This is not directly related to the BBSHD 50amp controller mod BUT it is close relevant and we have to open up the motor anyway. Why not do it together.
Another thing that should be improved is the grey silicone potting. Since it is "in-between" the process. So, I am thinking about getting rid of it from the equation for once and for good. Have not seen anyone mentioned this yet in ES.
As we know, BBSHD (including BBS01+02 ?) need periodical maintenance from greasing with red Mobilgrease 28, especially on that nylon gear as recommended in several webs including Luna. I have done my BBSHD greasing even before the very first connecting it to the battery. That red grease does a good job, mine run smoothly and quietly for at least 1400km - but starting to make noise now. I don't know how long will it keep running smoothly and quietly with my considerably gentle riding. Without that grease, nylon gear has a high risk of being damaged especially if the owner riding style is harsh. Bafang did a poor job by designing their product to require maintenace fairly oftenly, and also putting very little grease on the internal geartrain - as far as I saw from my own BBSHD.
However, to access the needed parts to grease include removing the controller and phase wires (that held in place by grey silicone potting). So, we will need to pick the silicone clearly to get to the nylon gear. If you have done that before, you know exactly how fun picking and repotting that silicone are. Worse than laundry chores when you are exhausted from months-long, past-due big project before. Unless your hobby is to spend time picking silicone potting to discover your true inner self.
I am thinking about moding the silicone potting area, especially on the phase wires, to add another set of plugs (may be that single 6-mm XT-150 or anything that is small enough and can handle the high current suitable for BBSHD) on the armature/stator side, in-between the motor coils AND the metal wall that phase wires need to run through, and repot as usual. We will have 2 sets of plugs (3-wire each), one factory installed and a new set on motor coils side (for not to re-pick/repot silicone again). Following this process, we will have to do the silicone picking & repotting again but for the last time. The next time we open the motor, silicone works is not needed any more - save tons of work and time. No more silicone works. Since we can disconnect the new plugs installed on the phase wires side and the controller piece can be out of the way. Maintenance works can be done as usual. Putting things back together is simply in a reverse order.
I have not done mine yet but should be soon after I finished assembling the new power packs.
Hope I made my point clear enough. Try to draw some picture to illustrate that.
Anyone tried this out, please post pictures for the following others.