Coaster brake on a low speed setup

Lakebod

10 mW
I am looking to set someone up on a low speed setup with either a Q100h in the front or a Q128. Rider is approx 220lb, will be travelling between 15 to 25 km/hr , mostly flat. Mostly to be used with PAS.

I have a 3spd shimano high with a coaster brake available to me. I was intending to add a front e brake (there a mount for it on the fork for a vbrake).

Is coaster brake a good idea on this setup? Any potential safety issues?

Thanks

As long as it's a sub 20mph bike, and there is a good front brake, I wouldn't worry.

The only real precaution I would take is examining the P clip and bolt that hold the brake arm. If it's flimsy, replace it with a stronger one. And if the nut on the bolt isn't a nyloc, replace it with a nyloc so it can't fall off. Not really something to worry about, though.

Fine to 20 mph. or slightly more.

A coaster brake alone is bad, even at slower speeds. As it heats up it becomes less effective. I had an industrial trike that could only go to about 20mph and with any kind of downhill it was a serious issue (3-speed coaster brake). A front handbrake is critical to a safe riding experience.

I agree with what's been said already. A coaster brake is more than adequate as a rear brake if there is a good front brake as well. Three of my regular bikes have rear coaster brakes, and I find them equally satisfactory to my rim and disc braked bikes.

yes, add a front brake for best results. But 25 kph is only 15 mph or so. Should be easy to stop from 15 mph with just a coaster.

Back