Sounds interesting . Why not make a seat rather than a bulky waterbottle do hickey.
I can buy Powervelocitys controller and alarm for much the same price.

Defeating this one is easy. The bad guys can just use what they're likely already carrying- pliers or a clipper. A quick squash or cut and this thing would be disabled. I'll take mine hidden.

Probably "safest" is to put both on. ;)

install a visible deterrent box with a blinking light on it, perhaps even an antenna, and labelled as GPS ALARM or whatever. Or even a real alarm, etc., that's visible.

Then a hidden tracker that's not accessible without taking quite a bit of time disassembling the bike or hacking it apart, so that if the deterrent doesn't work, you might still be able to locate it (or the main piece with the tracker in it, at least).

On ToDo List: (Tiny) Red flashing LED light + sign beside it that says "GPS Tracker Enabled". (No actual tracker installed.)

This seems exorbitantly high priced. Then again, it IS Verizon. I would not trust them with my data at all. But that is just me.
What it is, is a "set and forget" solution for those that do not like to manage anything. Which I can respect. We all have our own ways of doing things.

Why not use a cheap Android phone? There are so many things you could do with one, plus you have the choice of software you want to use.
You can even get FREE cellular service for one what would be way more than enough for this particular use. And the cost to activate the service is less than 1 of the $28yr payments.
I might start up a thread explaining the process. Seems there are a lot of people not aware of the possibilities.

Similar to the Garmin I purchased a few years ago, and they discontiued the whole service the next year. Boomerang might be more inclined to pursue the service after they realize they don't sell enough of them to cover the investment.

Use a decoy/phoney one (box with wires and small antenna coming out) as a ruse for a deterrent, with a hidden one to fool the fools into believing they're not going to be caught. :wink: I need one to find the mind that I lost, but that's been years ago and attaching it to my head now with screws would really make me a screwball. :lol:

The fingers said:
Use a decoy/phoney one (box with wires and small antenna coming out) as a ruse for a deterrent, with a hidden one to fool the fools into believing they're not going to be caught.
I thought the same as well. Good policy to follow w/backup.
However, I would rather my bike not walk off on its own.
Best case scenario, it stays where it was put.

Everyone, just think about a cheap Android phone for a minute.
You can remove it from the casing, hide it somewhere. Who is going to know what a phone Mobo looks like?
There simply are too many.
Hide it in the seat, in the battery, inside/under the controller, or even in the frame.

Then consider you also have a camera(maybe 2), speaker, screen, cellular service, WiFi, Bluetooth, possibly a flash led, and vibration motor to play with.
Use you imagination. Think of all the possibilities!

You would still need the "cell service" for that "old" android phone. AT&T charges me a MINUMUM of $15 a line (that is 180/yr).

The boomerang is $28/yr (first year free), most likely due to it's low use/negotiated contract with Verizon.

agilehumor said:
You would still need the "cell service" for that "old" android phone. AT&T charges me a MINUMUM of $15 a line (that is 180/yr).

The boomerang is $28/yr (first year free), most likely due to it's low use/negotiated contract with Verizon.
Read my comment previous to the last. You can get FREE cellular service. Also, I did not say "old" Android phone. You can buy brand new ones for dirt cheap, or an even better phone if you wait/watch for sales.
I am not trying to knock what you are going after here, but I do intend to make those that do not know aware of the other options.

RageNR said:
I think I will make a thread about it. Lots of info to cover.
Maybe I'll post it tonight. Bare with me...

I cant wait that long, I am full of anticipation.
Here 7-eleven Speak out is $25 for the year. But your text and calls get taken out of that dollar amount.

agilehumor said:

Might be my english is bad but what I read is 28/month for twelve months....

Are people maybe over thinking the fees of sms? If your bike is NOT stolen no sms's will be sent. For me at least most of the time my properties remain my property.

Alright guys, I made a thread: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=81632
That is only part of it. I will finish the rest in the days to come. Maybe some of it tonight. We'll see.

True, perhaps we are over-thinking it all.
Maybe every time the bike is moved then there is a text message sent.
Which would mean you would need to lock it up securely out of the way.
Then you can grab your baseball bat and run to your bike and do some batting practice :lol:

For us Canadians, the best deals I have found for this type of texting for security is...
7-eleven Speakout is $25 for 1 year and $0.15/text. They rent service from Rogers.
Petro-Canada $25 for 4m = $6.25/m $0.10/text. They rent service from Rogers.

But do check out the other link to the free services.

I trust you use proper U-locks on your e-bike markz? Attach the U-lock to something stationary.
If you get to many false positive responses maybe it is possible to adjust the threshold for the sensors?

Yes I use a U-lock from Mountain Equipment CO-OP. But if I were to buy a U-lock now would be the Kryponite Forgetaboutit lock. The price tag is steep but requires an extra minute for the thief to cut with a grinder. Maybe shorter if the thief has fabrication skills. There is endless chatter on this forum about bike security locks.
A quick search can find discussion on this topic. But for GPS I think thats the way of the future. If someone touches my bike, I'd like to know about it. If someone moves my bike, I'd like to know about it. I would even like a 360 dome camera mounted on the stem. But I'd like all this for $0 per month and $25 for the equipment 8) :lol: :twisted:

I think if you were to lock the bike up on the bike rack next to other bikes (like at a school, college or univ), people do move other bikes to make theirs fit.

At $25 and $0.15/text then there is what like 168 text messages that can be used before your money runs out.

Pretty much all locks are pickable. There are only a few (enterprise grade) that are on the verge of impossible to defeat.
I've spent many a hours looking, reading, and watching youtube videos of locksmiths that make it their hobby to defeat every lock in existence.
And you better believe there is an underground scene where good and bad professionals work, hack, and build tools to crack every lock on the planet.
Most of the fancy looking ones are the easiest to bypass. You just can not believe. Have a look around and see just how safe you really are...

Even if the guy/gal that steals your bike is not up to speed on all the latest lock picking techniques, the existence of modern battery powered tools makes the point just about moot.
With the power that today's cordless tools have, it would take someone less than 60sec to be off with your gear. Less than that if they know how to handle their tool well ;D
So I feel that detection/tracking is honestly the best solution. Using a lock also will slow them down a hair (and possibly deter some). But with a tracker, you get to know where your bike is headed, even if it is without you on it.

@markz @ragenr good valid points you are making about security. But none the less I think many bike thefts are born out of opportunity. Few people walk around with lock pics, cordless power tools etc. And even fewer have the skills to break good locks by picking. Other then that I fully agree, if someone is bent to have your ride and have the means to make that a reality your ride will vanish. Sooner or later.

I like the idea of GPS Tracker alarm, and the 360 camera is also good idea. I don't know if it is doable for absolutely zero $ each month. Here in Norway we have several prepaid alternative sim cards, with data plan and 4G. With free calls, free sms and limited data. Typically you get all free and 1 GB of data download for 12-14 $ a month.
You could get a smaller data download package for about half that.

Maybe you can get something like that where you live? That way you know your monthly costs and will not experience any soul crushing bills.

Back