Recommend me my first Conversion Kit

hapc

1 mW
Hello guys, the thing is this, I'm finally getting tired of my motorcycle (I barely use it since I work from home and I only get out of the house to pay bills and to play soccer, and they pick me up anyway), so I've been thinking on getting a good bycicle + a ebike conversion kit.

I'm asking you for a conversion kit suitable for my needs.

Basically I need the kit to last 15-20 miles with little to no peddaling, flat terrain. (if it's more, the better)

Speed?, IRRELEVANT, if it moves at 5 km/hr - 3 mph or at 40 km.hr , my real PRIORITY is the duration of the battery, I don't mind enjoying the ride as long as I don't pedal!

Budget? I guess I could go as expensive as 700 USD, the cheaper, the better.

Where to buy?, I live in Mexico but I usually buy stuff online (Ebay) or China, or any other website that offers what I need, so wherever!

Could you recommend me something?

Thanks!

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302
Not sure what your options are in Mexico, but a 444wh battery pack will get you 20 miles at 20 mph.

wesnewell said:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=66302
Not sure what your options are in Mexico, but a 444wh battery pack will get you 20 miles at 20 mph.

444wh?, you mean watts?, by the way, I'm looking in the US or China, I don't really buy online stuff here in Mexico anyway.

Hi! Kwh, Wh, and Ah are all basic equations for energy over time. H stands for hour.
400wh =
400w x 1hr
100w x 4hr
1w x 400hr and so on. We use this because it takes the common pack ratings of 'AH' AND pack voltage into account for calculating how much energy is in there.

That said, Lipo simply isn't for the inexperienced. You still need some basic education to be safe regardless of choice, but standard bms'd ebike purposed batteries are a bit safer and more 'user' friendly. I'd recommend not getting more battery than about 120-140% of what you plan to need for a round trip. Batteries are still heavy, expensive, and often a pita, so only get '20 miles' of battery in the case you actually need it.
To keep it very very simple, you can plan on about 1mile per battery amp hour (ah) in our commonly used ebike voltage packs. For my 'commute' bike, I use a 50$ bms'd echo tool battery that I can get 4 miles out of w/o pedalling.

I'd recommend getting a 48v 1000w front or rear kit. I couldn't believe the level of quality I got in a complete system for ~225$. It goes like 28mph and has plenty of oomph on the flat. They're often known as the 'yescom' variant on ebay/amazon.
Consider the 36v hub if you don't want that much speed, because you can save money on the battery.

Someone else can recommend a battery. I was going to buy one from hallomotor on ebay but ended up with a bunch of lipo and a 48v echo tool battery pack. Imo get a purposed ebike battery from those with good reviews and that stand behind their product.

I'm finally getting tired of my motorcycle (I barely use it since I work from home and I only get out of the house to pay bills and to play soccer, and they pick me up anyway), so I've been thinking on getting a good bycicle + a ebike conversion kit.
Are you serious this time? About a year ago you asked basic battery questions, but never came back to at least say thank you.
I built an Ebike when I lived in Matzatlan. The shipping from BMS Battery was fast and didn't cost any more than to the States;
https://bmsbattery.com/71-48v-li-ion
If you order the least expensive conversion kit and battery from them, you might be able to get by with a budget of $700(not counting the bike).
Where are you at in Mexico(profile please)? My experience of living in Latin Amer. for 15 years is a scooter/motorcycle is safer/more practical than an Ebike. The drivers are too aggressive and the roads are crap.

nutspecial said:
Hi! Kwh, Wh, and Ah are all basic equations for energy over time. H stands for hour.
400wh =
400w x 1hr
100w x 4hr
1w x 400hr and so on. We use this because it takes the common pack ratings of 'AH' AND pack voltage into account for calculating how much energy is in there.

That said, Lipo simply isn't for the inexperienced. You still need some basic education to be safe regardless of choice, but standard bms'd ebike purposed batteries are a bit safer and more 'user' friendly. I'd recommend not getting more battery than about 120-140% of what you plan to need for a round trip. Batteries are still heavy, expensive, and often a pita, so only get '20 miles' of battery in the case you actually need it.
To keep it very very simple, you can plan on about 1mile per battery amp hour (ah) in our commonly used ebike voltage packs. For my 'commute' bike, I use a 50$ bms'd echo tool battery that I can get 4 miles out of w/o pedalling.

I'd recommend getting a 48v 1000w front or rear kit. I couldn't believe the level of quality I got in a complete system for ~225$. It goes like 28mph and has plenty of oomph on the flat. They're often known as the 'yescom' variant on ebay/amazon.
Consider the 36v hub if you don't want that much speed, because you can save money on the battery.

Someone else can recommend a battery. I was going to buy one from hallomotor on ebay but ended up with a bunch of lipo and a 48v echo tool battery pack. Imo get a purposed ebike battery from those with good reviews and that stand behind their product.

Oh nice, sure a 48v 1000w kit would work!!

motomech said:
I'm finally getting tired of my motorcycle (I barely use it since I work from home and I only get out of the house to pay bills and to play soccer, and they pick me up anyway), so I've been thinking on getting a good bycicle + a ebike conversion kit.
Are you serious this time? About a year ago you asked basic battery questions, but never came back to at least say thank you.
I built an Ebike when I lived in Matzatlan. The shipping from BMS Battery was fast and didn't cost any more than to the States;
https://bmsbattery.com/71-48v-li-ion
If you order the least expensive conversion kit and battery from them, you might be able to get by with a budget of $700(not counting the bike).
Where are you at in Mexico(profile please)? My experience of living in Latin Amer. for 15 years is a scooter/motorcycle is safer/more practical than an Ebike. The drivers are too aggressive and the roads are crap.

Hehe yes I'm serious, the motorcycle leaves tomorrow, my last post was more to research actually, since I don't know anything kits, let alone a DIY, anyway. I live in Mexicali, just below the border so that's why I always buy stuff on Ebay and go to the US, yeah, the streets aren't that good, but for my commute they are ideal.

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANKS

If you can pick stuff up in the US, then order from a US supplier. Wow, prices are really down. Buy smart and you can do it for under $500, including bike, motor kit, and battery.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=48v1000w%20rear&LH_PrefLoc=1&rt=nc&LH_FS=1

+1 on above; my YES (or FnF, accesseries) kit is still superb after more than a year of use. Can't believe it's almost $100 cheaper than when I bought it. 32 mph and climbing (I shut it down at that point) with a 52V battery.

2old said:
+1 on above; my YES (or FnF, accesseries) kit is still superb after more than a year of use. Can't believe it's almost $100 cheaper than when I bought it. 32 mph and climbing (I shut it down at that point) with a 52V battery.

Nice!, may I ask, how often do you use your bike, distance, all of that?

And, does a 52V battery works for a 48V 1000W kit?

I know this isn't my thread but I've similar needs here. Might start my own thread, since some guys are also wondering about a battery with this kit thought I'd ask and refine the question a bit.

Any advice on battery? Last I checked Ping made some quality stuff out of China and had a huge variety of voltages and amp hours. Not sure what's the good stuff these days, but I kinda want to stay away from dodgy stuff like BMS or scary stuff like HK RC LiPo packs. Something safe and plug and play would be ideal, but willing to learn. I know nothing is truly "safe", but something reliable would be nice.

I mostly read and gather info, I've done research off an on over the years, and have had some helpful advice by TeslaNV and others and the "dog" poster (forgot name, sorry!). You guys are awesome.

Well, I've been using rc lipo for ~6 years and never had a problem. Personally, I wouldn't use anything else. I even took some of my 4+ year old lipo and replaced the SLA batteries in my ups's with it. Typically, a 12s pack works well with 48V kits.

Haha, well aware of your preference Wes-I will definitely consider the possibility when/if I become proficient in building and maintaining an ebike. I'm a total noob here and would prefer to control as many variables as possible.

hapc said:
2old said:

Nice!, may I ask, how often do you use your bike, distance, all of that?

And, does a 52V battery works for a 48V 1000W kit?

I'm not the best person to ask since I've used the YES bike for errands only once every week or so for two years. However there are individuals with 10,000+ miles on them. The stock controller can support 62 volts (14s, "52 V" is 58.4V hot off the charger). Had the bike up to 32 mph on a flat road probably near the top of it's range, but shut it down at that point. Have had good success with my Luna 52V, 10 a/h battery.

My first build I used a 36v 20ah li-po4 ping battery and it lasted 5 years one or two charges a day every day and I got my first conversion kit from http://www.cohismotors.com ( he sells full kits and e-bikes too ) I upgrated last year to a 48v 20ah li-po4 A123 systems battery and got the controller from him 1200watt my bike did do 25mph but now does 45mph hope this helps :D

ps the range is about 25-30 miles on full throttle

Your speedometer must be set to km. You aren't going to get even 20 miles going 45 mph with a 1Kw battery. I think you meant 25-30 km at 45 kph. Now that's reasonable.

No it's like I said 20 miles at 45mph I live I England so only do mph and miles the bms is 70 amp with a 160 amp burst and A123 systems 16s 1p 20ah prismatic cells and 70 amp controller

I don't know what you are getting your readings from, but they are wrong. No way you can get that out of any hub motor, with any controller. If you're using a CA, you have it programmed wrong. If you're using a cycle computer, you have the wrong wheel circumference programmed in. None of the motors listed in the simulator will do more than 36 mph wot and will only go ~15 miles at that speed with a 52V 20ah battery pack using 58wh per mile. Now if it's a recumbent or tadpole trike, that would be more doable. But never on a regular bike.

I used a car to run along side me and it was about 12 miles to work but I have a different job now if you don't believe me then sorry that is not my problem i can only say what I now

No one here will believe the impossible, unless they are really gullible.

bbs01 250watt mid drive witha 36v 14.6 amp hour should get you an average of 25 kph and a range of 40km+ if your not pedaling at all.

Back