Grin does it again!

Drunkskunk

100 GW
My only question is why didn't this thing exist 10 years ago? :mrgreen:

This will be on my next build. I wish I could justify buying one right now, but It's going to have to wait.

http://www.ebikes.ca/news/new-TDCM-igh/
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/motors/igh-305.html

TDCM_IGH_Example.jpg

woah, no effing way!!!!

super cool, I've been eyeing that SA 5-speed "heavy duty" hub since they redesigned it... looks like it found a great home ;)

way to go GRIN, and nice touch with the statorade pre-filled for cooling performance :D

definitely digging this for electrifying my new build in the summer... no over the border shipping for me. maybe even get it laced into my wheel while I'm there in July...

This is so cool. Can't wait to hear from real road experience. It must be incredibly efficient. I need one.

ebent said:
This is so cool. Can't wait to hear from real road experience. It must be incredibly efficient. I need one.
The 5-speed hub is for human input only. "Incredible efficiency" is more likely 'incrementally better' efficiency. I can see Justin becoming a dominant ebike parts supplier. I'd be comfortable selling and supporting his merchandise.

Very cool. The crazy voice in my head told me to combine this with a BBSHD, haha. I know better and that it would likely tear it apart, but I still wants to experience what the first internally geared mid and direct drive fat bike would feel like.

The IGH TDCM motor was introduced over a year ago in Oct. of 2014.
http://www.topsecretev.com/interbike-2014-parts-and-updates-from-top-secret-ev/
Really, an extra $450 to replace a 5 speed freewheel with internal shifting. :)

Oh, man. I'm really excited by this.

This, plus a single speed chain drive wrapped in a shroud, is basically perfect for a hardcore year round commuter. You can keep the chain off your pants, the road off your chain, and have a heavy, low maintenance chain that won't wear out quickly.

Typo of 500-1000. :p

I want to know where to buy a disc brake Sturmey Archer 5-speed hub. Is this a conversion kit to use the Rohloff 4 bolt disc or a new SA hub. I swear I haven't seen this on their website.

Nice. Coolest innovation would be the system that would allow DD-motor to freewheel without drag when not powered.

Eskimo said:
Nice. Coolest innovation would be the system that would allow DD-motor to freewheel without drag when not powered.
If you engage a dd system and pedal up to the no load speed and just a little more, there's no drag and no power consumption. In fact, you can actually recharge the battery if you can pedal fast enough and long enough. Of course the battery has to be connected for this to work.

Green Machine said:
So sweet...great to see such a cool innovation!
And you wrote about it in Dec. 2014!

Drunkskunk said:
My only question is why didn't this thing exist 10 years ago? :mrgreen:

Not entirely new.

BionX made a rear wheel hub motor with a 3 speed gear hub and a 36V/48V 30A conroller inside around 5 years ago, search for BionX IGH

At least some German manufacturers used this motor and it is available cheap in used conditions sometimes on ebay.

Very cool. But since I don't live in such a salty place, I don't get the aversion to derailleur shifting.

I do get it though, that in some places the parts do corrode, and IGH is a good idea there. And if you want to convert a bike that already has IGH, this would simplify it greatly, without going to a front hub.

Always good to have all the choices possible. 8)

Yeah that motor looks pretty amazing, so this could really blow some of the mid drive motor market out of the water, am I correct in thinking so?
*EDIT*, aah I see now, its more of a derailleur/cassette/cog killer not an ebike motor with 5 levels of planetry gearing in it for being able to handle different work loads..
Still cool though! This would make lacing wheels easier as well as you would eliminate dishing, also allows for a fatter motor design (if that makes it easier for the manufacture to build in better efficiency or something?) as well as less space is taken by the normally external cogs of the cassette/freewheel..

I am happy to see this, because when you show that it is easily possible to integrate an IGH, the stator can be as wide as 45mm...with my preference being 35mm in order to allow 40-MPH in order to he able to keep up with traffic (for those customers who need that), while still using the minimum necessary copper fill (for lower weight and cost)

edit: the Grin web-catalog is showing a 30mm wide stator.

The option of adding ferro-fluid makes this development even more relevant, power-wise. My most desired answer is in regards to the question of...how wide is the stator? Plus the stator diameter?

I know many ebikers will likely suggest that 5 gears is not enough, but I actually think that amount is plenty, especially since it has a much wider gearing spread than the common 3-speed IGH (243% vs 170%).

Nelson37 said:
This seems very close to a geared hub, with Shiftable gears.

What would be involved in running the motor power thru the IGH, and how feasible would such a design be? Sort of like a crank drive in a one-piece hub without using the chain? Possibly the best of both worlds, or too complex and not practical?

Well, technically it can't freewheel, the motor is still direct drive... not so much like a geared hub. it really is literally, a RWD DD hub with a rear IGH in place of a derailleur config.

running power through the IGH would be great but that would require a bit different design (a multi-geared hub, freewheeling not DD).

I was pretty excited when I browsed the link quickly... but now that I see the power does not go though the 5 speeds, and its only 1000w with statoraide in it... I dont see any benifit for me.

My derailleur doesnt have any issues, and thats the only 'problem' this seems to solve compared to any other tiny, sub-1000w DD hub.

An outstanding design for the kind of rider that doesn't hang out here and build. Which would likely be a majority of buyers. Sadly most eBike riders don't bother, they want to plug and play. Maybe visit here when and if something breaks. Also a great design for a cruiser or flat foot frame. I talk with people all the time that don't want a ride faster than normal bike speeds, or a 20mph/32kph max. I predict it becomes a big seller. And with Grin's support, watch it grow!

so this couldn't be used as a mid drive with the IGH as a a geared output?
still neat, but a geared output would be super neat.
Seems perfect for fat bikes, as they are the ones that need a derailleur-less chainline most.

Leebolectric said:
Seems perfect for fat bikes, as they are the ones that need a derailleur-less chainline most.
Good point!

Back