Specialized Levo Brose motor, popping and clicking

buysellebike

1 µW
Hi all, I'm new to the forum

I have a specialized turbo levo ebike, it has a Brose powerplant. When the assist comes on there is a popping and clicking that accompanies it. I am not sure if the motor itself is making noise or if the drivetrain is in response to the power, either way I'm concerned

I would assume it's under warranty? It doesn't sound healthy

Coming from the motor, in the crank area? Or from the rear wheel. Spokes can talk, and a freewheel can get real noisy when the load on it is heavy, which it always is with mid drives.

It could be the freewheel in the crank, mid drives have one there in addition to the rear freewheel.

Good news: Popping and clicking are not common noises from a DD motor, even when it is about to fry. :wink:

I agree that you should check the adjustment and tension of drive train components, and spokes of course.

If the popping and clicking are happening when you are changing gears, it will go away if you back off of your pedaling earlier and more substantially than you would if the motor is not turned on prior to shifting gears with the rear derailleur. I've been riding a Levo for a few days and it took me a day to recalibrate my shifting habits. The pull of the motor through the chain is mashing the gears otherwise, and it is perfectly described as "popping / clicking."

MadRhino said:
Good news: Popping and clicking are not common noises from a DD motor, even when it is about to fry. :wink:

The Levo has a crank drive unit unlike the DD hub motored Turbo model. But it does have an internal Gates belt in the drive, so if the popping and clicking isn't the gears, that would be my next guess...

Back