I need a pedelec because the police are going crazy

kazbluesky

10 W
Hello everyone, I need to get myself a pedelec to be legal (a little device that goes on the bike which cuts off the motor if you are not pedaling). Very sadly a granny was killed by an illegal Chinese electric motorbike and now the police are going on a bit of a crusade here in Japan. I used to see them all the time on ebay and online but ive been looking for days and cant find one anywhere.

New they are only about 12 dollars so if you have one chucked in a drawer that you are not going to use, I'll buy it off you for what you paid for it plus postage.

I love riding my ebike but it's just a bit too risky to ride illegally here in Japan - especially if you are a foreigner (the police hold you 23 days in Jail before they let you contact a lawyer !!!! - sick but true.....happened to 2 friends of mine - but that's another story)

So I need one of these little beauties to make me legal.

Hope you can help because I'm back using my car and I dont like that one bit..........

That's 23 days in jail before they allow you a lawyer and while they interrogate/torture you while deciding whether to prosecute you. If they prosecute you they have a 99.1% conviction rate (100% for us foreigners) then they put you in prison for a year or 2 and then deport you. Welcome to Japan :x

So, pedelec anyone?

Maybe I don't know how PAS is usually implemented but you seemed to be tapping about a very cheap add-on solution? Just that I'd never heard of something like this... something like this?:

http://buy.ecplaza.net/tradeleads/jcebike001.html

They say their brushless controller is "Small and exquisite",
SIZE: 84x55x25mm
Low limiting electricity, 36V---8~9A; 24V---12~14A
Using the method of voltage and current dual control, so it can save more battery, smoother, lower noise
Adopting SANYO CMOS chip, much more stable performance
Controller.jpg

Then ya have to "Install as the normal chain wheel crank" their sensor:
I. INTRODUCTION
Electric bicycle torque intelligent sensor (known as PAS\ torque sensor\1:1 power-assisted). It is a high-tech component designed for electric bicycle with ergonomics. It has superiority to match well with all electric bicycles available in the market. It employs the dual-magnetic loop - Hall elastic angle difference to detect the dynamic torque, which is converted to DC signal and sent to the controller.
II. FUNCTIONS AND ADVANTAGES
1. High universality: Applicable to brush / brushless, high / low speed controller - electrical system, 24V/36V power system; apply to ordinary bicycle D-type models.
2. Facility to install: Install as the normal chain wheel crank in every size.
3. Assistant power adjusting function: It has five assistant power level and the battery will be displayed on a dashboard.
4. Riding on comfortably: Large linear torque range with great stability and you will feel more soft when the gear changes.
5. Prolong battery life-span: Half of the output power can avoid the damage of the high-power output bring on the battery. Also the product can reduce the power automatically when the speed is increasing. At the same time, the mileage can be increased twice or more.
6. Good security: Good operation security sensor can control the speed very well and the electric power can be turned off in 1s after the pedal stopped.
7. Well acclimatization: it has excellent anti-jamming ability that can work as normal in dirty water.
8. Speed limitation: The vehicle can set a maximum speed transmission ratio (such as: 25 km / h power cut)
9. Our controller use the method of voltage and current dual control, so it can save more battery, smoother, lower noise, lessen vol., dormancy function. It is your ideal choice. (Size: 84x55x25mm)
Sensor.jpg

and then ya have your Power Adjust
PowerAdjust.jpg

someone was killed with an electric bike? WTF. THat's like banning chicken after someone had a stroke.

It's Japan. Blaming the group for a bad act by an individual is a cultural norm there. It would be unthinkable for them not to.

The reason for the 100% conviction rate is that once you get arrested in Japan, you are screwed ... people assume you are a criminal, you can no longer get a good job, etc., etc., etc., so most just confess anyway. The police in Japan are loath to arrest folks ... but if you are Gaijin, they have a lot less empathy. You can always leave, as far as they are concerned.

If a pedelec controller is needed, you need to just get one.

I agree with everything you said, I've talked to Danny at Ampedbikes and he's ordering 1 specially for me from China in his next shipment. So it looks like I'll soon be sorted (fingers crossed).

Where are you located in Japan? I made an ebike also and want to avoid trouble. I have permanent residency status but am still a foreigner nevertheless.

Fortunately the kit I'm using came with the pedelec (pedal assist system) but I also attached a thumb throttle as well (the pedelec only gives me half power until the bike is going faster than 10km/h-the throttle gives full power).

I also am using a 36v battery instead of the 24v kind. Are the police cracking down on stuff like that as well?

I want to make some kind of hidden "speed limiter" switch to reduce the bike power when I'm around the station or other crowded areas. 36v is great for most roads but it's too much power around the station areas. (Those of you who have never been to Japan: imagine trying to ride your bike inside a supermarket on the busiest day of the year. That's what Japanese streets are like near the stations.)

I've been to Japan. I was in Tokyo. Actually, in Tokyo, you really don't even need a bike. I could walk to most places. It's more compact than the USA. Here, even though I live in the city, I still have to walk 2 miles to the nearest supermarket. In Tokyo, the supermarket is about probably 1/2 mile away from most people. And there are subway stations everywhere.

I liked Tokyo but the family I was staying with was kind of unforgiving of my american ways. I was kind of glad to get out of there to be honest. I thought they might kill me for being american.

I live in Seisekisakuragaoka, not far from Fuchu, on the Keio Line. If you live in or around Tokyo we should meet up for a beer!

I never did a Japanese homestay. Unless you stayed with a multimultimillionaire I bet the place was tiny, with walls so thin, that you went to the local McDonalds when you needed to go to the toilet.

I'm counting the days till I emigrate to NZ. (1089 Days to go)

Actually the authorities are starting to talk drugs up a lot recently (not much of a problem here in Japan actually, actually not a problem at all as far as I can see and I see thousands of new teenagers every year at University here). Up until a couple of years ago you were allowed to buy and sell magic mushrooms from shops!!!

On the plus side they do come up with some cool gadgets, I was watching TV the other day and Panasonic has come out with a new electric bike that goes 1.8 times as far when you switch the Regen on - not a measly 10 or 20% but 1.8 times as far!!!!

...Only problem with the production model Japanese ebikes is they are typically limited to 24v and usually less than 4 or 5A. That's the main reason I decided to build my own ebike. At 24v, I can pedal faster than the motor can go and end up trying to travel at speeds where the motor is basically spinning freely, resulting in carrying around all that motor and battery weight for nothing.
36v seems a good balance for Japanese roads. 24v is too fast for the sidewalk but too slow for the road. 36v is fast enough to ride on the road. I tried running my ebike at 48v also - it was sure nice... ...but probably a little too dangerous unless you live out in the countryside.

can't you just switch your controller to pedal first? or does a cycleanalyst have this function?

monster said:
can't you just switch your controller to pedal first? or does a cycleanalyst have this function?
He can't because he didn't have the pedal sensor. In Japan, the pedals have to be moving whenever the bike is moving.

nutsandvolts said:
This is such a sad story to read about. If someone in a car, who isn't paying attention, like typing text messages on a phone or whatever, runs into and kills someone on a bicycle, in most cases, nothing happens! Yet due to this lack of a sensor that makes it so you have to pedal, they're locking people up? What is happening to this world?

It's just Japan. The nail that sticks up will be hammered down and made to conform.

E-bikes are unusual, so ...

nutsandvolts said:
I have been to Japan many times (I think 8 times) and I had no idea it was like that. All I can say is wow.
The idea of having to conform disturbs me. Trying to make me conform to anything is like herding cats.

People were cutting you slack as a gaijin ... they will do that, to a point. Talk to a long term resident. If you aren't part of the group ( and there are all sorts of groups ), you are nothing. If you want to be part of the group, you have to conform. A foriegner gets cut some slack, the same way a kid would ... but that slack has limits.

Being unusual gets you attention.

Cops, when you get their attention, think "Is he breaking a law or causing trouble?"

It's their job to do that.

nutsandvolts said:
I thought their job was to um ... protect people.

Nope ... that's just so 19th Century ... Seriously, they can't protect you. They can only, at best, arrest the guilty afterwards.

I'm going to drop out of this one, as it is starting to veer out of e-bike territory fast.

nutsandvolts said:
I have been to Japan many times (I think 8 times) and I had no idea it was like that. All I can say is wow. The idea of having to conform disturbs me. Trying to make me conform to anything is like trying to herd cats. In Tokyo, the hotel staff was confused and seemingly upset with me for carrying my own bags. I suppose I understand that it's because bosses expect him to carry my bags. I used to travel a lot, and one thing you learn is to always have your stuff with you, so I don't let people take my bags, and I don't need anyone to carry my stuff. But the guy just couldn't understand why I wanted to carry my own bags. Then I confused the poor hotel guy even more by not only offering a tip, but not allowing him to say no. They don't accept tips in Japan. Well, this guy had no choice :mrgreen:

I always try to carry my own bags because I don't want to have to tip someone to do something I am perfectly capable of doing myself. This is not required in Japan because tips are never required.
The bellhops in American hotels get refused all the time by people like me. They're used to it. There is no economical reason in Japan to refuse having your bag carried. So they can't figure you out!

Everyone will be more happy if you let them carry your bags for you, no obligation.
When in Rome... :)

Back on topic - 100% conformance may not be mandatory, but Japan requires a degree of conformance at the very least. You have to at least be showing an effort to conform. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out ways to make my ebike look as stealthy as possible... I stick out enough as it is just by being a foreigner. I do this not so much out of concern for police as a service to those around me (to avoid causing more confusion and bewilderment than necessary).

In fact, I can go days without seeing a single police car in Japan. They generally drive around with their siren lights on but not pulling anyone over. (The idea is to remind people to "drive safely" by virtue of their presence. Very subtle, Japanesque technique. It works great for most people except for those fringes of society who have no respect for authority.)

Back