UrbanX Smart Electric Wheel

LockH

1 PW
Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then sta
Wow. ES Bible Search "No suitable matches were found."? For "UrbanX"?

Youtube user "UrbanX Wheel" just uploaded this:
[youtube]DDdf32It8NU[/youtube]

... w/description:
Published on Dec 20, 2016

Electrify your bike in 1 minute! The all-in-one solution for converting your traditional bicycle into an electric or pedal-assist bike. No skills required, no tools needed, anyone can do it in just 1 minute. A Smarter way of riding your bicycle.

^^Yah. Watt he said. My vote is for urban 21st-century (short, smooth, "slow" pavements etc) distances between plugs. (Re energy consumption.) So, "small" , "light weight", etc. :)

IGG_Logo_Frame_GOgenta_RGB-2-acdbed8c9b7f24c740e03f2e3fd13f60750a6ccb3817414df4f00a90d518d960.png

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/urbanext-convert-any-bike-to-electric-in-60s#/

Right now:
$635,808 USD total funds raised
1269% funded on June 16, 2017

The "UrbanX" now billed as the UrbaNext...

LockH said:
The "UrbanX" now billed as the UrbaNext...

I do kinda like the "innovative removable battery in the wheel" idea. Tho every time you park in public you have lock that battery or carry it around.

Torque arm option ... 0 out of 500 claimed ...
Too bad they didn't built it in. None of material shows the optional arm installed. The video just shows the guy finger tightening a QR.
In advance of our June 2017 shipping date (just in time for summer!), we'll send a survey asking for your bike’s brake type and wheel size, ensuring you'll get the right size...it's that easy.
"60 second conversion", by a mechanic, much less joe average, on "any size or type of bike" doesn't seem feasible with any technology, even with the 6 different different models. Hub width, axle size, rim width, disc diameter & alignment ... no mention of brake re-adjustment. Hopefully most of their customers give up trying to install and take it to a good bike mechanic who does a solid install and adds a torque arm.

From their Kickstarter FAQ;
Can I switch back to my original wheel?
Absolutely. You can alternate your old wheel and UrbanX Smart Wheel any time you wish. It’s like having two bikes, one electric and one normal.
I can't see it being so easy but I guess few people would switch back anyway, at least until the charger dies.

Hey look another company bought a bunch of all in one kits of ali express slapped their logo on it and is selling it as cutting edge tech they made.

It seems like a less developed version of the Copenhagen Wheel. The one (only one) of those I've seen in my shop impressed me with its thoughtful design and simple installation. The fact that it uses pedal torque as a throttle signal means no wires whatsoever to install. Its integrated torque arm should serve as a model for all the hokey Chinese hub manufacturers to copy.

Anyway, this version of the same idea has most of the same operational virtues. And for what most people are realistically willing to do with a bicycle, it's more than adequate.

does anyone have advice for dealing with UrbanX? They sent me the wrong size wheel and now expect me to purchase another instead of replacing the one they sent. Furious! Why is there no phone number to reach them? I'm corresponding all through email with them which makes it very easy for them to keep denying my request, without fair explanation.

Back