Demographics?

recumpence

1 GW
On Earth right now. That can change at any time, t
So, I am wondering who the "Average" EVer is. So, to that end, I am curious about some basic stats.......

As for me, I am 37 years old, married 16 years with 3 kids. I do appliance repair for a living.

What about you guys?

Matt

26, single, no kids, I sell RC car electronics and Ebike conversions for a living. Going to school to get my MBA too.

Old retired Oral Surgeon and College Chairperson. Still teach Pharmacology online to recover from 401k destruction and complain about e-bike gears and batteries whenever possible. I'm 63. I actually started college in aero/mechanical engineering, but they said doctors didnt need as much math (hint).
otherDoc

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3086&p=44200

17. No kids (LOL). I work at a library. It's not the greatest, but it feeds the addictions. Going to college in a few months. I bowl on Thursdays. Otherwise I play videogames a lot. Anyone want to Brawl? :D

52, divorced, no kids, cabinet & furniture maker, play around with digital art programs (Bryce 5, Poser 5, Lightwave), like making A.I. characters and animations when it's too cold to be out side :cry:

Blessings, Snow Crow

56 well mostly, raised my now grown girls on my own love my six grandkids. Took a couple years of computer science back in the late 70s when I was married and we had the wonderful trash80s with tape drives here and there. Somehow wound up with twelve years as a heavy bus mechanic. Now a fare machine tech for antiquated ticket vending machines in the local transit district. E-bikes, Cars, and airguns are for modding at the moment although cars are a bit much with the beat up body to contend with. But with all the voices saying different things it's hard to get anything done. ;^) Did I say I live in Portland the one out west that is. I see others do also. Me, I think the city is beautiful the people friendly and the Governor, Mayor, city council ect don't have a clue as to what reality is. But we is green and ride bikes.

I'm a 23 year old college student and IT intern. Not married quite yet, but soon. I also breed crested geckos, sell feeder roaches(tropical) to people with reptiles, and build cages to house my collection.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_4047.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y2/nomad85/IMG_1670.jpg

21, no kids, in college aiming for computer engineering, ev addict, like to fiddle around with programming, electronics, physics and math. Lives with parents who currently make too much annual income, plans to narrowly escape Spokane's dreaded winter as I move to Washington's west coast(either Seattle or Bellingham, that contingent on a soon-to-be-received admission confirmation letter to UW.) come this December, currently unemployed by choice(I need to study!).

I'm 52,was born with Spina Bifida (malformation of the spinal cord) and
other health issues,I wasn't supposed to live past the age of 2.

I'm a printer,I was the production supervisor in the offset department of a
fairly large print shop.Did this for many years and was let go due to health
issues that crept up directly related to the Spina Bifida.I can no longer stand
for long periods of time and walking is getting more difficult.I'm now on early
retirement and make ends meet by restoring old photographs,I also design
letterheads and business cards for new small businesses.

I've been common law with a wonderful lady for 12 years and we've got 2
young adult kids who are now out on their own.We've also got 3 Grandchildren.

I enjoy vegetable gardening mucking with my ebike and doing repairs on our
house that constantly needs attention (it was built in 1945).

Eric

im 37, married for 18 months to a beautiful wife,31 :)
interests in ebikes, pc gaming, football (not EVER going to call it soccer)
im a computer engineer, work in a datacentre (exciting huh?). i'll brawl yah Link ;)

28, BSEE from Virginia Tech 2004, Electrical Engineer for Leviton Lighting. I do lighting control systems. Used to do industrial automation. Worked at GE Energy on Wind Power through college. My background is mostly in controls and alternative energy.

Second "job" is working with Synkromotive on their EV systems (controllers, chargers, I/O, logging, etc). Mostly just soldering, testing and data aquisition for them. They're helping me with a custom system for my motorcycle. Controller with a charging system that communicates to the controller, and an LCD.

I live in Portland, OR and Love it here. No pets (gecko died last month :( ), kick*ss girlfriend. Love RC cars/motorcycles (Kyosho NSR500 HOR, Royal VFR750R, HPI RS4-2), love experementing with electronics and hanging out with some of the dorkbot guys in PDX. Free time is spent exploring great places around the area to get micro-brews.

38 with GF..kids to come soon.
I'M a audio video engineer, i work for one of the biggest audio/video/broadcast rental company in the world.
interest in bicycling in general, snowboarding, snowscooting, outdoors.

49, 2 kids of mine and 1 of my Girlfriends. 6 grandkids have snuck into the picture somehow.
As long as my employer doesn't implode, I'm an operations analyst for a major bank.

Yeah, I'm the nerdy guy that rides his bike to work when it's 10f outside just to save the planet or some crap like that. 12 mile round trip, with 1000' of elevation gain on the round trip. [hills on both ends and in the middle]

I used to ride my pedal bike to commute on, but got tired of changing clothes 5 times a day. On the e-bike I can ride in wearing my dockers :). I have a gas bike too that I'm currently riding due to my recent goldenmotor shafting. I like the electric better because i'ts quieter, and I don't sit in my cubicle reeking of 2stroke exhaust.

tartosuc said:
I'M a audio video engineer,

Cool. I'm 33. Never married, no kids. I've been an A/V tech since high school. I have always been into bicycles, motors, and electricity, so I can't get enough electric motor-bicycles.

Omnivorous male 59. No kids, tattoos, piercing, criminal record or STDs. My ex-wife and I get along great now.
Past jobs have been bicycle mechanic, railway trainman-engineman, aluminium boat builder, residential carpentry and cabinetry.
I now manage/caretake an apartment building.

Bicycling has long been my primary obsession. Other's have included, fly tying, free-flight rubber, architecture*, PCs and Usenet.

My interest in electronics and team sports waned at puberty. My interest in ICE vehicles waned after the first four died leaving me stranded.

Zoot Katz is the cat's name. Friends usually call me Dale.

*edit: I forgot about my obsession with classical proportions, Pattern Languages and the social necessity of creating live spaces in our built environment. We all know what's right with architecture when it happens, it's just too few architects know how to let it happen. The real politics of urban planning and development sorta got me interested in bomb making for a while.

OK. I'll share.

48 yrs old, closing in on 49. Avatar picture is recent, but the goggles are just that - OLD safety goggles. Still don't wear real glasses, but am realizing that I have occasion to need them. Was married for 8 1/2 years (divorced in 1994), and have been with someone who also divorced around the same time - 14 years beats the record for either of our previous relationships.

My "GF" has Multiple Sclerosis, and it was this that brought me to e-biking. By motorizing her ride, I was able to do what I enjoyed and not have to leave her behind... The problem, though, was that she was leaving ME behind... So I got hooked, too.

I've worked in "Information Technology" for my entire working life (almost 30 years) which has included business computing and industrial automation - but have a plethora of other interests. Notwithstanding the IT connection (I ran a multi-line BBS, the software for which I wrote, for more than a decade before the internet came along), I've had a life-long interest in photography. I still maintain a full darkroom, as silly as that is in this digital age, and more cameras than you can shake a stick at. (Well, you *can* shake a stick at them, but nothing happens. I've tried). I also have a long, but compartively casual, history with electronics - the fascination started with HAM and CB radios when I was a kid, but turned digital the instant I bought my first TRS-80 Model I computer from Radio Shack back in 1978.

My biggest passion in the last 5 years has been luthiery - making stringed instruments (guitars, in particular). But I find that my sleepless nights have me staring at the ceiling, thinking up new things to build that are relevant to e-bikes. I built a thing that is very similar to a Cycle-Analyst, using TWO PIC16F690s. The one "in the back" monitors the controller, and sends data (serially) to the "one in the front", which is simply a display unit/user interface. It was THIS project that brought me to this forum, and introduced me to Justin Lemire-Elmore (who I was lucky enough to have stay with me on his trip across Canada).

There's other shit, too, but my daily focus is food and drink :)

Obviously, we have no kids - but we have a great cat. She's a Calico who we call "Doots". Makes me think she should meet Dale's cat. What a combo.

Oh yeah. That's another pastime. Singing stupid songs about my cat...

"Doot Doot Doot, lookin' out my back door" (CCR)

"You are so Dooti-ful - to me" (Joe Cocker)

"Feeling Dooty" (Simon and Garfunkel)

"I'm just doin' my rock-n-roll Dooti... Creating some fuzz fuzz fuzz" (Kim Mitchell)

and many more...

You all get the picture.

And, although my entire family are British-born, I am the first in the very long chain to be born elsewhere. I was born in Vancouver, BC and am proud to be Canadian. And I can say that - even my GF was born just outside of Manchester (UK), and feels the same about Canada!

And (again), lastly (CRAP!), I've just re-read what I have just written and have tried to see it from the perspective of a reader who doesn't know me... Am I in any way "proud" or otherwise full of myself? NO WAY. You have to meet me to "get" me. I'm just happy as a pig in shit to share my enthusiasm for what I enjoy. No posturing. No politics. That's how I try to live...

52 yrs old, divorced (couple times) worked in machine shops most of my life, geophysics other part.

Got into ebikes 1998 after a head-on collision. Other driver was shooting-up while driving :? I kid you not, then the dolt kept driving through the curve without turning, he died :) .
Do volunteer work on the side.

philf said:
Oh yeah. That's another pastime. Singing stupid songs about my cat...

Oh boy... I can relate to that. I have a cat named Fin (short for Finley)... depending on his mood it's:

Osama FIN Laden
FINdiana Jones
Mahmoud AhmaFINejad
King FIN
FINeous Maximus

Etc. Etc. It's a fun passtime I'll give you that. :wink:

recumbent said:
..., he died :) .
Do volunteer work on the side.

Vengeance and community service always puts a smile on my face. I particularly like instant Karma. I feel compassion right up until someone's problems put other people in danger. I guess that's all you need to know 'bout me 'cept:

41 revolutions around the Sun
Freelance video camera operator/visual artiste magnifique
Asphalt paving crewmember
Handyman
Single past, present, and I think I can predict the future on that one
No children blamed on me
E-scooter project half-completed in 2002 until tremendous weight problems became evident
Current e-bike project looks good on paper and the parts are much more impressive this year than in 2002

HAL9000v2.0 said:
39, married, 2 kids, I make industrial robots for a living.
In Zagreb?!? I've spent a fair amount of time in Zagreb...sometimes I really miss that city...I didn't realize there was much of a market for this line of work. How's the cycling/bike scene in that city?

My stats: 30, single (never married & no kids), argentine tango dancer, sustainable lifestyle & transportation enthusiast, cyclist/randonneur, SysAdmin (12 years), and an amateur mechanical & electrical engineer/tinkerer.

erth64net said:
HAL9000v2.0 said:
39, married, 2 kids, I make industrial robots for a living.
In Zagreb?!? I've spent a fair amount of time in Zagreb...sometimes I really miss that city...I didn't realize there was much of a market for this line of work. How's the cycling/bike scene in that city?

My stats: 30, single (never married & no kids), argentine tango dancer, sustainable lifestyle & transportation enthusiast, cyclist/randonneur, SysAdmin (12 years), and an amateur mechanical & electrical engineer/tinkerer.

Market is huge, but I also do stuff in Hungary and Slovenia, let say that I must reject 2 of 3 jobs. And e-cycling is rising fast, linear with traffic jams in the city and with price of fuel....

Back