What Brand/Model Tires do you use on your Electric Bike?

Ottodog

100 W
Hey Guys. Looking for a recommendation for new Tires for my Electric Bike and I'm curious what you guys are using. My rims are 26" and it's a full suspension Mtn. Bike Frame. I've been using Kenda Slant Sixes, but I really don't need a Knobbie (I ride mostly street) and they are wearing out really, really, fast. Like 4 months fast... I'd like to get something that will last longer and perform better on the Roads. What say you, Sphere? Any advice greatly appreciated. 8)

CST Cyclops

I’ve used Big Apple and Marathon. I know people love that brand but I just don’t get the benefit of ‘em. I’ve commuted regularly over 10 years on tough roads and CST Cyclops is the best ride and bargain ($15/tire) I’ve found.

Downside is that “Cyclops” sometimes won’t fit some frames and if/when that happened I would go to Panaracer UfDa! - unfortunately, that model tire has been discontinued. My solution now is to just throw out any bike the CST Cyclops doesn’t fit.

LewTwo said:
Freedom ThickSlick .... about as far removed from nobbies as you can get but they only have 2 Inch width available in the 26 inch size.

http://freedombicycle.com/products/thickslick

I'm using 29 x 2.1" Thick Slick Deluxes on one of my non-electric bikes, and I really like them.

26 x 2.0" Panaracer RiBMos are excellent e-bike tires. They're highly puncture resistant, but also uncommonly fast, with nice ride quality.

Continental Country Plus 26 x 1.9", Schwalbe Big Apple Plus 26 x 2.15", and Panaracer Tour Guard Plus 26 x 2.0" are all tires with enough picture protection, wear resistance, and casing volume to make great e-bike tires.

Big Apples.
I have 3000 miles on mine. Front shows no signs of wear other than the little threads left from the molding process having gone from the center. The rear is about 25% worn. I use the back brake mainly.

They have a mild tread not suited to off-road but with the pressure right you can lean like a motorcycle. They are a balloon tyre though designed to run soft for comfort. I run them soft and have seen no other bike roll as well.

There is a mileage based thread and they own it.

If I was to pick fault it would be wet weather performance as they are slick, and puncture resistance, because an inch long thorn sat upright complete with guiding branch made it through.

I just swapped from Schwalbe Big Apple 26x2.35 to DMR Moto RT 26x2.40.

Schwalbe is a relly good tyre but screams like a car in an emergency braking. Rear was surprisingly worn out after 700 miles in a semi aggressive riding, mostly in an smooth bike lane. No tread no confidence under the rain, time for a swap.

DMR hasn't the renown that Schwalbe has, but I read many positive reviews. Too early for my own review, but so far(30 miles) so good.

20160415_103826.jpg

Swalbe big apple when I had a hub... because heavy rear sucks without suspension and changing a flat of a hub motor sucks the fat one. On mid-drive I run Conti TravelContact as weight is centered and bumps suck slightly less. Also, tube changes are simple.

this is for a full rigid bike ( Cyclocross )

I'm a bit of a dope compared to the others, but I generally run a 2" beach cruiser tire on my street bikes. I would love to convert them both to a rear moped tire and rim though, because they are cargo bikes.

My issue is rarely wear out time, the cheap ass Walmart beach cruiser tires will last me about 2000 miles. 4000 on the front wheel. But what constantly happens on the roads I ride, is nails, screws, bolts, etc are everywhere. So the front wheel tips up the huge metal spike, then the back wheel hits it and there goes another tire. I've had tires do this in the first 5 miles twice. In the first month even more. So in short, I buy a twenty buck tire because I am thrilled if I get 6 months from a back tire.

Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I seriously doubt big apples can take a half inch lag bolt, folded up 16 penny nail, or sheetrock screw through the sidewall. So I haven't tried running expensive tires on my streets.

Part of my problem is where I live. To get anywhere, I pretty much have to ride a bike lane on the freeway frontage. Because of idiotic government shit, the street I live on gets swept at least once a year, possibly twice. But the state maintains that frontage, and sweeps it at least every 5 years, when they re stripe. I actually go out with a broom and shovel and hand clean the first couple miles by my house. But 12 miles of road to clean is just too much for me.

I'm wondering at the moment, about installing some kind of deflector plate on the bike, like a pavement dragging fender on the rear wheel. Something that would kick a flipping nail to the side before the tire catches it.

The entire problem, is a result of riding in a bike lane. Cars throw all the trash to the side.

dogman dan said:
I would love to convert them both to a rear moped tire and rim though, because they are cargo bikes.
If you're running 20" bike rims, especially if they are wide like mine, then you can easily convert to something like the Shinko SR241 tire and matching tube, and the cost is no worse than a typical bike tire, though the weight is several times higher, because it's much much thicker and tougher.

I'm running those on the rear of SB Cruiser, which really only got flats from extreme wear and tire/tube failures, not really much from debris. Haven't tried one on CrazyBike2 yet cuz I don't ride it much these days as I usually need the trike even for work cuz of Tiny (or cuz I am so tired I don't trust to not tip over when stopped on a bike).

Couldn't guarantee you they'd take a bolt without damage, but they'd stand a way better chance. ;)

I'm wondering at the moment, about installing some kind of deflector plate on the bike, like a pavement dragging fender on the rear wheel. Something that would kick a flipping nail to the side before the tire catches it.

That's been discussed in some of the flat-prevention threads. One thing I've imagined but never tried: you could just take a broom head and install it on the bottom of the frame, like on the kickstand mount area, at an "extreme" angle to push stuff off to the side before it reaches the tire.

Good roads and trails in CA, so I'm primarily interested in flat resistance from goathead thorns; so far Schwalbe Marathon Plus are working out fine.

Marathon Plus, getting to 4000 kms and no problems (but the 1st day....), i've ride through some dirty roads gutters, and still with some small shards attached to the wheel, after brushem them off, no problemo. It's an incredible change coming from regular brands. I had 1 almost every month, now, after about a yr, nothing. I guess their heavy for regular bikes, but for ebikes...should be a must.

BiciMad said:
Marathon Plus, getting to 4000 kms and no problems

Marathon Plus are super puncture resistant, and they are fairly comfortable on account of that first 1/4" of squishy breaker belt. But their handling is a bit squirrelly and they wear faster than some other options, at least when loaded up near their max rating.

I use them on my rain bike, so I won't have to deal with a flat in the rain. I'll use RiBMos for the next set, in the interest of more speed and cushiness.

Im running the big bens on my cargobike as I think they are a good compromise between rolling resistance and grippy features.
They have been running well for 3600km so far. Not much wear either. Had one flat on the rear tyre from a nail or similar when the tyres were nearly new.
But since then nothing. Guess I was unlucky that time.

I went with the big bens over the big apples because they had a more grippy pattern, and also more features on the sides.

I also like marathon plus tyres (mainly been running the winter version).

Put it this way. 2 sets of Maxxis Hookworms and 13,000 miles between the two sets, with a lot of meat on the current set. Fronts hardly wear at all, the rear where more weight rides tend to wear faster. They grip awesomely and I don't see me going to anything else anytime soon.

rborger73 said:
Put it this way. 2 sets of Maxxis Hookworms and 13,000 miles between the two sets, with a lot of meat on the current set. Fronts hardly wear at all, the rear where more weight rides tend to wear faster. They grip awesomely and I don't see me going to anything else anytime soon.

29 x 2.5" Hookworms are the first choice at the pedicab manufacturer I work for. They're neither the fastest tires in their category nor the toughest, but they're pretty fast, really tough, and huge. Tread on the sidewalls is a big advantage in the pedicab application.

I use the lightweight sibling, Maxxis Grifter 29 x 2.5", on the front of my proto-fatbike. It's a fine comfy tire that hasn't given me any trouble, but it's not nearly as burly as Hookworm.

Lots of great suggestions here and many I wasn't previously aware of. I've decided to go with 2.15 Schwalbe Big Bens for my next set. I think they are the best compromise for my riding style. Thank you all for the advice, it is much appreciated and I hope some other folks found the thread useful as well.

Ditto the big bens, I just put a set of Sch Big bens 29x 2.1 ebike speed rated tires on my hybrid , Love 'em so far. My other ebike is running Continental top contact 26x2.0. 2000 miles NO FLATS! got to love that.

I'm a bit of a cheapskate and use Performance Gothams 35s on my 1000 watt front hub and have Maxxis Thorn proof tubes. For me it's a good deal when I can buy the tire for $13 and last me 6 months and 1800 miles of commuting. Also run them on a 350 watt front too and my other street cycles. I ride through downtown San Francisco and bike paths for a daily trip of 40 miles.

Kenda Kiiniption Mountain Bike Tire, available in 26" x 2.3" about $25 per tire, light weight, high pressure, awesome for Urban riding.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026LJX4U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Kenda K838 Pair City Slick Wide Black Bike Tire 26" X 1.95" Mountain Cruiser. Good traction for the road, but forget using it in the dirt.

Back