XLR charging configuration guide

littlelunker

100 µW
Hello,

I am looking to set up my new build with XLR connectors for convenient charging. I wanted to know if anyone could link me to a decent guide for connecting everything to my battery as well as on the charger side.

The existing charge leads are currently anderson PP30 connectors.

If anyone has an even better solution to easy charging please say so!

Thanks!!!!

I wanted to mount the plug so I could charge the battery without opening up the side covers of my frame (vector frame). Is there a way to do this with the anderson connectors that is waterproof?

I use these on both vector frames. Good for 30A charging, even with the Adaptto coil tucked underneath it mounted internally (v warm) :). They've both seen the UK winter and survived in all weather conditions. Fine line with soldering between a good pot and melting the pin mounts :).

I would reccommend an xlr over Anderson's for any kind of connector which will be mounted to the outside of the bike and exposed to the elements. Not for high current though. They are cheaper than Anderson's and alot more available, try your local music shop or eBay if you don't mind waiting. More waterproof too since the distance between the pins is greater. I had a panel mount Anderson connector melt in the rain even with a fuse, this was a lighting connector.

I push 20A of charging current through my panel mount xlr no problem. I wire it so that two of the pins are + and the remaining pin as well as the outer barrel are -. In this configuration I am utilizing all of the contacts in the connector, for maximum current.

themadhatter106 said:
I push 20A of charging current through my panel mount xlr no problem. I wire it so that two of the pins are + and the remaining pin as well as the outer barrel are -. In this configuration I am utilizing all of the contacts in the connector, for maximum current.
as themadhatter106 implys, the contacts of a 3-pin xlr connector can somewhat safely carry 10A.
I don't care for xlr connectors carrying current, because the connections are exposed, where accidents can happen (and usually do). Not saying I don't use an audio connector for my battery stuff.
I do.
Its' trade name is NL4. The chassis connector is a "D" series xlr connector. Interesting tidbit about the "D" series shell... you can get all sorts of connectors within it like USB, Ethernet and coax types to name just a few. But I digress...
The NL4 "speakon" connectors are rated for 30A (x4) per conductor and the actual connectors are hidden under a mess-o-plastic stuff. Almost impossible to short out. Did I mention the part where the cable connector requires no tooling for assembly? Just a cross-point screwdriver to tighten the wire connectors (no soldering)
...anyways, it's what I use for my battery cases for both discharging and charging purposes.

Back