Secure triangle battery pack

Wirenut

1 µW
I will be parking my bike at a park and ride, and want to keep my battery pack from getting stolen. What is a good way to secure it? I have a 15 minute walk once off the bus so I don't want to take it with me.

A determined thief can steal anything. There is a Dawes bike frame for sale on my local Craig's List right now. Nice frame. The owner chained the complete bike outside overnight. By morning, the wheels, brakes, shifters, forks were stolen; the frame was bare except for the chain.

Take the battery with you. It's really the only safe way, unless they have locked rooms for your bike, and even then .....

Of course, you can build a metal enclosure with key lock for your battery. That will slow them down some. You can put a GPS tracking device in the battery, so you can locate it when it is stolen. You can use an infrared camera to record the theft too. But if it seems to be something of value, it might get stolen too. The vermin will steal anything of value.

Added 11/17: Here is what I mean. I found this on Craigslist.
My 90's dark blue Bianchi Eros 52 cm road bike was stolen out of a bike locker at Lake Merritt BART station, with black Axiom streamliner back rack, black Minnehaha pannier, lights, helmet, lock, EVERYTHING bike-related I own attached to it. ....
zz bike locker broken into at BART station.gif

Ditto on that--any secure container will slow them down by a minute or so, maybe more maybe less depending on how experienced they are and how good their tools are, and whether there are people around that actually care whether theives are stealing stuff off the bikes there. (some places they do, some they just stand and watch, or just ignore them).

If the parking place is very secure, and physically patrolled, and bike theft or vandalism doesn't occur there, then I suppose you could trust a security box/etc on teh frame to keep honest people out.

If theft or vandalism is common there, I wouldn't leave the bike there at all, even if it wasn't an ebike.

Most people don't know what the 8th commandment says, much less have any intention of obeying it. :evil:
Take it with you in a sturdy padded backpack. Around here, I would hesitate even leaving a car at a park and ride.

And how far from the house to catch the bus? If less than 4 miles, maybe you need a $50 walbike, stock. They are going to take that thing if you lock it at a bus stop all day.

Wirenut said:
...What is a good way to secure it?...

Take it with you. At least that's what I do with any of my expensive battery packs should I need to park on street. Bolt the battery to the frame all you want but they just toss a bike into a pickup truck or van and drive off.

I’ve gotta trash eBike which isn’t the greatest components or cost me much. If it gets nicked, no big deal.

Battery’s where most of my money goes so I just prioritize and protect that. Which can be easier said than done in “sensitive” locations having a backpack searched with wires and pouches inside…

One of my coworkers has had 2 RC Lipo powered eBikes stolen from train stations. We joke about the assholes hopefully attempting to charge 'em and receiving their just reward.

Back