Dd definitely has benefits over mid drive... let me tell you some...flat tire wrote:Wear issues aside I don't see the need for 10kw when you only need to go 45 kph. That's not fast at all. You could have a mid drive do that speed easily and have good acceleration due to gearing, way better weight distribution, huge reduction of unsprung weight...The only reason to get a hub motor in my opinion is if you want to sustain the fast speeds where you need high power to get around the wind resistance. If you only need to hit 45 kph a 1KW mid drive with some mild overclocking is a much better solution.
Also, try full suspension, you will be amazed.
- no gears or clutch to wear on high power
- no bicycle chain or cassette to damage on 10KW acceleration power
- regen to save on brakes
- absolutely silent
- almost maintenance proof. No chain to lube/clean
- no need to bother about changing speed from start to cruising speed....
- easier to repair when damaged...
For all these reasons, I got rid of my bbs02 and don't plan to go mid drive anytime soon.
To my view, mid drive are not evolved enough for ebikes and at 10kw bikes components (chain and cassette) just wear too fast to be convenient.