My recumbent cargo bike

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
Warren   100 kW

100 kW

Re: My recumbent cargo bike

Post by Warren » May 03 2019 12:41pm

rowbiker wrote:
May 02 2019 4:32pm
Hey Warren -- nice travelogue! It looks like using more regen braking during your fog ride significantly improved your watt hours per mile. This matches nicely with my experience, but your 'sampling rate' of 100+ miles makes for better data. Nice top end speeds, btw -- that's the nice road hugging stability of a LWB recumbent (and I imagine decent road surfaces).
It actually shows that it is mostly uphill from my house to the cabin. Notice my slowest average speed, and worst Wh/mile, were on the way there, and just the opposite on the way back. The second day's round trip is a better indication of performance, and falls right between the other two days for speed and Wh/mile. During the three days, I was seeing regen running between 5%, and 8% most of the time.

Regen gives a bit back, but the biggest advantage is braking performance. My cargo bike is 130 pounds without the charger, and other camping stuff. At 22,784 miles, I am still on the original Kool Stop orange pads up front, and the original Avid disc pads in the rear. Regen does 98% of my braking.

And yeah, this thing feels like a crouch rocket on good asphalt. Back EMF limits me to 37 mph down a cliff...just as I planned, as I am an idiot.

donn   1 kW

1 kW

Post by donn » May 03 2019 1:31pm

I love a good down hill on good pavement, on a long wheelbase recumbent like that. Even better with handlebars below the seat. Like laying in bed looking up at the sky going by at 30 mph.

rowbiker   100 W

100 W

Post by rowbiker » May 03 2019 2:21pm

I'm still looking for a chance to try USS -- all four of my recumbents have the over-seat-steering, almost entirely due to the fact that "they came that way". It's not that they're uncomfortable or don't handle well, but I've always 'assumed' that the view is better with the under-seat-steering, and view is a nice thing to have more of.

donn   1 kW

1 kW

Post by donn » May 03 2019 3:09pm

rowbiker wrote:
May 03 2019 2:21pm
"they came that way"
So did my Limbo, which I sought out for use with the electric hub motor after the virtues of rear suspension at speed became clear. So I made up my own under-seat steering pivot.
P1060961.jpg
I kind of went overboard with that as metal working project, but I've seen pictures of some nice work that used auto supply muffler clamps and stuff like that. I conveniently already had steering linkage - the Limbo has SWB and CLWB configurations, steering is at the SWB position with linkage to the front for CLWB - but it's no great problem to add a linkage arm to the steering tube.

It's hard to explain why it's so much more fun. The view is part of it, for sure.

Only a small part of it, but I think my hands get less cold in cold weather, better circulation.

Warren   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Warren » May 03 2019 3:21pm

I went just the other way. My Linear had USS when I got it. It was OK, I just really prefer OSS. USS makes me think of lying on the hood of a car, hanging on to the windshield wipers for security.

rowbiker   100 W

100 W

Post by rowbiker » May 04 2019 9:19am

Warren wrote:
May 03 2019 3:21pm
USS makes me think of lying on the hood of a car, hanging on to the windshield wipers for security.
Warren -- you say that like it's a bad thing ... :|

rowbiker   100 W

100 W

Post by rowbiker » May 04 2019 9:32am

donn wrote:
May 03 2019 3:09pm
Only a small part of it, but I think my hands get less cold in cold weather, better circulation.
I hadn't even considered that, but since I do a lot of winter riding and have circulation issues, that might be another plus.

My main concern is, as Warren so poetically suggests above, that you feel like you're less in control of the bike. Obviously that's a subjective thing, but not a negative in your experience. I've got thousands of miles on recumbents, but all with OSS --except for one 500 mile jaunt across Iowa as the stoker on a tandem recumbent with USS -- which doesn't really count for a comparison. I guess I might just need to find a machine locally for a test ride.

donn   1 kW

1 kW

Post by donn » May 04 2019 11:08am

The car hood analogy is as accurate as your head wants it to be. The handlebars are not at all like windshield wipers in reality, the seat is nothing like sitting on a car hood. Security blanket. I personally enjoy the unobstructed freedom. Of course there are different ways to set the handlebars up, not just below or above seat but also the tiller vs. linkage driven configurations, and with different wheelbases. Above/below seat might affect control in some way, but certainly not as much the other configuration options do. And then there are different ways to configure below seat handlebars. I started with an old school Vanguard, and that's what I like, essentially straight bars; most common these days seems to be a "cow horn" configuration, with your hands backwards on the brake handles, index finger on the end of the lever. Vision had an underseat tiller.

markz   100 GW

100 GW

Post by markz » May 05 2019 10:06pm

Looks like a comfortable seat!
donn wrote:
May 03 2019 3:09pm
P1060961.jpg

donn   1 kW

1 kW

Post by donn » May 05 2019 10:14pm

High speed office chair. Made by Corbin, well regarded for motorcycle seats. My Vanguard is more of the high speed lawn chair model, mesh sling all the way, and I think that's closer to ideal, but this Burley/Corbin seat is fine - now that the handlebars are below the seat. Above seat did something subtle to abdomen and back posture, and the seat was mildly irritating.

Warren   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Warren » Aug 31 2019 10:05am

The hottest days are behind us for another year. Been pretty nice the last few weeks. Highs in the 80s F, lows in the 60s F. Haven't determined which specific hall wire it broken, in the external cable.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=101023

But it messes up infrequently enough, and is easy enough to "fix" with a nudge of the cable along the chainstay, that I have put off tearing into it.

Rode to CJ's Ice Cream, above Lake Anna, yesterday, for a shake. My excuse was to check out the replacement bridge on Mt Olive Road. It has been closed for a year, like many bridges around here, it was being raised to deal with more frequent high water. Google showed it as opening today, but it was open yesterday, though some equipment, and port-a-johns were still there...even one sign saying, Open To Local Traffic Only.

93.5 miles, 4:14.58, 21.9 mph ave, 34.9 mph max, 1950.8 Wh, 20.6 Wh/mi, 35.52 Ah, 25,000 miles, so far.
Attachments
Mt Olive Road-new bridge.jpg
Mt Olive Road-new bridge.jpg (508.65 KiB) Viewed 217 times

Warren   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Warren » Sep 25 2019 10:53am

On the 15th, I attended a clean energy event, at the Pavilion, on the walking mall in Charlottesville. I have gone to several of these each of the last two years in the Bolt. But this is the first one that I figured I could ride to, spend 3-4 hours talking EVs, and still ride home before dark. I just checked the local TV news outlet. My recumbent cargo bike appears for a second in their video.
Charlottesville EV event.jpg
Charlottesville EV event.jpg (234.49 KiB) Viewed 144 times

rowbiker   100 W

100 W

Post by rowbiker » Sep 25 2019 5:58pm

Next year it will be a complete interview of you and the bike! :thumb: