One for the battery-builder guys

tommie

10 W
Been curious to know what cells are in my battery that came with the BBS02 kit.

I`m none the wiser as i didn`t want to start pulling it apart any more..

Can only read a part of the text on one of the cells -

RZY5D

as you can see they`re a lightish red color - any ideas (its supposed to be 13ah/48v)

IMG_20160107_125552.jpg

Thanks Wes,

so they`re Sanyo 2600MaH items,

maybe not the worst, but not up to the standard of the Samsungs or Panasonics you reckon?

Hard to tell without a scale, but they look more like 26650s to me.

The way you can tell is that 18650s are 18mm in diameter (and 65mm long), and 26650s are 26mm in diameter.

@ sunder,
yes should have measured the top when the case was apart, but i think they're 18650`s as there`s 52 of them in there and its only a water-bottle shark type battery.

Don`t think you`d get that many 26650s in there??

Just wondered if they were any good or no good!!

(bike frame size)

Frame.jpg

tommie said:
Don`t think you`d get that many 26650s in there??

Yeah, now that I can see how big the whole thing is, it's probably not 26650s.

Nice looking assembly for sure. Not like the cheapo pack spot welding.

tommie said:
Been curious to know what cells are in my battery that came with the BBS02 kit.

I`m none the wiser as i didn`t want to start pulling it apart any more..

Can only read a part of the text on one of the cells -

RZY5D

as you can see they`re a lightish red color - any ideas (its supposed to be 13ah/48v)

Tommie
Just wondering where you purchased that kit, specifically the battery? I have one as well and have been searching high and low for a battery mount exactly like that one so I can easily move the battery between two of my bikes. Maybe the vedor of that kit would be able to help me.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/48V10-4Ah-480Wh-turbobike-DE-ONDERDELEN-VAN-EEN-OMBOUWSET/705369_2049629440.html

BTN China,

btw what`s the output of your battery, it was sold to me as a 13aH but i have my doubts.

tommie said:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/48V10-4Ah-480Wh-turbobike-DE-ONDERDELEN-VAN-EEN-OMBOUWSET/705369_2049629440.html

BTN China,

btw what`s the output of your battery, it was sold to me as a 13aH but i have my doubts.
Thanks for the reply with the link.

My battery in the same enclosure is a 13s4p config of Samsung 2.9Ah cells giving a total capacity of 11.6Ah. I tested it doing a controlled discharge at 15amps with a wattmeter inline and it did indeed dleiver around that number. However, they can put whatever flavor they choose of 18650 cells in that enclosure. My guess is that yours are Sanyo 2.6Ah cells as shown at http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo UR18650ZY 2600mAh (Red) UK.html.

The AliExpress link you pointed to says it is a 13s5p config and delivers 10.6Ah. Something is probably wrong here as:
  • I doubt you could fit 65 cells in there, although if you have it open you could count them.
  • If you could it would indeed be (5 x 2.6) = 13Ah
  • Most likely it is 13s4p config providing 10.6Ah

dilkes said:
tommie said:

BTN China,

Thanks for the reply with the link.

My battery in the same enclosure is a 13s4p config of Samsung 2.9Ah cells giving a total capacity of 11.6Ah. I tested it doing a controlled discharge at 15amps with a wattmeter inline and it did indeed dleiver around that number. However, they can put whatever flavor they choose of 18650 cells in that enclosure. My guess is that yours are Sanyo 2.6Ah cells as shown at http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/Sanyo UR18650ZY 2600mAh (Red) UK.html.

The AliExpress link you pointed to says it is a 13s5p config and delivers 10.6Ah. Something is probably wrong here as:
  • I doubt you could fit 65 cells in there, although if you have it open you could count them.
  • If you could it would indeed be (5 x 2.6) = 13Ah
  • Most likely it is 13s4p config providing 10.6Ah

yes dilkes think you`re spot on there, i opened mine up and there`s 52 cells in there, no way could you get 65, typical sales pitch.
It`s pretty hilly where i am and i feel the BBS02 750W needs a lot more punch than 11aH, what do you reckon?

tommie said:
yes dilkes think you`re spot on there, i opened mine up and there`s 52 cells in there, no way could you get 65, typical sales pitch.
It`s pretty hilly where i am and i feel the BBS02 750W needs a lot more punch than 11aH, what do you reckon?
I am not an expert on this, but just to be clear:
  • The rated Ah represents the capacity of the pack/cells to deliver power between full charge and full discharge state
  • The Amps that the pack can deliver to the controller/motor is what is important when determining performance of the motor
  • The BMS is usually set to limit the current delivered to prevent damage to the cells
That AliExpress listing you pointed to says:
Continuous Discharge Current 10 A
10 min Discharge Current 15 A
5 sec Discharge Current 18 A

However, I would be somewhat sceptical of the quoted info they have there.

The 750W BBS02 running flat out runs at about 1000 watts and would want 20 amps at 50V.

Having said all this, my guess is your pack should be fine.

48V 13Ah pack has 13s4p indicating 3250mAh rated cells.
(If Sanyo 2600mAh cells then fictitiously rated.)
But ...
Most likely the new Panasonic-Sanyo NCR18650BF!
(Panasonic bought Sanyo)
3.7V 3250mAh nominal capacity.

Various spec sheets recommend .5C charge and 1C discharge with reasonable 2C discharge capability.

Life cycles is a modest 300 (to 80% capacity) @ minimal .5C Charge\Discharge rates
1C-2C, more typical rates, will greatly reduce usable life!

NCR18650BF.jpg

Back