The Nexo tire (currently on Kickstarter)

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Wow not only do those tires seem pretty cool, but the prices are cheap! Im going to back them just to get a complete wheel set! You can get a complete wheel set for $100 with these tires!

Hillhater said:
Oh wow ! ....solid tyres, that a new idea ???? :roll:

No they actually do not make them. It is an urban myth

This whole kickstart campaign was a big sarcastic joke just like your reply@!

I'd like to see a review of the top three solid tires. I do not believe that any solid tire can perform as good as a basic pneumatic tire, but...I also think there are a few places where their benefits might outweigh the drawbacks. If full-suspension, I "think" that would soften any "feel" issues with the solid tire.

Solid tires are known to be impossible to balance "enough" that they run smooth at high RPMs, so that leaves out a high speed hot rod street ebike. If we limit ourselves to low speed, then the place where they should advertise (IMHO) is off-road ebikes with a rear hubmotor. Rear hubs are hanging on for certain demographics (Australia, etc), and with the weight hanging out at the rear of the bike, I believe they work best with a full suspension frame, since hardtails with a heavy rear hub often have spoke breakage problems.

Front tires rarely have a problem with flats (it can happen, but rear tires are the worst offenders, especially with a heavy rear hub). A full-suspension mid drive is a configuration where I would suspect will not need a solid rear tire badly enough for it to be a popular option, but...

Rear tire, heavy rear hub, low speed, full suspension off-road...in this case, I would not hesitate to risk the price of trying out this solid tire.

spinningmagnets said:
I do not believe that any solid tire can perform as good as a basic pneumatic tire...If full-suspension, I "think" that would soften any "feel" issues with the solid tire.

In addition to the balance issues you mention above, I gather from what has been said in other related threads that the assault on your bike's wheel hardware is another concern. So even if the full suspension prevents you from feeling the pain, it might end up cracking your rims, destroying spokes, etc. prematurely. Pneumatic tires are just so dang effective at evening out all the bumps and pokes and such.

Foam and solid rubber tires have been around for ages-- they predate pneumatic tires. They also ride like crap and beat your wheels to pieces. Oh, and they're slow. Hooray.

If they were better than pneumatic tires, why would we even bother with pneumatics? What do y'all think you understand about tires that countless very clever people didn't manage to figure out in the last 128 years?

Its not horrible to carry a new tube and the swapping tools, but if someone liked to ride far distances off road, a long walk back is very unpleasant. I'm not talking about a fast downhill run, mostly a slow crawler over scenic terrain.

I'd recommend that an off roader of any type should go mid mount for the motor, instead of a hub. But if you do have a hub, and you go off-road? it wouldnt hurt to try.

I do NOT have a lot of confidence that this new tire will be some sort of new miracle, but the elastomer compounds available today have characteristics that help them perform better than the elastomers of yesteryear. For certain user-profiles, I'd try it once. It may be a waste of $60, but I've wasted way more than that just to answer a question that had my curiosity...

^^ Hehe... Seems lots of folks are curious...
177 backers
$27,126 pledged of $24,597 goal
23 days to go

I like how people jump on the train to bash solid tires...Hah

Not once did anyone mention the fact that solid tires are in any way shape or form better that a tire filled with air.

I simply stated that this is a pretty good price for a pretty interesting product! And this wheelset is going to be built to the spec of their tires.. So for all we know they may roll pretty darn good. Only time will tell

Now proceed with the useless debate!!

Hillhater said:
?????.. Oh !.. For a moment there,.. i thought you were going to tell us how solid tyres are better than pneumatics ?
... but that is obvious
... they do not require an atmosphere
... prefered tyres for all interstellar travel :D

I have one non electric bike, it is a 700c fixie sort of thing but converted to 7speed. I only get to get out and ride it about once every week. Im not huge but have my comfortable office gut going, everytime i want to go out i have to pump the damn tires up. Its not like i got out to break the sound barrier... i go out for exercise and fun. For this simple fact of being able to grab and go with a bike and not having to worry how solid the tires are. Makes it genius to me.

I then thought oh but they will be heavy as all hell and my once light bike will be a heavy huffy. But they arent all that heavy, seems awesome!

LewTwo said:
... prefered tyres for all interstellar travel :D

For interstellar travel we might want to look into flexible aerogels, but for a return trip to Moon or first human visit to Mars, these tires might be the ticket.

NASA prototyped and tested e-bike for lunar excursion:
...NASA did briefly consider sending its astronauts to the Moon with bicycles, electric mini-bikes to be exact. Information on these one-man vehicles is scarce, but a prototype was under development in 1969 for use on Apollo 15. It was a backup method in case the Lunar Roving Vehicle, the LRV colloquially known as the Moon Buggy, wasn’t ready in time for the mission’s launch. There was some talk about the mini bikes incorporated into later Apollo missions as well. But the LRV was ready and made its lunar debut carrying Dave Scott and Jim Irwin around the Hadley-Apennine region in 1971 and the last Apollo missions were cancelled. The closest the mini-bike ever got to space was prototype tests in a 1/6th gravity environment in 1969 in NASA’s Vomit Comet.
NASA Bike.JPG

Joking aside, Chalo is right that solid tires have a long and unsatisfactory history. They called early bikes "boneshakers" for a reason. But SpinningMagnets makes a really good point: the elastomer compounds available today have characteristics that help them perform better than the elastomers of yesteryear. For certain user-profiles, I'd try it once. Materials science has come a long way, and for certain applications here on Earth these tires could be useful.

Thank you for that link!

Very few things make me happier or more optimistic than the idea of a human cycling off-world. Won't be me, I'm happy just to ride to the store, but let's hope it is somebody.

"Everytime I see an adult on a bicycle I no longer despair for the future of the human race." -- H.G. Wells

Without testing them, I couldn't say if these are sufficiently better, but they seem to have come up with some solutions to serious problems I had with non-pneumatic tires, such as having them roll off the rim under side-loading.

Hopefully some variation of them also helps enough with the vibration and bump absorption...otherwise, I'd rather use moped/mc tires on a bike than non-pneumatics, as so far the Shinkos used on the cargo end of SB Cruiser have turned out to prevent flats and even give a cushier ride for the dogs and heavy cargo than the bicycle tires I've been able to try.

From the FAQ on that page:

Can you use these on mountain bikes?
The tires were designed for road use. So if you are on a cruiser, road bike, commuter, hybrid then both Ever Tires and Nexo Tires could work for you. However, we suggest that you don't use these for mountain riding because there isn't as much cushion as your mountain tires.

Do you ship outside the US?
We'd love to be able to ship outside the US. However, with shipping costs as high as they are we're not able to at this time. Thanks for your patience and if you have any suggestion on making this more economical please feel free to contact us.

How do the tires feel compared to normal air tires?
The Nexo tires feel very similar, the polymers we use have been engineered to give them a feel very comparable to standard road tires. We have had road cyclists do century rides (100 mile bike rides) on the Nexo tires and they say they can hardly tell a difference. The Ever Tires are more stiff than an regular tire but more cushioned than other solid tires.

How do these bike tires compare to solid rubber tires that have been around forever?
Both Nexo and Ever tires are very different than solid rubber tires. First off the materials we use are a silicone plastic based polymer and not a rubber. This makes them easier to engineer to get the feel and ride quality we want. It also makes them easier to produce and recycle. Second because of the design they are significantly lighter than solid rubber tires. The weight of one of our tires is comparable to a heavy duty rubber tire with liners and a tube. In fact we have seen where our tires are lighter than some heavy duty road tires with liners.

Guess they have excluded Australia and are only for roadies... nevermind. My roadie always requires air because its ridden infrequently and these sound like they could workout. Additional benefit of no punctures when riding through the nightlife districts from glass... yep.

I just want to say that it has been over 5 months and I still have not received my set of nexo wheels.

They said around feb they were supposed to be done if I recall...So far not so good. Lets hope they didn't forget about my order.

This is just like the kuberg bike I had ordered but cancelled due to way to long of a wait.

While you're waiting, you can get a spare pair of wheels, because these tires will smash and personalize whatever wheels you mount them on. "Personalize" as in form into a one-of-a-kind non-circular shape.

Back