mention the Skylock.

:)

That's why I put together my own lock. It weighs in at a hefty 7 lbs. 6 oz though.

It's made of:

3 feet of 3/8" Grade 120 Steel Transport chain. (strong enough to hang a car from; square links;Made in Austria [like Arnold])
MasterLock 6527 - 7/16" Shrouded Shackle (Makes it a BITCH, if not impossible, to get cutters on)
Thick old bike tube as a sleeve
zipties to hold the sleeve at the ends.

If you are to replicate this, know that it takes some skill to lock this at first. I spec'd these to be a tight fit and fill up the shackle to make it even more difficult to cut. It is actually so tight, that until some of the paint wears off the links, you'll have difficulty locking it. I have to line up the links so that they sit in a particular orientation. Now that I have used it for some time, it is much easier to click in.

For my wife's bike, to make it easier to lock and still have a good amount of security, I built a set using Master Lock 6525 (thinner shackle) and 5/16" Chain (same grade but black for some reason), again using a tube as a sleeve.

I feel really confident that, short of a blow torch or angle grinder, you won't get my bike. And even with either of those tools, it is not going to be a quick nor attention free activity. That should buy me extra time for 'preparations'

Yes, cal, thats the chain I had, although mine was more of a goldish color. A fellow acquaintence of mine is a trucker and he said the chain I had was worth $200 or more new. Heavy as can be though. I like that lock, how much? $30 aint bad!

A bigger looking lock can be good security, along with a shitty looking bike. At least that heavy chain takes more than a tiny nibbler to cut. This can work really well when a better looking bike has a smaller lock right next to you. A reallllly ugly bike can literally sit unlocked, at least in the smaller cities anyway.

That's very effective on the casual, more or less amateur bike thief. The brain dead tweaker type I mean. The pros defeat all locks in seconds with a cordless grinder, even that log chain.

Mostly, I rely on in and out of a store quick, never parking it out in the dark, etc. Easy for the retired, or semi retired works at home guy.

markz said:
Yes its the Krypontite New York Fahgettaboudit. New York is their Ultimate line.
I actually found some truckers chain, about 12' years ago, that stuff was heavy and expensive. Found it on the road in an industrial area, must have fallen off truck, I always wondered if that chain was bolt cutter proof.

heres a hint... when they sell this chain, it comes in a bucket. they pull out however much they want, then they use a bolt cutter to cut it to length. lol.

I semi-witnessed a bike theft a couple months ago. They recently passed a law to stop people from locking bikes everywhere. I admit, it was annoying because idiots would block the sidewalk and parking meters. So the racks are now full of people who dont know how to use racks.
I see a few nice bikes in the rack as I go inside.. later when I came out, there are two guys at the rack. One is missing his bike, except his front wheel is there. The other is missing his front wheel, but his bike is there.
Dont forget to lock up both the wheels and the bike... or you're just helping some thief. lol.

MrDude_1 said:
later when I came out, there are two guys at the rack. One is missing his bike, except his front wheel is there. The other is missing his front wheel, but his bike is there.

My observation suggests that this is exactly why most front wheels get stolen. A thief makes off with a bike some ding-a-ling locked up by only the front wheel, but then he needs a front wheel to ride it away/sell it quickly. That's not really any fault of the person who locked his bike but has a QR front wheel.

People do some really dumb things when it comes to locking their bikes. Some of my favorites include

- "locking" up to chain link, often just to the top tube

- putting the lock around the seat post

- locking to short poles that have nothing on top, enabling the bike to be lifted off

- "freelocking", i.e. locking a wheel to the frame, but not to any immovable object

- leaving their lock combination set and visible whenever the bike isn't actually locked to something

- lifting their front wheel up and over the top of a rail-and-picket bike rack, thus enabling easy locking but also smashing their shift cable stops flat.

Chalo said:
lifting their front wheel up and over the top of a rail-and-picket bike rack, thus enabling easy locking but also smashing their shift cable stops flat.

I dont have a problem with locking bikes this way (as long as you dont mind the scratches)
I have a problem with them putting the damn cables there. lol.

999zip999 said:
Gps tell me more.

Hehe... Tried tapping about it earlier in this thread but it seems "off topic" or something. Was beginning to wonder whether my posting here were being shrouded or something. :)

`Couple of years ago I did exchange a few emails with Jason Cecchettini (President, Pegasus Technologies, Inc)
http://pegtech.com/

But for Jason, the Euro tech he had was not pricey enough at that time... something like that. No "profit" at too cheap pricing. Anyway... I'm reminded to contact J again as he had thoughts then to develop his own "North American Version".

I figure, not much chance of detering many thieves in this world of portable cutters... so better to hide a tracker somewhere like the Cops already have "Bait Bikes" - covered by CCTV cameras - but using a tracker approach? Greater chance of just emailing the police a url and let THEM do the hunting and gathering. :wink:

Bike folks can hide this tech in their bike downtubes or somewhere:
c1fd3abef0497662fa8546d1921e05f5_large.gif

Maybe a conductor inside the lock, when its cut you know for sure. Where as motion, is just a dude locking a bike up next to yours and it would alarm.
Motion would be good for entry level system, then if you want cut detecting would be top of the line. Better start running faster with your baseball bat.

I just added a Kryptonite New York Standard. VERY stout 16MM hardened steel. Will resist most attacks but if left in a sheltered spot an angle grinder with two very noisy cuts in a minute will knock it off. But used with a cable to secure wheels it will probably be all I ever need. From hours of reading 16-18MM is the most resistant size. Several articles claimed to interview NY bike thieves who said these locks were usually enough to make it nor worth their time. But I imagine an overnight park in a sheltered spot, on a uber expensive bike, will lead to a loss. They also offer extended theft coverage but it reads like a nightmare to collect.

Chalo said:
MrDude_1 said:
later when I came out, there are two guys at the rack. One is missing his bike, except his front wheel is there. The other is missing his front wheel, but his bike is there.

My observation suggests that this is exactly why most front wheels get stolen. A thief makes off with a bike some ding-a-ling locked up by only the front wheel, but then he needs a front wheel to ride it away/sell it quickly. That's not really any fault of the person who locked his bike but has a QR front wheel.

People do some really dumb things when it comes to locking their bikes. Some of my favorites include

- "locking" up to chain link, often just to the top tube

- putting the lock around the seat post

- locking to short poles that have nothing on top, enabling the bike to be lifted off

- "freelocking", i.e. locking a wheel to the frame, but not to any immovable object

- leaving their lock combination set and visible whenever the bike isn't actually locked to something

- lifting their front wheel up and over the top of a rail-and-picket bike rack, thus enabling easy locking but also smashing their shift cable stops flat.

That would be me. The markets in the town where I work have no real facilities for locking up; so I frequently free-lock (a very common practice when I lived outside of the the states). Sometimes I just roll it in the market and use it as my trolley.

One afternoon I was locking up and it was a real affair due to the lack of any real means to lock up. Some absolute thug looking guys wander over and the "thug leader" makes the comment that I am one of his nephews teachers and not to worry, they know what my bike looks like and if it is stolen they will get it back.

Somehow I think he was serious. All the same, I would rather not owe any favors to any criminal organizations (this town has a real drug problem but; almost ironically, a very low crime rate among non-voluntary participants. . . I am not saying it is good; but they police their own and the police look the other way).

Hehe... With my first "bike" (standup kick scooter with "extra kick" via 2x 12V 10Ah batts) could wheel right into the grocery store and rest a basket on the base/deck and walk up/down their aisles. At one point one store employee had a "problem" but had to admit my "grocery cart" was smaller than THEIR grocery carts. :) So never had to bother with a lock or leaving the bike outside. :wink:

Back