- - Desired max speed level ground: 30-32mph(~48kph) with pedaling.
- Desired cruise speed level ground: ~25-28mph(42.6)
- Want to install torque pedal-assist (want to keep that bike-feel, but gotta ride like superman!) with a throttle to override if I need the boost / am wiped out. I intend to be pedaling 99% of the time.
- Desired range: Daily commuter, ~5mi(~8km) each way to/from work mostly side streets, but I'd like to be able to use it to get anywhere within an hour's (~15-20mi) ride, again overwhelmingly flat, and with me pedaling. I'm working towards eliminating my car use for anything that doesn't require distance freeway travel, because LA traffic is balls.
- My weight: around 145lbs (65.77kgs)
- Current wheel size: 700c ... I think. (print on tires is: 32-622 (700 x 32C - 28 x 1 5/8 x 1 1/4))
- Brake type: Center-pull Rim
- Terrain: Mostly flat, some gradual hills, the rare hill that hits 15% grade plus is often really short or can just be ridden around. This is the South Bay area of Los Angeles, California.
- Motor: I'm really inclined towards geared for the ability to freewheel, extra torque for stop/go stop signs and clearing cars at lights, and the smaller profile (stealthy and I'll be carrying this up/down stairs to an apartment daily).
- Budget: $2500
Photo of bike: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1kkjy51muyexa ... .jpg?raw=1
Photo of brakes: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rdj2976d5cwah ... .jpg?raw=1
Photo of chainring: https://www.dropbox.com/s/mcbeuoru8bx21 ... .jpg?raw=1
I'm hoping this bike is suitable for a conversion, as I'm not keen on buying an entirely new bike. Here's everything I've got so far:
- - Kit: eZee Rear (geared) Kit, Advanced PAS http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/conversion-ki ... d-pas.html, including...
- - THUN Torque Sensor
- option of 7-9 speed(all 11-32T) freewheel, I'd love advice on what I should choose here
- the C3625-EZ_R Controller - 36V-48V 25A
- V3 Cycle Analyst
- Half-twist Throttle
- Torque Arm (probably not necessary but good for peace of mind?)
- and L/R eBrake cutoffs
- - TRIANGLE 48V Panasonic PF 18650 20-Ah Pack: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48 ... 0-ah-pack/
- TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic PF 18650 20ah Pack: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/52 ... 20ah-pack/
- TRIANGLE 52v Panasonic GA 18650 24ah Pack HIGH POWER + LONG RANGE: http://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/52 ... ong-range/
- - THUN Torque Sensor
Questions I know just enough to ask:
- - Is 48V with the stock controller enough for what I'm trying to do? Is it worth trying for 52V or higher amps? If so, will the original controller (and motor!) be able to handle such a load or should I see about upgrading to something like the 36-72V, 40A C7240-NC? http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/ebike-parts/c ... 40-nc.html
- Are the 20+Ah packs total overkill?
- Is the frame safe/usable? I understand the points made about front suspensions (comfort, impact) but I'd like to avoid purchasing a whole new Mountain bike frame if possible.
- I worked with the motor simulator at ebikes.ca a lot and figured the eZee 250rpm geared motor would be suitable for my needs, is this correct?
- The current large chain ring is 50T, which I could never use when loaded and touring. But I understand that with a motor things really change. Is 50T with an 11T rear sprocket enough for me to be pedaling at the 25-30mph speeds I'm hoping for? Or should I look into installing a larger chain ring?
- What option for the rear wheel (7, 8, or 9 speed freewheel, all 11-32T) would be best in terms of maintainability, etc? Does it matter?
- Is it worth getting something like the Cycle Satiator to do 80% charges on the battery to increase lifespan?