Neox is reinventing e-bikes

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Neox is reinventing e-bikes

Post by LockH » May 17 2016 2:54pm

... from the ground up. [Oh REALLY???]
http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/neox-re ... round.html

With an integrated sequential gearbox, the first of its kind for e-bikes [Oh REALLY???], and a fully enclosed chain and drivetrain, plus a host of other features, Neox offers a fresh approach to electric bicycles.
Winner of a 2015 Eurobike award for e-bikes and pedelecs (electric assist bikes)[Oh REALLY!]
Of course, all of these features add to ... h REALLY!]

[Really!]
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/my ... n-electric
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

docw009   10 kW

10 kW

Re: Neox is reinventing e-bikes

Post by docw009 » May 17 2016 3:58pm

There's a strut missing on the non-sprocket side. These styling exercises that make the bike harder to fabricate and less stronger make little sense to me.

gogo   10 MW

10 MW

Post by gogo » May 17 2016 4:14pm

docw009 wrote:There's a strut missing on the non-sprocket side. These styling exercises that make the bike harder to fabricate and less stronger make little sense to me.
Ya, but how 'bout that fully enclosed chain?
"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking." -Steven Wright

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » May 17 2016 5:27pm

Dutch and English bikes have been fully enclosing the chain for more than a century without undermining the bike's structure in the process. These dorks not only removed structural pieces that are there for good reasons, but they used curved tubes (weaker, less stiff) in the front triangle. Gimmicky and questionable aesthetics are more important than function for them, I guess.

Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » May 17 2016 6:23pm

I've never liked one-armed forks, even when the data clearly shows the latest design is strong enough. There are even one-sided suspension forks which can take hard hits

But...on the rear of the frame, for a street bike? that's a good point Chalo. Maybe not horrible, however...I wouldn't pay extra for it.

WoodlandHills   10 kW

10 kW

Post by WoodlandHills » May 17 2016 6:47pm

Chalo wrote:Dutch and English bikes have been fully enclosing the chain for more than a century without undermining the bike's structure in the process. These dorks not only removed structural pieces that are there for good reasons, but they used curved tubes (weaker, less stiff) in the front triangle. Gimmicky and questionable aesthetics are more important than function for them, I guess.

Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.
SS swingarms have some downsides too, chief among them chain adjustment. If you use an eccentric, you end up changing the rake since the rear of the bike moves up or down as the eccentric rotates. This was a constant headache in our race work with the Ducati 916/955/etc and with the RC45 in AMA Superbike. Every rear sprocket change required a complete chassis setup change to maintain the same geometry with the changing axle position, some tracks we had to choose between optimum gearing or optimum geometry. The Suzuki and Kawi Superbikes had normal horizontal sliding adjusters on twin beam swingarms as did the Supersport bikes and were a lot easier to manage.

Sunder   100 MW

100 MW

Post by Sunder » May 17 2016 10:55pm

docw009 wrote:There's a strut missing on the non-sprocket side. These styling exercises that make the bike harder to fabricate and less stronger make little sense to me.
Makes it incredibly easy to change a flat. Surely that's a consideration for any bike that can't use quick release skewers, like an eBike?
eBike: Q100H on 16S with Phaserunner FOC Controller
eMotorscooter: Vectrix VX-1 on 36S
eCar: Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV... Waiting for warranty to expire
eHouse: Still on grid, but with LTO batteries and 3kw LF inverter...

After 5 builds, the best advice I can give, is start with high quality products. I prefer http://www.ebikes.ca

LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Post by LockH » May 18 2016 4:21am

Right now:
18 backers
€28,290 pledged of €120,000 goal
37 days to go

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)

(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hillhater » May 18 2016 6:23am

Sunder wrote:
Makes it incredibly easy to change a flat. Surely that's a consideration for any bike that can't use quick release skewers, like an eBike?
But its mid drive, so the rear wheel could be a regular skewer hub.....
..but no, they made it a cantilever anyway, so every component is unique to that wheel and under unnecessary stress !! :roll:
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

Miles   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Miles » May 20 2016 2:36am

Details of their gearbox, here:
Attachments
EP2881315A2 (1).pdf
(1.86 MiB) Downloaded 47 times

liveforphysics   100 GW

100 GW

Post by liveforphysics » May 20 2016 3:09am

So many moving parts to add losses and new failure modes, and a design that requires extra material to be as stiff/strong, or is much weaker for same mass of frame material used.

That said, I hope they make it a quality product and provide good ebike experiences that help the revolution.
Each carcinogen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for cancer.

Each mutagen vapor exposure includes a dice roll for reproductive genetic defects in your children.

Each engine start sprays them into a shared atmosphere which includes beings not offered an opportunity to consent accepting these cancer experiences and defective genetics life experiences.

Every post is a free gift to the collective of minds composing the living bleeding edge of LEV development on our spaceship.

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » May 20 2016 5:32am

Interesting design (8-speed?). It "looks like" the motor and pedals (both with integral freewheels) drive the lower shaft filled with gears that are fixed to the lower shaft and are constantly driven.

The gears on the upper shaft are constantly enmeshed and spinning, but each is not fixed to the output shaft that they freely spin on.

I "think" that alongside each freewheeling upper shaft gear is a friction disc that is fixed to the upper output shaft. There is a smaller parallel shaft (part #50) that: by stepped rotation, it can insert a small friction disc in-between one of the large shaft-fixed discs, and the gear that is spinning next to it, acting as clutches (parts 46b).
NeoxTransmission.png
NeoxTransmission.png (104.88 KiB) Viewed 1348 times
NeoxTransmission2.png
NeoxTransmission2.png (135.9 KiB) Viewed 1348 times

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » May 20 2016 9:09am

Yep, definitely not keeping it plain and simple, but it has a nice retro European look.
Yet, I'm kind of bothered with the rear brake caliper mount. :|
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.
Current bikes
Street: https://s20.postimg.org/ewrvugywt/Session_04_2015.jpg
Dirt: https://s20.postimg.org/lbqwr55ml/IMG_0157.jpg

LockH   100 GW

100 GW

Post by LockH » May 20 2016 11:58am

Kickstarter not looking too healthy at this point...
19 backers
€28,291 pledged of €120,000 goal
35 days to go

squashua   1 mW

1 mW

Post by squashua » May 20 2016 1:01pm

This thing looks like a nightmare to maintain and service, all for $4K? No thanks.

Chalo   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Chalo » May 20 2016 1:25pm

MadRhino wrote:Yet, I'm kind of bothered with the rear brake caliper mount. :|
That's the way to put it on the right (wrong?) side of the wheel. The pedicabs I build have the same arrangement for the left rear wheel. Otherwise, you have to get mirror image calipers, which are dumb.
This is to express my gratitude to Justin of Grin Technologies for his extraordinary measures to save this forum for the benefit of all.

LewTwo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LewTwo » May 22 2016 7:12pm

Chalo wrote:... Single sided wheel mounting offers the advantage of servicing the tire and tube without removing the wheel, so at least there's an up side.
Yep, there be a definite advantage. Easier to get the wheel off as well. Vespa has been building scooters like that for decades.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

Hillhater   100 GW

100 GW

Post by Hillhater » May 23 2016 6:31am

Really ?....who prefers to mess with a tire/tube with the wheel still on the bike ?
Much simpler to pop the whole wheel out to find and fix a puncture etc... (but i bet this is not so quick on this joker)..
This forum owes its existence to Justin of ebikes.ca

Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh   10 MW

10 MW

Post by Toorbough ULL-Zeveigh » Apr 15 2018 5:21pm

anywun that knows the classic marketing school case study of how harry winston took worthless garbage black pearls & turned them into highly desireable/expensive jewelry will recognize whatz going on here by relabelling this ebike a lamebo.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... x#p1186470

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... i#p1372095
Kick down the barricades Listen what the kids say.
From time to time people change their minds But the Frock is here to stay.
I've seen it all from the bottom to the top Everywhere I go the kids wanna Frock.
Around the world or around the block Everywhere I go the kids wanna Frock.