Gocycle GS (new model) now on Kickstarter

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gocycle/gocycle-the-best-folding-electric-bike-in-the-worl
5d7b386a3398d561d692a92a3977a321_original.png

Right now?
15 backers
$38,029 pledged of $250,000 goal
33 days to go

... stay tuned.

Gocycle.jpg

(USA + 99.00)

We had the first version.

Nice optical design, technically this ebike was shit. Tires have been very bad, suspension system a pure joke, motor failed very easily, very low power and very noisy, battery was crap, very difficult to lock the bike (finally it was stolen) and so on...

^^ Hehe... So, hopefully learned from past... mistakes. :)
L
25 backers
$54,113 pledged of $250,000 goal
30 days to go

I rode this one around for a bit...
434.jpg
436.jpg

It was really light, and had a red LED bar facing the user that looked just like KITT from the show "Knightrider".. even the factory rep said, yeah I get that a lot....lol.
But watching him unfold and fold it was so painfully slow and complicated..I couldn't imagine doing it every time you wanted to get on a train or a bus as a commuter, esp given its anemic ride quality that none of the cool concept stuff could hide.

^^ Hehe... Might wonder if "factory rep" hired for show, or? (How used to the vehicle he/she actually was?)

Another opinion:
http://www.fullycharged.com/newsandreviews/gocycle-gs-affordable-gocycle-ebike/

Stuff like:
Gocycle built on every piece of experience gained with the G2 and tightened up what was already a very sturdy folding electric bike.

A huge effort was made to improve the internal stem and steering pivots of the bike to create a much more rigid riding experience while improving the folding mechanism.

Since the first bikes arrived we have done thousands of test rides and the bike continues to grow and gain recognition for all its great design, performance and practicality.

Fully Charged like to consider ourselves to be the most qualified Premium reseller of what is quickly being established as the best urban electric folding bike.

So. Not EXACTLY an "independent, 3rd party" review... :)

He knew what he was up to it seemed like. But its the process.. you have to have enough clear floor space to lay out the bag, you have to remove both wheels making sure you don't bump the bike and knock it off the kickstand, disconnect the shock, flip everything around, place it all carefully in the bag with all the padding in just the right spot... hard to imagine doing it at a busy train station, esp with dirty muddy winter commuting wheels to deal with and get shoved into the bag. It might be doable if you have a private plane where light weight is a priority and you don't get the bike dirty much.

Understand. Note too, sailors like foldies. (Limited space aboard.) AND "light weight".

BTW
30 backers
$65,156 pledged of $250,000 goal
29 days to go

:)

"Electric Bike Report" excited. On FacePlant thingee site: "The new Gocycle GS is 35 pounds, that is light for an electric bike!"

34 backers
$70,650 pledged of $250,000 goal
29 days to go

It's slick looking. I think the folding ebike concept is a great puzzle, tough to pull off.

^^ Yup. More urban dwellers might be desperate for a (cheaper) option to replace the 20th-century Stinko-Mobile (tm).
(Large, heavy, expensive vehicle that travels with operator plus 3+ empty seats plus tons of (empty) cargo space and designed to go much faster than most urban speed limits while smelling their neighboors stinky butts.)

Climbing up the charts...
76 backers
$167,319 pledged of $250,000 goal
22 days to go

They're really excellent bikes. I've ridden both the G2 and the G3. They're very light and an absolute hoot to ride. At full power, they do about 25 mph and they have pretty good power for hill-climbing. The design work is exquisite: the way the stand folds away, the way the wheels come off and the handlebar controls. The G3 is over £3000 pound in the UK, and I think I heard over $4000 in USA. If it were a bit cheaper, I'd buy one, so I'm hoping for the cheaper one to find its way to UK.

Hehe... Well hopefully if they can "flood the market" with these, the used/2nd-hand market will "mature". :) Seems like the car industry "This Years Model!" Have an uncle that bought/"traded up to" every new model/year of Chevrolet Stingray models of "car". :) Think "Sondors" cheapo ebike... where much of the online tapping is about "upgrades". ;)

81 backers
$182,659 pledged of $250,000 goal
21 days to go

That's 8 years of development. It should be pretty well sorted by now. I think there were a few issues with the G1, but I didn't hear anything about the G2 except that the battery capacity was a bit low, which has been fixed on the G3.

If they would have a solid product in its 3rd generation they wouldn't need to start a kickstarter campaign.

You only do this if you have no chance to get your money on the real market.

To ne it looks like the same shit as the 1st gen in a different color.

Frame, "suspension", wheels, motor, everything at least looks as bad as 1st gen.

I spoke to a guy at Sandgate QLD recently that had one of these. I think it was a G2. He loved it but said the handlebar 'dash' was a bit flimsy and was currently held on with sticky tape. Quite pricey though, I think he paid around $5000 aud for it.

Cephalotus said:
If they would have a solid product in its 3rd generation they wouldn't need to start a kickstarter campaign.

As I understand this "crowdfunding" process, ya have prepaid payment deposits "up front" such that (near immediate) sales of complete/delivered product are largely guaranteed? So about zero underestimating/overestimating market size for any one manufacturing run.

One problem with the "real market"? Consumers are capricious, with todays "promises" affected by tomorrows changes in available funds and "the next best thing" popping up near every day to compete for folks wallets.

Might also guess that years of experience/models have produced components that "look" the same but may have slightly different ("improved") dimensions/specifications. Analogous to car model years...

So far, at a Giggle Search for "gocycle for sale used -new"... "About 2,950 results (0.39 seconds)"... So I expect there are actually many fewer used/old/earlier versions of their Gocycle that folks have decided to sell. Possibly `cause they are satisfied with its "bad"/1st or 2nd gen version...

Cephalotus said:

You only do this if you have no chance to get your money on the real market.

To ne it looks like the same shit as the 1st gen in a different color.

Frame, "suspension", wheels, motor, everything at least looks as bad as 1st gen.

You're right. They look the same, but thy're not the same. That's why they're called G1, G2, G3 and now GS. The motor on the G1 had some problems, but has been OK since G2. I never head of problems with the frame, wheels or suspension. Why do you think that they're bad?

Back