Specialized Levo Brose motor, popping and clicking

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
buysellebike   1 µW

1 µW

Specialized Levo Brose motor, popping and clicking

Post by buysellebike » Sep 11 2016 4:02pm

Hi all, I'm new to the forum

I have a specialized turbo levo ebike, it has a Brose powerplant. When the assist comes on there is a popping and clicking that accompanies it. I am not sure if the motor itself is making noise or if the drivetrain is in response to the power, either way I'm concerned

E-geezer   100 W

100 W

Re: Specialized Levo Brose motor, popping and clicking

Post by E-geezer » Sep 12 2016 2:25pm

I would assume it's under warranty? It doesn't sound healthy
The older I get, the faster I was

dogman dan   100 GW

100 GW

Post by dogman dan » Sep 13 2016 10:43am

Coming from the motor, in the crank area? Or from the rear wheel. Spokes can talk, and a freewheel can get real noisy when the load on it is heavy, which it always is with mid drives.

It could be the freewheel in the crank, mid drives have one there in addition to the rear freewheel.

MadRhino   100 GW

100 GW

Post by MadRhino » Sep 13 2016 4:01pm

Good news: Popping and clicking are not common noises from a DD motor, even when it is about to fry. :wink:

I agree that you should check the adjustment and tension of drive train components, and spokes of course.
Make it fool-proof, and I will make a better fool.

silentflight   100 W

100 W

Post by silentflight » Oct 30 2016 4:23am

If the popping and clicking are happening when you are changing gears, it will go away if you back off of your pedaling earlier and more substantially than you would if the motor is not turned on prior to shifting gears with the rear derailleur. I've been riding a Levo for a few days and it took me a day to recalibrate my shifting habits. The pull of the motor through the chain is mashing the gears otherwise, and it is perfectly described as "popping / clicking."

Voltron   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Voltron » Oct 30 2016 9:00am

[quote="MadRhino"]Good news: Popping and clicking are not common noises from a DD motor, even when it is about to fry. :wink:

The Levo has a crank drive unit unlike the DD hub motored Turbo model. But it does have an internal Gates belt in the drive, so if the popping and clicking isn't the gears, that would be my next guess...