Help with my first build voltage drops when I turn LCD on.

Dereka77

1 µW
I'm building my first e-bike. I bought the 1000w Yescom kit with the LCD screen and a V-Power 48v 10ah battery. Plan on only having the V-power a couple months then will upgrade it. I measured the battery output and it 49.6v. As soon as I hit the power button on the LCD the screen flashes on for a second and then the voltage drops to 13v and then will slowly climb back up. I have measured the battery not hooked up to the bike and it holds steady at 49.6. I have not clue what to do, help.

49.6v's pretty much fully discharged for a 48V LiFePO4 battery, based on my experiences with Vpower packs. Closer to 58V should be fully charged.

So most likely it's just a battery problem, and most likely it's just not charged up. Is it new or old? What circumstances has it seen?

You might try leaving the battery on the charger for at least a few days (could take much longer), so it can charge and balance--if it's unbalanced it won't fully charge, and you won't get full capacity out of it.

There are explanations of balancing and other troubleshooting in at least two recent threads about similar first builds and problems, if you read around.

Can't be a short--a short would result in 0V and possibly smoke. ;)

Really, just put it on the charger and leave it for at least a few days.

The voltage your seeing is like a ghost. A little bit of leakage from the battery that is actually switched off in protect mode. You get to see battery voltage but it won't support any load without fading away. Because it is just leakage through the solid state switching circuitry.

Its common as turkey at Christmas. I fully expect to see this in pieces needing a minor repair

Yep, if it's a 16s pack, then fully balance charged is ~58V. Put it on the charger over night. At 50V, it's very low.

Thanks for the advice. It's a brand new battery. I have it charging and will it go for a couple of days and try it again.

Back