Rate My Multi-Layered Ebike Security Plan

Blueshift

100 W
For many years now I have only locked up my bike right where I can see it out the window at a cafe, and if I can't see it and I need to grab a couple things from the store, I run in the store really quick and try to take no more than around 5 minutes.

I have now made my ebike my main form of transportation. The only thing stopping me from using it exclusively is the visits to places that it will be parked longer and thus have a greater chance of being stolen. I'm sure this is something we all struggle with. I decided that I need to tackle this problem as best as I can. I know that nothing will ever be 100 percent effective. With the right tools and ambition, a thief can steal a bike if he really wants it. My goal is to bring my bike security level as close to a car security level as I can.

First Id like to list the advantages and disadvantages of my bike that is separate from the security systems I plan to install.

1. The bike is heavier and longer than a normal bike Id say the typical 160 pound thief would have trouble lifting it into the back of his truck or van. Would take probably two 160 pounders or one stronger guy. (+)

2 I plan to park only where foot traffic is expected. No dark alleys for my bike!. (+)

3. My bike is visually appealing and many have suggested some of the best security is having a bike look like junk as a deterrent. I will give myself a minus (-)

4. My bike is non standard and isn't quite as easy of a sale on the black market (+)

5. I will only lock up at a place I can anchor to that has similar strength as the locks I intend to buy.

Now I will explain all the added security hardware for my ebike.

1. Hardened steal unbreakable with bolt cutters chains and locks. Basically it will take an angle grinder or blow torch (Kryptonite etc.). Enough chains to prevent theft of bike for 5 minutes even by pros.

2. Tilt/shock/proximity sensor two way motorcycle alarm. When someone has tampered with the bike I will get a ring and/or vibration on my 2 way transmitter. The hardened security locks take long enough to penetrate that I will always have time to rush back to my bike. NOTE: others have mentioned the dangers of confronting would be thieves. I have thought about this and I am developing a m.o. for such situations. Firstly, once I have visual confirmation of theft in progress from a safe distance, I call 911. I might take a photo of the suspect with my camera from a safe distance. (you never know if the person has a gun). It would be tempting to tackle the person, but if a thief cheats by stealing, chances are they would cheat in a fair fight i.e. use weapons etc. If the thief flees i might try to see where he is heading from a safe distance, but if the the bike is undamaged then there might not be much sense to pursue.

3. in the event the bike is stolen I will have a gps/cell phone tracking device secured to the bike that cant just be ripped off. It has been mentioned that sometimes you only get accuracy of 500 feet or so. I will also use a short range tracker for this very purpose. I will make sure the short range tracking device and maximum gps position distance overlap so that they work very well with each other. The two way security alarm system might be able to do this already.

Based on the above, how would you rate my security plan 1-7; here is the scoring key. Feel free to use the decimal system if you think it is in between two ratings.

(Assuming within range of security transmitters and following guidelines.)
1. Window Cafe (be able to see it out the window)
2. Beer Run (20min shopping no window)
3. Half a Cart (45min shopping no window)
4. full cart (1hr shopping no window)
5. Movie Theater (no window)
6. Work Commuter (4-8 hours no window)
7. Hotel Parking Overnight

If you have any other ideas for security I would love to hear them.
I have thought of a few things and also have heard of some interesting ideas on the forums.

1. battery unusable (locked switch, remove fuse etc.)
2. Phase motor switch to lock wheel with magnetism
3. non lethal traps (electrify frame, release smoke)
4. man with a baseball bat.

For the past 7 years I have used locking storage trunk bolted to the rear rack and frame. I made sure my bike didn't stand out with wires hanging everywhere. I've used 2 kryptonite U locks. Not once have I have any attempted thefts.

Back