Single day distance record for e-bike??

StudEbiker

100 kW
SO spring is coming after a long wet winter, I've got a new bike I just love to ride, and I've also got a birthday coming up.

I'm thinking that sometime near my birthday, I would like to take the whole day to ride my bike. I am curious what the most miles any one has ridden by e-bike in a single day is? I think it would be fun to match or beat this number. I know Grindz did some long days on his big tour and I'm sure that Justin did some long days on his tour, and Dogman does some long days too, but I would like to hear what the longest days everyone has done.

Also, what is the best way to verify the mileage that can be posted for everyone to easily see. I've often wanted to do a big cross country e-bike tour, but that just doesn't seem like a possibility, but being able to take one day and see how many miles I can cover...... well, that's doable. It's also doable for many others I suppose so this could be a real bragging rights type thing here on E-S to hold the single day distance record by e-bike. 8)

Troy Rank was doing 200 mile days, if not more on his tour. He had a fast charger, so he could burn down his pack several times a day. Young and energetic, ahh, I miss that.

My personal best one day was my house to Wineboys, 80 miles. Lots and lots of 60 mile days, which tends to be my max range on one charge. I never seem to be able to accumulate more than 1500wh of battery worth carrying.

My record is 180km twice. 35Ah pack, one charge on the road at noon. 200km is possible.
With 1500W charging system (700W now) and riding eighteen hours something like 250-300km could be done but i would be totally exhausted after that.

StudEbiker said:
Also, what is the best way to verify the mileage that can be posted for everyone to easily see. I've often wanted to do a big cross country e-bike tour, but that just doesn't seem like a possibility, but being able to take one day and see how many miles I can cover...... well, that's doable. It's also doable for many others I suppose so this could be a real bragging rights type thing here on E-S to hold the single day distance record by e-bike. 8)

I find it easy to just plot the rough route in google maps if I know where I went afterwards. If not using gps that is.
Can be screencaped and posted or probably linked somehow.

I think Troy Rank had the record for single day distance? It would be interesting to have a score board.

You've been a member here for so long, and have contributed so much to the forum, I don't think I'd personalty need proof of your distance claim. If you say you did it, you did it.
If you wanted to document it, though. screen shots of your odometer would be good, or Or a screen shot from any GPS app or device, Or a google map with a route highlighted. Or draw a map in crayon on the bar coaster from the end of your ride and post a pic of it.

StudEbiker said:

I have been meaning to pack about 3-4kwh on my touring bike and see where my personal limit might take me. Perhaps sometime this summer I will give it a shot.

As far as recording and measuring rides, I really like Google MyTracks. Check it out if you have an Android phone.

Two years ago I did a 162km (100mi) round trip with my recumbent trike and direct drive hub, at a 25.4 km/h average.
Total consumption was 1300 Wh plus change, or 7.9 Wh/km. Still had maybe 8-10 km worth of energy left arriving back home, but had the Satiator with me in case I run ‘out of gas’.
ice-sprint-fs-24-with-nose-cone.jpg

In 2011 I did a 193km (120mi) tour in 9.5 hours, plus a 1.5 hour recharge break, with a 36V/11Ah battery, a small 250W Bafang SWXH hub in the 20" rear wheel and loaded panniers. The next day I was pretty wasted, though.
sprint-travel-trim.jpg

I don't remember the longest rides I've done for sure, but 40-50+ miles, on long routes to pickup several different items from freecycle, plus stops at various stores, and a break somewhere for recharging and eating/resting. It's been a few years since I've done that though--since before the housefire, I guess.

Right around then I also did bunches of long commutes for store remodels, but only half the distance at a time with working several hours between. An hour's ride or so each way, at 20MPH cruising, so less than 40 miles total--but often with bike (or trike) and trailer load full of stuff on the way back home, salvaged from the scrapped stuff at the remodels. (some of which in fact I am presently using to build Yogi's new trailer from, and of which much of SB Cruiser is made from).

Don't know whether you're aware, but an Arkansas guy 50+ years old just rode 76,000 miles last year on a p-bike (200+ miles every day of the year); put a motor on and imagine what he could do.

2old said:
Don't know whether you're aware, but an Arkansas guy 50+ years old just rode 76,000 miles last year on a p-bike (200+ miles every day of the year); put a motor on and imagine what he could do.

Cyclest Gump? . ...or did the flip-flop man get a bike? http://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/04/Life/Catching_up_with_the_.shtml

I'd like to log that many miles on a bike one year! :twisted:

I was doing 62 to 63 miles a day between work and going to gfs. She was about 31 miles away and work was in between. Did that probably at least 5 days a week for 4 months. Few days I did 80 miles with extra trips I had to make. Bike has 13,000 or so on it, and will be 2 years old in May.

rborger73 said:
I was doing 62 to 63 miles a day between work and going to gfs. She was about 31 miles away and work was in between. Did that probably at least 5 days a week for 4 months. Few days I did 80 miles with extra trips I had to make. Bike has 13,000 or so on it, and will be 2 years old in May.
Thats quite abit of time on a bike in between sleep, work, and GF !
Must have been plenty of motivation to make go the extra miles to the GF every day....:wink:

Hillhater said:
rborger73 said:
Thats quite abit of time on a bike in between sleep, work, and GF !
Must have been plenty of motivation to make go the extra miles to the GF every day....:wink:

Bout an hour an ten mins each way I think it was. But her house from work was much closer, so just the going home late at night 31 miles was fun for sure. I actually loved it in the summer when it was just the right temp at night in a tshirt. ;)

I can do 100-150 miles a day easily. I had 36v 36ah lifepo, charge once a day. At the end of the day, I am relaxed, and ready for more. This year I,m going with anther 1500wh of battery, and should be able to do 200 mile days. If my battery ever arrives mind you I have mid drive recumbent, with a 92" wheelbase, and a barcolounger for a seat, so there is little real exertion, and little physical abuse. I don,t think I,d want to more than about 20 miles on a regular bike anymore.

dilkes said:

Oh man imagine your behind full of calluses, gall, and what not. And those shorts I am certain they needed to be burned as he finished.
I love e-bikes as much as the next guy but a 24 hours record ride, no not for me. I will take a bow in honor for anyone that make the scoreboard mentioned.

5-6 hours of riding over a day would be max for me if pressed hard. Long distance does not do it for me. I like more hoolingan riding on backroads or dirtroads or hard track trails. With coffee breaks, chilling in the sun, with some fresh chewing tobacco.

For those hellbent on trying a recumbent trike with fairing should be superior for making a record.

Bill Bushnell, who is on this list, has done 200 mile rides each of the last three years to little fanfare. He is my hero.

http://mrbill.homeip.net/bikeBlog.php?latest

Bike Ridden: Power Pursuit F3
Distance: 200.2 miles
Cumulative climbing: 10390 feet
Total Time: 12:02:15
Riding Time: 10:14:23
Avg. Speed (moving): 19.5 mph
Max. Speed: 39.4 mph
Nominal System Voltage: 48
Battery energy capacity: 2800 wh
Battery energy consumed: 2737† wh
Wh/mi: 11.3
Battery Amps-Hour Used: 52.7
Regen Amps-Hour Recovered: 9.3
Peak Forward Current: 23.7 Amps
Peak Regen Current: 29.9 Amps

Bike Ridden: Power Pursuit F3
Distance: 201.0 miles
Cumulative climbing: 10120 feet
Total Time: 12:41:57
Riding Time: 10:44:39
Avg. Speed (moving): 18.7 mph
Max. Speed: 39.7 mph
Nominal System Voltage: 48
Battery energy capacity: 2800 wh
Battery energy consumed: 2880† wh
Wh/mi: 13.2
Battery Amps-Hour Used: 55.5
Regen Amps-Hour Recovered: 4.2
Peak Forward Current: 21.9 Amps
Peak Regen Current: 11.6 Amps

Bike Ridden: Power Gold Rush
Distance: 207.4 miles
Cumulative climbing: 8400 feet
Total Time: 13:34:25
Riding Time: 10:29:04
Avg. Speed (moving): 19.7 mph
Max. Speed: 55.4 mph
Nominal System Voltage: 24
Battery energy capacity: 4000 wh
Battery energy consumed: 2684 wh
Wh/mi: 12.9
Battery Amps-Hour Used: 100.0
Peak Current: 40.3 Amps
Motor energy to rear wheel: 1879 wh
Human energy to rear wheel: 1241 wh
Total energy delivered: 3120 wh

I find about 5-6 hours of bike saddle time about my limit.

Interestingly, I find my ass time limit is pretty close to the same on a more comfortable seat, on a scooter or motorcycle. I just did an 8 hour, 330 mile ride on my scooter, (gas) and found the last hour was pretty miserable. Ass was howling like a wolf that night. 6 hours would have been ok.

Yeah, it takes getting used to stuff that's new like that. Mind over matter until matter doesn't mind.

I went for a drive (first time ever going +150mi away from home) the other year and it was amazing how antsy and uncomfortable I would get after all day sitting in the drivers' seat. A mini van was a nice change for the 1500mi drive back because you're not as restrained to a 'cockpit' position, but it still would take getting used to (like truck driving etc).

As far as long distance on bikes, good for the guys that are going 100-200mi on ebikes, and pretty impressive how the 'human' battery can compare for just a normal bike and 400mi.

Little fun facts to make us all feel rather inadequate:

Last Sunday I was sitting together with a bunch of velomobile riders after a major public cycling event and asked about their typical daily touring distance with a velomobile.
Answer: 200km / 124 miles a day. On a long tour, 150km / 93 miles on consecutive days. The only woman in the round stated 120km / 74 miles a day.
Non of them got electric assist and their age was well North of 40 years.

Currently a guy in the German velomobile forum is organising a three week tour through France in 2017 for experianced velomobile riders. He organised a tour around the Baltic see last year (Great Baltic See Ride) and rode/coorganised the ROAM (Roll Over America) velomobile tour in 2011.
Typical daily riding distance for these tours is 200km. He is about 70 years old.

Human endurance, like most traits, fits a bell curve. Folks at the far end of that curve put most of us to shame. Bill went to electric assist, because of health issues. He was already doing 100+ mile rides for many years. My main problem with distance rides was power. I couldn't ride fast enough, to go that distance, before the sun went down.

I'm more of a low end mileage piker. My longest was 55 miles averaging about 25 MPH carrying 20 ah with one charge cycle in the middle.

Back