recommended controller? Throttle?

beoutside

10 W
As I diagnose my DIY cargo bike shut down I keep hearing you should have an extra throttle and controller around. What brands and sources has everyone been happy with? I don't mind spending a few extra dollars for more reliable parts but it drives me crazy to pay to much money for something someone else has just repackaged from another source. Appreciate any info !!

Brands and sources??
I think about system parameters and features first.
Regen or no. Sine wave, square wave or new wave?
What Voltages, LVC, if so where?
Amps, display connectivity and programming?
If you bike is "DIY", what steered you to the controller that is being used now?
Does it meet your expectations, or is it lacking somewhere?
Give us some specifics and then sensible recommendations can be made.
If it's what you still want, why not buy the same thing as a replacement?
The argument that a spare controller is needed really only applies to those who's Ebike is their sole commuter transpo.
These days, I can get the controllers I use in less than a week and I can live without my bike for that long.

motomech said:
Brands and sources??

No to regen, as far as wave goes I am up for recommendations .

I would need some debriefing on this subject.. I have a gas motor mechanic
and bicycle builder background but being able to tell you I can build up a wheel does not help me learn and understand the ebike end of things.
I really appreciate everyone who has shown us newbies patience and understanding as we expand our knowledge.
My project that has been in use the last year
Yuba Cargo built up with xt/xtr level components ( donations from friends who don't have kids)
Primary use :
Pedal to town with some assist when I am carrying kids/wife and or groceries. 7 mile round trip flat bike path. I will never run this over 20 mph when carrying kids. Hence the three speed switch.

15ah battery from cali bike New

BMC V3 USED rear hub laced up with Sun Ringle DH rim and running 203 avid mechanical disc and 8 sp free wheel
the previous owner filled this with some type of oil. I have run this hub probably on 40 rides problem free.

Controller... Lyen Mark II 9 fet new , what Edward recommended for my application, I have maybe 15 rides on this

CA V3 New

three setting switch

Full twist throttle from Edward as well new.

If you look at my other posts : yuba mundo died mid ride and lyen controller you can see what I have been tryin to figure out..... all thoughts appreciated !

If you bike is "DIY", what steered you to the controller that is being used now?

I want it to be "turn key" So my wife can use it as well.

Do others agree with the dependability of my choices?

The argument that a spare controller is needed really only applies to those who's Ebike is their sole commuter transpo.
These days, I can get the controllers I use in less than a week and I can live without my bike for that long.
Good Point!
People have stated to use another throttle and controller to diagnose, I was hoping with good fluke/ meter skills and knowing/learning perimeters that would not ne necessary.

Attachments

• email size.jpg
    email size.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 2,802
Ok, I see.
At least you have Alan B trying to help, he's the best.
You will need another controller w/ direct plug-in to the CA V3, right?
That really narrows things down a bit.
I have seen a genaric(non Infineon based)controller w/ DP, but off hand, I can't remember where.
As for vendors for Infineons, this is about it;
Lyen
Grin, or Ebike CA
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/controllers/c3635-nc.html
Ebike SF(Grin products, located in San Fran.)
http://www.ebikessf.com/catalog/2
And Paul @ EM3ev
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_38&product_id=79
Grin has them in stk. and their shipping is really fast, a couple of days if you want to wait till you are sure you need it.
Paul is a great guy and a prefered vendor here @ ES. It seems crazy to buy one all the way back in China, but he is good to work with and his pricing is attractive.
Ebike SF claims their 9-FET is calibrated for BMC motor. Not sure how much that means to your application. Ebike SF is another prefered vendor and has a rep. for very good customer service.
All of them have throttles.
Hope this helps.

Just to be clear, Lyen controllers aren't just repackaged. As I understand it he gets the boards with SMT parts on them, and then he adds the prime quality FETs and does various mods on them and adds cables that the buyer wants. He also provides a high level of service and does repairs.

I have quite a few of Edward Lyen's controllers, and all have been trouble free except one. A 24 FET unit that I used for the Cromotor did have reliability problems. It worked fine for long periods of time, but several times it failed at low speed. Edward repaired it, which is a great service, but I decided to try a new Sabvoton on that bike which is a physically much larger, heavier and more expensive controller. It is also sinewave and has worked out really well on the Borg.

My old Lyen 24 FET is now on a Xlyte motor and has been totally reliable there, so it just didn't quite like my setup for some reason.

When the 24 FET failed I used a 12 FET Lyen as a backup, and it worked fine, though it got pretty warm. Then I used an 18 FET 150V Lyen controller as a backup and it also got hot and worked fine. And the Sabvoton has not had any trouble on that motor. Other folks have also used 24 FET Lyens on the Cromotor, so I don't know why it didn't work for me. But I do have a lot of battery, and low inductance wiring, so the current can get very high, and with 24 FETs it can really peak up. The sinewave controllers monitor the motor current so they tend not to let it get as high.

The spares don't have to be different, having two the same makes it easier to debug things, and if something breaks you can get back on the road without waiting for parts to be shipped. Anyone wanting to ride an ebike daily or frequently should consider having some spare parts, unless you have a convenient ebike shop nearby.

Great points , thanks ! Edward Lyen has been very helpful . Sorry for the confusion but I never felt he was just repacking less expensive controllers from china . I have just seen people on ebay doing that. I never felt that was the deal with Lyens controllers which is why I bought from him. It may even be a hub issue I am having but wasn't looking to crack open the hub just yet.
As always thanks for all the input .
Donny

Ed Lyen does have a history of disappearing from time to time.
But I guess we can't fault him for that.

motomech said:
Brands and sources??

I am more of a new world music guy so being harmonics what they are I would go New wave all the way :)
Thanks for the humor !

After talking with my electrical engineer buddy he says you really need a scope to test phase wires to the motor , which is beyond my knowledge at the moment. As a mechanic guy the hub doesn't scare me it's more spare time right now and not wanting to open the hub if it's fine. Since eeryone suggests having a spare controller and throttle I am doing just that.
I did send my controller back to Lyen, he has been very on top of it and I am waiting to hear back.
After talking with Grin.ca , they say their controllers do not play nice with the high rpm BMC motors I have decided to get a back up controller directly from BMC. Other bike shops source them but add on almost 100.00 which might be due to there own modifications, but I hope it comes from BMC just as the pic shows, plug and play for a CA V3.
Thanks again for the responses
Donny

Attachments

• bmccontroller.png
    bmccontroller.png
    47.4 KB · Views: 2,655
Back