150 volt 12 FET 4115 Crystalyte 5403 Kona Stinky

dozentrio

10 kW
Hey guys,

Just finished reassembling my bike with components as described in the title. I'd been riding it on the default (I presume... whatever came with the unpopulated controller board I got) parameters for a eb212 controller, but just now got a hold of a programmer cable. I set battery current to 60 amps and phase current to 180 amps and the increase in power is a little unnerving.

Quick question to anyone who's used 4115 fet controllers-- what is a reasonable limit to set on the battery and phase currents? My controller casing is getting noticeably toasty and I hope to use the controller for a while yet. Is there any way to avoid hitting the hard current cut-off, where I need to reset the throttle before the controller provides power again? Is this a timeout parameter?

I have a feeling the answers to those questions are on the forum somewhere and the purpose of the post wasn't really asking for help, more of a .. 'yay my bike works!' post :D

150v 180A phase, I believe the motor can pull more but the 4115 fets are very close to their limits. If you up the Amps to get rid of the cutoff, I believe the fets will fry.

I feed my 5404 laced in a 26" wheel 100v 280A phase, with an 18 fet 4110 that doesn't get warm unless I am climbing steep repeatedly and it never did hit the cutoff. I suppuse that if you feed a 5403 150v, it must be laced in a small wheel.

Thanks for the input MadRhino,

Actually I am using a 26'' wheel. My goal isn't really for torque and acceleration, but to have a reliable commuter. Although now that it's built I'm feeling the need for more power :D

Another reason I got a 5403 is because it's what was available.

I may build my 24 fet into a 150v controller with 4115 fets. Until then, I suppose I'm reducing the current a bit. Casing is uncomfortably warm to the touch after a top speed test. Even down-hill I could not reach full throttle before the hard cut-off kicked in.

*edit:

I reduced the current to 50a battery 150a phase thinking I was being conservative... then this happened

http://imgur.com/a/0msOR

I exploded a few controllers too. This motor is very power hungry. I use the 5404 on my big dirt bike. For a commuter I find it heavy and inefficient. My controllers are all 18 X 4110, beefed traces and set very high power. I charge 24s RC lipo to 104v.

What was your top speed with a 5403 at 150v ?
In a 26" wheel, I believe it wouln't be much faster than fed 100v with more power. Speed sagging, I mean when your motor does very much slower loaded than unloaded, is a major factor of stress on controller and efficiency loss IMO.

I've been commuting with cromotors on 2 bikes for the last 3 years, just replaced my cromotor V2 with a 11.4 Kv QS 205 H50 V3. It is cheaper and better, making a very fast and efficient commuter.

The fastest I got was 90 kph down a mild hill. Not very impressive. I agree, I think this will work better with 4110 fets. I'm fixing a 24 fet I have, and ordered a 18 fet sinewave controller.

Down the road, I will experiment with TO-247 size fets. Probably a 12 fet version infineon board. I will perhaps machine a heatsink that allows me to stagger the fets mounting so they fit on the board.

Back