Anyone get chased by law enforcement on an ebike?

QuestionMan

100 W
Has anyone ever ran from police or any kind of law enforcement, which includes police or forest rangers or basically anyone who could arrest you.

I am not looking for a discussion if running from them is right or wrong, we are all adults here and know the answer to that already, just asking if anyone has done it before?

I have done it twice (full high speed on city streets) but will wait to give the story only if there is interest in the topic.

I know this can be a heated topic and people can kill the topic really fast with their morals so I'll wait to see how it goes.

There are places you can go where they'd never follow. But are you really asking if anyone has a bike that's up to it? I don't think there's many such here. And of course nobody at the endless-moralmajority-sphere.com would ever do such a thing.

You probably have to tell your story to get the ball rolling.

4-Women-Boulder-Climber.jpg

Police are the only people permitted to do a traffic stop in NSW, Australia. And as far as I can tell, they've all been pretty reasonable about it.

If you're running from police on an electric bike in NSW, it probably means you committed a serious crime, and the bike was just incidentally your get away vehicle.

OK so here is my first chase story. This is the lesser of the two chases and my first. Statute of limitations has already passed with these chases so they are safe to mention them.

I was driving down a three lane city street, pretty heavy with traffic and came upon a red light. I saw a police car in the left hand turning lane to go left stopped waiting for the light. The police car was boxed in with cars on his right two lanes.

I was pushing my luck here as I never had trouble before with police, and I knew it at the time but I was kind of curious to see if they would ever chase me.. I figured they would never go after me so I made a right turn at the red light and also drove over a concrete divider LOL, kind of in their line of sight I guess but they had cars in between me and them. I didn't think they would ever bother to go after me because of the fact they were boxed in and it was a very busy intersection.

I decided to look back about 10-15 seconds after I made the right to see if they were following, just incase. I couldn't believe when I looked back I saw the police car making the right with their lights on, but no sirens. I was like O-shit they are probably after me.

I wasn't that nervous because I knew there was a park up ahead and I would cut into it. I still had maybe 20-30 seconds of driving to get into the park, so it wasn't exactly close but not far either.

I accelerated to 40-45MPH/65-72KPH and went in the oncoming traffic lane to quickly get around the cars stopped at the red light, no cars were coming at me because they were also stopped at the red light. I then blew through the red light and got on the sidewalk on the right at full speed. I drove on the sidewalk for a while.

From the sidewalk I entered the park and drove up a bit into the park and got off the bike. I was thinking, maybe these cops had a call and were not going after me, I stood there looking into the street to see if they would drive right by. I couldn't believe that just a few seconds the police car with the lights on, and still no sirens slowly made a right into the park. At that point I got on my bike and got onto the trail and there is no way they could follow me because it had a wood divider to not allow cars.

But yes that was my first chase. I didn't take any chances when I saw them coming after me so I accelerated to full speed, blew through a red light, and got into the park.

I knew I made a really illegal right hand turn on red, and drove over a concrete divider, so I knew i was in for lots of crap, not including an illegal ebike. I didn't want to wait around for the trouble.

I don't even know if they ever even knew I saw them coming after me or that I was running from them, I would say they probably didn't know but who knows. So in a way did I even run from the cops :mrgreen: ? They just put their lights on to I guess get close to me but didn't put on the sirens and didn't get close enough to me to pull me over.

But this one was the lesser of my two chases. The other chase was much scarier and much more nerve wracking. The second chase I felt like I was running for my life and would do anything to get away. The officer chasing me I believe really wanted me :D . The sirens and lights blasted just behind me and it is not a very good feeling to be on an ebike in that situation because you do not have the speed to get away. What I also learned from this chase is that many things go wrong in these chases and even things you planned on don't work out.

Yeah, well, I think we're going to hear the salacious details of the other to REALLY get people motivated. Parks draw calls at night, they STILL didn't have to be looking for you. An actual pursuit wasn't established. Around me the cops would probably ignore the bikes if they were running people over.

Nice, but you'll probably want to tone it down around your town or could be byebye ebike and maybe some cash and/or some freedom. Not that I think victimless crimes are just, but not many can fight the cops or city hall.

Better to be on the defensive with the 'peace officers' so as to avoid a potential confrontation or escalating situation.
Pedal, keep under 30, and don't go looking for trouble, cuz you kno you'll find it.

I've had my run-in's police and 'other' but they've been with actual registered vehicles. Scared me strait I guess.
Next time some video would be great- I can't get enough of those motorcycle/cop chases :)

All fun and games until you hit someone or have an accident.

I doubt there would be any sympathy. There's a time and place for hooning on any vehicle, an uncontrolled busy city is not one of them, regardless of the vehicle.

Well, I couldn't advise teasing the cops in Chicago, St Louis, Albuquerque, to name a few cities where the cops shoot first, and wipe the lapel cam vid later.

Don't get me wrong, back when it was sure cops would not shoot you, I ran from cops on dirt motorcycles. Every body did it when caught on the street with a dirt bike. They'd never catch you taking routes a car can't go through. Eventually though, they'd just go to your house and wait in the driveway once they figured out who it was all the time. It was a small enough town back then, with only a few dozen dirt bike riders. Much like now with e bikes, you can't hide in the masses of e bike riders if the town only has a few.

But now days, cops in America got their primary law enforcement training in Iraq. They get exited, they start emptying the weapon.

QuestionMan said:
Has anyone ever ran from police or any kind of law enforcement
I don't know, I have no rear view mirrors :twisted:

Seriously, running away is the most stupid thing to do in almost any situation of life. Exceptions are in the order of: A building is collapsing over your head, or a Tsunami is comin, etc... :wink:

Bikes can go a lot of places cars cannot...know your town ;)
https://vimeo.com/4350530

Dauntless said:
But are you really asking if anyone has a bike that's up to it? I don't think there's many such here.

Maybe in recent years that is true..but I'd say all the 'old timers ' here all have bikes that can easily do 30 mph plus. if not 40 or more. I'd say it is a newish phenomena, people building these low powered 15-20 mph e-bikes

Yes, i've just been stopped..well a few months ago. doing 35mph up a local hill on the way to work at the airport. I was on an emergency life critical call out ( I fly air ambulance) so I politely but basically told the copper to F..off as i had a ground ambulance soon on it way yo the airport and I had to prep the aircraft for this medieval flight. He knew whoo I was and promised to be in contact in future..but so far nothing ..but the bike is now disabled..50 volt pack instead of 100 volt..limited to 8 amps instead of 90 battery and throttle removed so only PAS.

SO now it is a gutless 15mph road legal 250 watt piece of shit that is not worth riding...so i am now back o to the car every day..given up on e-bikes..now the law is looking closely at them and stopping faster ones ..they are not worth riding . If it can only do 15 mph and 250 watt..it is not enough to give any reasonable speed, so now may as well just use a normal lightweight road bike and pedal faster on a lighter bike.

with the quickness and speed of my ebike I could easily escape police vehicles everywhere but on the highway without leaving the street. I'm too well known in the area to even consider it, not to mention old enough to know better, and too old for the type of riding that may be required. For a while I was into hard accelerations coming out of turns, just enough to lift the front wheel a bit, and a transit cop on a motorcycle saw me doing it once and cased me down. I pulled over and expected some hassles, but he just wanted to get an up close look at my bike and ask questions.

This is How eBikes got outlawed in New York city remember what happened in New York City almost all fast food delivery guys riding ebikes on the sidewalk got all ebikes outlawed in New York City. So you want to fxxck it up for every body ?
Beachcomer rode under the pier at 40mph. I told him to keep off the beach and go back inland. So we don't have a new law about riding ebikes on the beach. One new law for every body, because of one boy. No man. Boy. Grow up.

This is like the TV episode on "The Worlds Stupidest People" where you get some idiots filming their 240mph joy ride, and get pinched b/c of it.
Then there is the classic Facebook postings. I've heard of people killing other people and posting the pictures on FB. Thefts. B&E. B&E+Damage. Rapes. Heck one filmed herself driving drunk.

I am watching "The First 48" now, I've always liked that show and its amazing how many "perps" rat each other out, and self incriminate, or the classic point the finger at the other guy, or point the other way, lessen your part in it. I think they dont know that if you are there at the scene you still get life. This show is shot in Florida, Southern States etc. One show, this woman opened her mouth and got life. All she had to do was not talk. Pinched on the second interview, months later.

north-korea_1.jpg

NeilP said:
Dauntless said:
But are you really asking if anyone has a bike that's up to it? I don't think there's many such here.

Maybe in recent years that is true..but I'd say all the 'old timers ' here all have bikes that can easily do 30 mph plus. if not 40 or more. I'd say it is a newish phenomena, people building these low powered 15-20 mph e-bikes.

I don't perceive 30-40mph as much of an escape and evasion vehicle. If the cops want you, it'll take the Death Bike to get away.

So would they be too intimidated, or would they follow these women anywhere?

8-Women-Boulder-Climber.jpg

A lot of posts here seem to be assuming that just because you get chased down by the police you were riding in a mad or dzngerous fashion 'hooning' around, pulling wheelies etc.

That does not have to be the case

I was riding 30 ish in a 40 zone, just keeping up with traffic, when I heard the siren behind me. You don't have to be riding lije a reckless dangerous idiot to be chased down.

never on my ebike but my car used to have a kill switch to kill all the lights except the headlights :)

Most major cities now have police helicopters, mine has 2 (city of a million) and its real annoying to hear it even though it has silent mode.
No one gets away from the helicopter.

For something so minor, risking a major criminal charge is not worth it. Yeah sure you could claim many defense arguments, after a stint at behind bars for a period of time, maybe losing your job, being evicted, losing mortgage payments, getting utilities cut off is it really worth it?

Just roll around with a mini incinerator bobbing your head to the beats, when push comes to shove hit a button and its all dust!

That's kind of what we learned pretty quick back in the 70's.

Once they knew us, running did no good. And the 30 buck ( lot of money then) ticket just went to 100 when you made them wait for you at your house.

Running just escalates what you get. Stopping and cooperating can get you much less. I once got stopped for doing 90 in a 25 mph zone. I was drunker than shit, drunk enough to drop the bike once I stopped. But I took my huge speeding ticket and the cop let me go. Hell, if he'd have gotten as far as taking my helmet off and look at my eyes, he'd have smelled a hell of a booze stink. I guess he never thought a drunk guy could ride like I was riding.

Instead of running, I stopped right away. Began to say, oh boy, I really shouldn't have done that officer, I'll cool it officer, etc. It's amazing what being polite to a policeman can do. Just recently my wife got a warning, for doing 80 in a 65. We stopped and she went into the being polite routine.

It does of course help, when your ID comes up no warrants from the last time you ran, and never paid all those tickets or showed up for your community service.

markz said:
...This show is shot in Florida, Southern States etc...

What exactly were you getting at with that part of your comment? Let's see if markz can man-up and be honest, so this thread can take on some hilarity to start the week right.

To 999zip999

This is How eBikes got outlawed in New York city remember what happened in New York City almost all fast food delivery guys riding ebikes on the sidewalk got all ebikes outlawed in New York City.

I don't know if you are aware but if it is illegal in New York City to ride an ebike then all the delivery guys that I see around me with their ebikes and some who ride on the sidewalks are totally being ignored by law enforcement.

Back