Rainsuit Onesy - leave on bike

1JohnFoster

100 W
This thread is for discussion of leaving wet rain gear on a normal ebike while it's parked outside. "Just get a velomobile", or "try a fairing or collapsible bike roof" are OT.

I do a lot of local trips by ebike, and need to get in and out of buildings quickly. I show up at the door in normal clothes with an umbrella and a shoulder bag. I can't meet people dragging 20lbs of dripping baggy wear in 7 pieces, or lugging in bikefreak bags. I can't be having conversations like, "So, you're a bike freak ... I completely do not relate to you and don't want to work with you...".

So I'm trying to make a rainsuit onesy. I don't care how ridiculous it looks, I'll park around the corner with the suit locked to the bike and draped over the seat like the bike rider just disapparated.
Criteria:
- Comes on & off in <10 seconds while standing on a sidewalk in the rain
- Covers hands, boots, legs (everything except head)
- Don't need breathable fabric- I don't need to pedal and I can just have pit zips.

If anyone has made something like this or knows of a commercially available one, please post. On topic suggestions, criticisms and ridicule also welcome. :twisted:

Available alternatives I've already looked at:
Bike capes: I used a heavy bike cape for a couple of years. I left it draped over the bike, locked through the head hole. Very simple, worked OK, but the cape left my pants exposed to get drenched by passing taxis on the Stanley Park causeway.
Bike Suit: http://www.bikesuit.eu/ - has it's own thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66325&p=997347&hilit=rain+suit#p997076
I might get one of these if I don't find something better. What I don't like; too long to get on & off. Too fiddly, will break. Looks too nice, will get stolen. Doesn't cover hands. Only comes in black.

An on/off in under 10 seconds head-to-toe durable plastic bag for rain bike riding sounds interesting. I hope you pull it off, because it would be marketable here to all the moto courier guys.

John in CR said:
An on/off in under 10 seconds head-to-toe durable plastic bag for rain bike riding sounds interesting. I hope you pull it off, because it would be marketable here to all the moto courier guys.

Thanks for the encouragement John. I really suck at business, and even if I got this to be really functional I suspect few people would want something so silly looking.

So I started hacking up an XL size chem suit I got from the used building supply. Cut & duct taped the bottoms of the legs to accommodate my boots. Cut a bit slit in the bum, because I figured if any water gets down there I just want it to run out. The material can just hang down all around the seat. I cut armpit slits for ventilation. It looks completely ridiculous and makes a loud crinkling noise. Unfortunately the wife saw me in it :oops: That's OK, at 50 who cares about anything.

IMG_4576.JPG
I can lock it to the seat through the bum hole. When draped, I notice that the armpit holes might take some rain in. Oh well, it will just run out the sleeves. I can get in or out in about 4 seconds!
View attachment 1
Tychem XL.jpg

Okay.....I just checked Wal-Mart.com rain suits from. 11 bucks to 60 bucks......but they are two piece suits....but you could take them off quickly....does it have to be one piece because of fashion? Rain Rancho 10 bucks...but it's not full body...I use a xl pancho and hiking boots...but from the shins ...they do get wet..the pancho can be put in briefcase or backpack or put in water bottle,since it's raining you don't need to carry water right,

However the really world 2 piece suit does seem more functional.

mountain biker said:
Okay.....I just checked Wal-Mart.com rain suits from. 11 bucks to 60 bucks......
Thanks, that's a great idea, they must have a good stock at Wal-Mart here in Raincouver BC. Silly me, I was looking in MEC, which is all about backcountry fashion.

but they are two piece suits....but you could take them off quickly....
OK, time yourself and report back here. Include pulling off boots while balancing on one foot, drying your feet, replacing your socks, putting on shoes and stuffing everything wherever you stuff it, locking all the stuffing to your bike, and remember, you're out on a rainy sidewalk and about to meet a customer now... :)

does it have to be one piece because of fashion?
Absolutely! Check my inimitable style in the photos above!

However the really world 2 piece suit does seem more functional.
Well, 2 piece +2 boots 4 piece + 2 mits = 6 piece, +helmet cover=7 pieces!, but sure that works fine for the odd rainy day.

My "real world" includes having to not looking like a bike freak and hour long visits to boiler rooms. Wearing plastic rain pants isn't the best idea, and I really don't need to hear "why the rain pants, is your truck leaking?, har! har! har!". Also, I don't stuff anything into anything as it would come out one big sog. It rains _all_the_time_ here!

We don't need a "rainy day" solution, we need a "rainy season" solution.

I love my mec shell rain gear. Full side zips on the pants come off super fast, bulky cut jacket. Wear good leather hiking boots on rain days and they look good in the boiler room.

Btw are you an inspector, consultant, engineer etc?

Grizzl-E said:
I love my mec shell rain gear. Full side zips on the pants come off super fast, bulky cut jacket. Wear good leather hiking boots on rain days and they look good in the boiler room.
Btw are you an inspector, consultant, engineer etc?

I just got a new MEC jacket & pants as back up. Yes, it's all good stuff. I have to wear CSA work boots, mine are good leather and I grease them all the time. I couldn't care less what they look like, but they are comfy and they have to have the green triangle. They're pretty good in rain, but that isn't good enough, I need 100%.

Where do I put the rain gear? $300 worth just rolled up in an unlockable pannier on the bike, the outsides getting the insides all wet! The routine is yank the panniers off, wiggle the lock through the pannier handle as well as the helmet and the wheel, the lock always catches annoyingly. Standing in the cold rain, bending over, fiddling with the key, and the damn U-lock bar, which I often drop. And secure the pannier through what? a fabric handle! I've lost track of how many Ortlieb panniers I've lost over the years - lifted off bikes, left on buses, left god-knows-where.

I'm a consultant - energy savings, utility rebates.

Why do bikers always figure we have to settle for "good enough?". Why have bikes and gear that come apart in a zillion silly pieces? Would you drive a car with quick release wheels that you have to run a lock through whenever you park, a trunk that's just strapped on, a roof and windshield that clips on for "rain days"? Nuts!

Check Home Depot or Lowes or a hardware store like those...Cordova C-Max : large coveralls with attached hood...(or try Tyvex Suit or auto paint suit) not sure how water proof they are...but does says it protects against : liquids.... front zip-up, and made big to fit over work clothes and boots...could maybe treat it with some kind of water-repellant spray or something... or use the suit as a "starting point"---a full one piece zip up suit with hood, and then reinforce it where needed for protection against rain: like maybe shoulders, torso, top of arms and legs---glue/patch on some old cut up rain coat fabric or something. Or just go over the whole suit and cover it all with water-proof fabric...using the hardware store suit as your "canvas" for your final creation.

And cheap...only like 5 usd for coverall suit...and old raincoat, free

clearly you're not familiar with Aerostitch. They're the makers of Roadcrafter motorcycle suits.
check them out, and you'll see how they do it so its very fast on/off and waterproof. one big zipper and one small one. on and off in seconds.

Those motorcycle suits look nice...look durable comfortable and hopefully waterproof as well...but they are like over $1000...he wants to be able to leave it with his bike...or somewhere to lay it out to dry without worrying about someone hopping in it and walking off with his 1000 dollar rain coat.

JiggityJoe said:
Those motorcycle suits look nice...look durable comfortable and hopefully waterproof as well...but they are like over $1000...he wants to be able to leave it with his bike...or somewhere to lay it out to dry without worrying about someone hopping in it and walking off with his 1000 dollar rain coat.

he said he wants to make something. not buy.

This is a design for a rainsuit onsie.. he doesnt need the padding, or other features... but the one diagonal zipper and one leg zipper layout makes it an easy on/off affair. its waterproof (use a watertight zipper) and it is proven to work.

I have a Grundens hooded rain coverall I bought at Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply years ago, to use as a motorcycle rain suit. It's size 4XLT, which was not available in any motorcycle gear.

I think I paid about $170 for it at the time; I was surprised to get it so inexpensively, considering its size and quality.

MrDude_1 said:
JiggityJoe said:

he said he wants to make something. not buy.

This is a design for a rainsuit onsie.. he doesnt need the padding, or other features... but the one diagonal zipper and one leg zipper layout makes it an easy on/off affair. its waterproof (use a watertight zipper) and it is proven to work.

Oh ok, you were suggesting it as an idea to base off of...I thought you were suggesting he buy one...like someone else suggested the MEC jacket and pants, but OP said was too expensive to leave on bike.

He did say he got that XL Chem suit he hacked up at work, so figured he might be able to get his hands on a suit similar to the one I mentioned, possibly for free, at work as well... or just spend the $5 on a suit and "make" his own final rain proof product with free stuff around the house. Could still be a cheap enough solution and with alterations to be considered "making something".

Thanks Mr_Dude & Chalo,

Both Aerostitch & Grundens are good search terms - they turn up lots of ads for waterproof coveralls of all kinds. Reminds me to check the local marine places too, you never know.

The long zipper down one leg was what I was hoping to find at first, but seems to be available only in heavy insulated coveralls of all kinds.
All the un-insulated coveralls I've seen so far (except bikesuit) have a center zipper down just to the waist . Not ideal, but OK with a really big size which I need anyway for bike posture.
I've got cash at present and am not adverse to buying if I can get something that works well enough which looks non-sparkly to passing thieves.

There's a great variety of less crinkly types of semi-disposable chem suits. Prices are all over the map, and ads never mention if seams are taped. Hard to know what things are without seeing them, I'll have to get over to an Acklands.
$100: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...play.do?item_code=RON44145XL&searchClick=true
$20 actual Tyvek branded, so may be less likely to disintegrate at the seams: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...roductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=DUCTY122S-XL
$10: https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/AG...ProductDetailDisplay.do?item_code=CDRDCA1P-XL - claims to be breathable, but not likely to have seam tape at this price.

Ones with built in boots have cuff elastics, but maybe I can cut them out from the inside (to get on & off easier). I'll have to put some sort of chain guard on the bike.

JiggityJoe said:
Check Home Depot or Lowes or a hardware store like those...Cordova C-Max : large coveralls with attached hood...(or try Tyvex Suit or auto paint suit) not sure how water proof they are...but does says it protects against : liquids.... front zip-up, and made big to fit over work clothes and boots...could maybe treat it with some kind of water-repellant spray or something... or use the suit as a "starting point"---a full one piece zip up suit with hood, and then reinforce it where needed for protection against rain: like maybe shoulders, torso, top of arms and legs---glue/patch on some old cut up rain coat fabric or something. Or just go over the whole suit and cover it all with water-proof fabric...using the hardware store suit as your "canvas" for your final creation.

And cheap...only like 5 usd for coverall suit...and old raincoat, free

Home Depot... yet another place to check ... I could spend days... so far I have Acklands, Canadian Tire, Wall Mart, Western Marine, the Kitsilano marine store district, Italian Sporting Goods, (hunting & fishing supply), Army & Navy. (Yes, I did try the big MC store - Carter Honda, but they only have heavy 2 piece stuff, their only onesy is a stretchy tight PVC bar-wear.)

Thanks for the ideas Jiggity-Joe! You've named yourself well :wink: I do like cut and pasting, this is sort of what I'll probably do, tho running out of time. I think seam-seal is what I will need, if I can't find it built in. I do have whacks of 3M VHB, my standby, just a little more subtle than duct tape.

Another mod I may make later is to stick reticulated foam inside the back to give space for air. I tried this before but it was really scratchy. Maybe I can put cotton T-shirt material over it, but then have to be careful not to get it soaked. Also could could use a little fan for air circulation ... and make a sort of inflatable suit ... reverse the fan to deflate the suit into a box on the back of the bike ... Oops, switch inventor mode off until at least 2016.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Adult-Green-2nd-Skin-Disappearing-Full-Body-Suit-Stretch-Jumpsuit-Zentai-Costume-/401017866161?hash=item5d5e8707b1:g:GOcAAOSw5VFWGx7Y

thers a nice full body waterproof green skin....lol... i typed in full body waterproof suit on ebay and there were several options for around 50 bucks or less....its one piece and can easily be taken off.....

Summer rain gear is easy to source locally. It is for the winter that we have limited choice. Snowmobile suits are bulky, and when you dress for the cold under an XXL overall rain suit it gets just as bulky. A one piece riding suit that is neat, warm and waterproof is not easy to find. I recall my pro trial suit was not very warm, but the same design with better insulation might do.

MadRhino said:
Summer rain gear is easy to source locally. It is for the winter that we have limited choice. Snowmobile suits are bulky, and when you dress for the cold under an XXL overall rain suit it gets just as bulky. A one piece riding suit that is neat, warm and waterproof is not easy to find. I recall my pro trial suit was not very warm, but the same design with better insulation might do.

I pedaled year round in Montreal for 9 years. I loved the cold, but it was crazy. The dance of the 7 veils; layer upon layer, opening & closing. I spent at least an hour a day donning & doffing layers, spreading things out in hallways to dry and sweeping up the gravel and salt. Salt was the worst thing because it kept everything damp. Without salt the water freezes then sublimates.

Here in Vanc we only have to deal with clean rain, much easier and less bulky.

MadRhino said:

I pedaled year round in Montreal for 9 years. I loved the cold, but it was crazy. The dance of the 7 veils; layer upon layer, opening & closing. I spent at least an hour a day donning & doffing layers, spreading things out in hallways to dry and sweeping up the gravel and salt. Salt was the worst thing because it kept everything damp. Without salt the water freezes then sublimates.

Here in Vanc we only have to deal with clean rain, much easier and less bulky.

The ultimate rainsuit onesy could have a cheerful and highly visible aesthetic;
Cyclin Santa.JPG

I'm liking the Santa suit..... yeah....it seems like that if we stick to rain suit those cheap wally world. ....basically plastic pancho.... then it is the riders responsibility to dress to the weather conditions....it qualifies for original poster needs...cheap...can put on bike. ..it is easily hidden in water bottle or basket. ..if stolen its no big deal.....still an issue of getting wet when suit is taken off...or maybe this guy is an exhibitionist and just needs his plastic suit to avoid police,neighborhood. Suspicion. ..so he can go and see his quote. ..unquote. clients.....let us know your true intentions.......

Two things -- first, I recall seeing a Youtube video demoing a spray-on hydrophobic treatment which can waterproof anything. I believe I saw the same treatment at Walmart. So this may increase your choice of fabrics (assuming this stuff actually works and lasts).

Secondly, if I were designing this myself, I would start with a regular pull-over poncho design. Then add in a long split tail in the back, that goes down to your feet. This split tail would then have Velcro or snaps so that each section can wrap around your legs (similar to snap-off warm up pants), along with an extended flap with elastic at the foot to cover the tops of your shoes. So removing this would be just a matter of quickly unsnapping the legs in one motion, then pulling it off overhead. Although putting it on may take a bit longer (maybe 15 seconds or so).

Finally, I'd integrate some sort of umbrella holder in the bicycle frame, so when getting off the bike in the rain, you have a small shelter to stand under while removing the rain suit.

dpe743 said:
Two things -- first, I recall seeing a Youtube video demoing a spray-on hydrophobic treatment which can waterproof anything. I believe I saw the same treatment at Walmart. So this may increase your choice of fabrics (assuming this stuff actually works and lasts).

Secondly, if I were designing this myself, I would start with a regular pull-over poncho design. Then add in a long split tail in the back, that goes down to your feet. This split tail would then have Velcro or snaps so that each section can wrap around your legs (similar to snap-off warm up pants), along with an extended flap with elastic at the foot to cover the tops of your shoes. So removing this would be just a matter of quickly unsnapping the legs in one motion, then pulling it off overhead. Although putting it on may take a bit longer (maybe 15 seconds or so).

Finally, I'd integrate some sort of umbrella holder in the bicycle frame, so when getting off the bike in the rain, you have a small shelter to stand under while removing the rain suit.

I will try ScotchGuard on a pair of disposable coveralls next time we get a good rain.

I've always wanted to try an umbrella holder on a bike. But while riding, just for the fun of it. I wouldn't want to count on it for dressing under because there could be wind. I really just want something quick.

Ponchos work well - rain flows down everywhere and drips off the outer edges with no path to the inside. But if your long split tail attaches to the back of the poncho? I think this would allow rain to flow down around your bum and into your crotch. Unless you keep the poncho long enough to hang over the back of the seat, and attach your leggings higher up with a "T" joint.

I seen a Rustoleum product on t.v. everything beaded up and rolled off. I have Helly Hansen stuff and I live in So Cal.
Uh oh I'm going upstairs and digging this stuff out where are going to have an El Nino that's rain like Vancouver I guess ?

1JohnFoster said:
I've always wanted to try an umbrella holder on a bike. But while riding, just for the fun of it. I wouldn't want to count on it for dressing under because there could be wind. I really just want something quick.

Mildly off topic but funny... Years ago I was in a car club with alot of Camaros and Firebirds. Most had T-tops. One day as we're cruising one of them forgets to latch the top. On the highway, there is a low pressure over the roof of a car... so the roof panel lifts, catches wind, and shoots a good 20+ feet in the air. It comes out while driving and shatters into millions of tiny pieces.
sucky. but it happens.
We all get to our destination and have a great time until the weather turns on us. This was in Texas, and its common to just have a storm come out of nowhere, and then disappear just as fast. Just after I leave, I end up behind the car with the broken T-top... he has placed a large umbrella over the hole in the roof, and his girlfriend is leaning over to hold it over his head.
With the rain and such, everyone is going slow until.... we break out of the storm. its like someone turned the storm switch off and the sun switch on. it goes from horrible night-during-the-day to beautyful-sunny-day.
Apparently T-top guy doesnt think about this, he punches the gas like the rest of traffic... The umbrella catches air, and flies up and out... I get to see his girlfriend pulled out of her seat and half out the car before she lets go. again, something leaves his roof and goes 20+ feet in the air. :lol:

Back