Anyone tried one? Luna Gravity BBS02 Turn Key Ebike

LI-ghtcycle

10 MW
I guess Luna has just recently started selling a couple turn-key Ebikes, and I am curious if anyone living near them has had a chance to try one out?

This is right about the price range and style of E-Bike I have been considering building myself, and this looks to be pretty decent all-round with out the hassle of putting together one like it myself.

gravity__31023.1470358762.1280.1280.jpg

http://lunacycle.com/gravity-ebike-fsx-275LTD-complete-electric-bike/

I haven't tried it yet, but have ordered one.

I went with the upgraded 13.5ah 48 volt shark battery (though I wonder if the 52volt might have a bit extra range). Also added an extra charger too so I won't have to carry the charger around.

I have been researching what kind of rear rack will fit on the back. I commute with a pair of panniers. Since it's full suspension, can't use a normal rack. Looking at the pictures, I don't see any of the holes to mount a rack. The best I came up with so far is either Transit seatpost or the Thule Pack n pedal. The seatpost doesn't seem like it's going to be strong enough. This Streamliner Axiom looks like a strong rack but I can't figure out if there's going to be a way to mount the " caliper/fender bridge mount (for frames without eyelets) " , anyone ever used this rack with full suspension and how did it work out?

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/streamliner/streamliner-disc-dlx/

I could use some advice from someone who mounted a rear rack on a full suspension and made it strong enough to use daily.

Orient Express said:
I haven't tried it yet, but have ordered one. I am planning to use it on my commute which is partially offroad on some levees next to the SF Bay.

I went with the upgraded 13.5ah 48 volt shark battery (though I wonder if the 52volt might have a bit extra range). Also added an extra charger too so I won't have to carry the charger around.

I have been researching what kind of rear rack will fit on the back. I commute with a pair of panniers. Since it's full suspension, can't use a normal rack. Looking at the pictures, I don't see any of the holes to mount a rack. The best I came up with so far is either Transit seatpost or the Thule Pack n pedal. The seatpost doesn't seem like it's going to be strong enough. This Streamliner Axiom looks like a strong rack but I can't figure out if there's going to be a way to mount the " caliper/fender bridge mount (for frames without eyelets) " , anyone ever used this rack with full suspension and how did it work out?

http://www.axiomgear.com/products/racks/streamliner/streamliner-disc-dlx/

I could use some advice from someone who mounted a rear rack on a full suspension and made it strong enough to use daily.

I am envious! :mrgreen:

That looks like a perfect marriage of an affordable E-Bike set-up and bang for the buck FS frame.

I have no experience with a FS bike, but ya, those seat post mounted ones worry me too, had only one once, but it just seems like there should be a better way to mount a rack, especially with paniers.

Axiom makes good stuff, but I would suspect that particular rack wouldn't work well with a FS bike.

The other thought is if you're using a rack attached to the chain stays, it would load up your suspension making it perform poorly.

Maybe a backpack would be more practical with FS?

Kepler said:
I know its $1000 extra, but the Giant with the BBSHD is a far superior bike. If you can stretch your budget, I am sure you wouldn't regret going with the upgrade.

I agree, the "Gravity" bike would be fine for cruising on the road, not for offroad though. The Giant is a nice bike.

Yeah, I wouldn't think the gravity compares to the giant off-road, but just for pure bang for the buck e-bike, and for doing commuting more than trail riding, it would seem a pretty good choice?

I am blessed to live in the land of bike paths on nearly every road and roads that are paved weather they need it or not every few years, but if i lived in the land of moon crater pot-holes, (the major difference between city and county maintained roads in the greater Portland OR area) even for commuting, I really don't need FS, but I know alot of people do for their commutes. :wink:

BBSHD and don't have any regrets! They'll do that for you!

BUT the BBS02 from Luna will be the latest version, recent changes were fairly drastic. Unlike the builds from some other vendors still using previous version 02's.

Kepler said:
I know its $1000 extra, but the Giant with the BBSHD is a far superior bike. If you can stretch your budget, I am sure you wouldn't regret going with the upgrade.
Absolutely! A monster climber!

I almost purchased the bike but found same bike almost 1/2 off on eBay. It was floor model but never ridden. So just ordering bbshd kit from Luna. Will update as I get stuff in.

You can get pannier racks which replace the quick release skewer with their own longer one that holds the pannier on with some spacers, then P clips onto the angled parts of the suspension.

They do one for panniers on front suspension too.

Not sure of the make, but do have some that are on a (normal) bike I gave to my mum.

Good to know on the pannier racks!

While turnkey bikes are a great convenience, they do little to prepare the owner for the eventual problems and the simple fixes learned by building. I'd much rather parrot a known build and know how to approach the problems that will arise. Not to mention the cost of shipping and the fairly common number of shipping tragedies when bikes are shipped individually. In my experience with several online bike orders UPS and other one off shipments get brutalized. I'm sticking with supporting my LBS for the bike purchase and my favorite eBike reseller for the kit and the same "USA battery" builder in China.

I was considering this turn key bike from Luna.. Luna posted that they could sell this turn-key
Ebike for $2300 after criticizing another member here for buying a similar setup from a competitor
For $3200. So I waited for Luna's website to price and list the turnkey Giant for purchase.. they upgraded
The motor to hd and the ebike priced out at $3200 !!! After believing Luna's argument that the bike was priced too high at $3200, I decided to build my own. I purchased a 2016 paratrooper pro for 850 new. I'll spend about 900 more for battery and motor configuration. A new Giant bike can be had for not much more..
I would rather start with a higher quality bike and build it myself. With the thousand dollars saved, a local bike shop can handle any part of the install or upgrades that I can't for much less money leaving me to buy a better platform and options with the money saved.
Right now a full sized folding Ebike that fits in my trunk seems like the way to go... still on the lookout for a full
Suspension mtb for next project.

Just so everyone knows, I bought the giant stance 2 on eBay and was planning to install BBSHD myself. After getting the bike, it requires a 100 mm bafang and not 68 or 73 that normal bikes use. I was surprised since it's not a fat bike. Also, it's press fit bottom bracket and need special adapter for bottom bracket to fill in large space to hold the bafang. There is a build documenting this somewhere. Just a heads up.

Back