magura mt5e higo bbs02

barnaby81

1 mW
I've had my etrike nearly a year now and have been managing with hydraulic non ebrakes and the bafang hydraulic break sensor cable tied to the breaks. this has not been hard but in winter with large gloves this has been hard. i have also wanted to stop better.

i treated myself to some magura mt5e's in the january sale which have just arrived. having opened the box i see they have red connections when i need yellow (standard colour for bbsXX parts i believed). Could somebody enlighten me how i can use them or are they going back?

many thanks

Have you heard about someone using mt5e as direct plug-in for BBSXX drives?

BBS02 uses a magnetically actuated “Hall sensor” which pulls signal high up to about 4V.

All I can find about the levers you have say “mechanical switch” so I would assume it’s just an open/close switch. I think you’ll need a little more circuitry to operate the Bafang brake inhibit?

But I do agree the Bafang is much nicer experience with working brake inhibits. I finally dug out the sensors from the supplied stock Bafang cable levers and glued them to my Magura hydro rim brake housing along with a carefully placed magnet on the lever.

Ykick said:
BBS02 uses a magnetically actuated “Hall sensor” which pulls signal high up to about 4V.

All I can find about the levers you have say “mechanical switch” so I would assume it’s just an open/close switch. I think you’ll need a little more circuitry to operate the Bafang brake inhibit?
If it just pulls it up, then you just put the switch between signal and 5v, rather than signal and ground.

If it pulls it down, do it the other way.

you may well be right. i looked at the mechanical cut off levers that came with the middrive and they just had a pressure switch. i thought magura had just put a pressure switch in too. looking at the levers they have. it just seems they have ended their wire with a red higo connector when bafang use yellow connectors for brakes.

Are their any hydraulic ebrakes that end in yellow higo connectors?

amberwolf said:
If it just pulls it up, then you just put the switch between signal and 5v, rather than signal and ground.

If it pulls it down, do it the other way.

I tried that and it didn't work. Seems it didn't care for the Hall supply voltage? I didn't work much more on that approach once I started digging into the stock Bafang levers. And of course, those allowed me to retain the Higo connectors which aren't friendly to rework either.

After squinting at some photos am i right in thinking Tektro Dorado HD-E710 have yellow connectors at the end of them? i have also noticed i can buy my yellow connector hydraulic brake magnet with a red connector instead.

barnaby81 said:
After squinting at some photos am i right in thinking Tektro Dorado HD-E710 have yellow connectors at the end of them? i have also noticed i can buy my yellow connector hydraulic brake magnet with a red connector instead.

They appear to be Bafang compatible:
Lever.jpg
Read here:
http://dillengerelectricbikes.com.au/spares/brakes/hydraulic-e-brake-sets/tektro-dorado-hd-e710-180mm-hydraulic-brake-set.html

On the Higo brake connectors that I've seen, red is two pin and three is three pin. My BBS02 is three pin.

The third pin is +5 volts, not necessarily needed for "low level" brakes. I wonder if the 2 pin red male connectors will fit into a 3 pin yellow female. It would make sense to me that they would.

I am very interested in using these Magura brakes also. Are they compatible with the bbshd or not? would the 2 into 3 connector work ? Sorry to be a little "dense"

i was very keen on using them too but we can't. i dont think changing the connector would work. when my refund comes through i'll be buying tektro dorado's that have the three pronged connector

I think they would work with my hub drive kit. the Tectro levers supplied are only two wires with an rca style connector. I did not want to lose my hydraulic brakes and I didn't want to use a mid drive with mechanical brakes. I think I'll ask the vendor if these brakes come with a 3pin connector from the factory.

Here is something interesting, following a link on luna's forum, I went to EMPowered cycles and they have a yellow higo connector for the Tectro ebrakes which have a 2 wire reed switch and are compatible with the BBSHD. I'm thinking with this connector, these Magura brakes might work. Anyone got a second opinion?

Hi all

Ive been doing the same research today and came across the same issue. I have no idea if it will work with my bbs02. I noticed that these brakes are sold as either HIGO opener or HIGO closer do you think maybe barnaby81 just chose the wrong type. He got the HIGO Open when he should of got the close?

Depending on the price you can source them for they seem to be one of the best brakes on the market. See the link below they test both in a lab and on the track

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/best-mtb-disc-brake-can-buy/2/

Magera brakes no matter opener or closer will not work as ecutoff.
Tektro dorado''s will and do work as ecutoff.

Magura are better brakes

barnaby81 said:
I treated myself to some magura mt5e's in the january sale which have just arrived. having opened the box i see they have red connections when i need yellow (standard colour for bbsXX parts i believed). Could somebody enlighten me how i can use them or are they going back?

There are HIGO-S3-B2-adapters available here

Perth_ebiker said:
Anyone tried those adaptors ? Quite expensive in Aussie dollars if they don't work.

I don't know about the adapters, but I've bought HIGO cables from Reinhard (who owns ebike technologies) and they worked great. I would trust him that the cables work.

Thanks. I emailed him overnight and explained what i was hoping to achieve (Magura MT5e) and Infineon controller w/ ebrake cutoff. Hopefully he responds in the affirmative, And I'll buy them

Hi, I found a relatively easy solution for using Magura two pin Red connectors with the 3 pin yellow connectors used on Bafang without cutting off connector all together or purchasing adapters.
I located which pin was voltage (used only for Hall effect switches) and which pins were used for "contact" type switches like one in Magura lever.
Pins in Magura connector are 1/3 of the rotation off from pins in Bafang connector.
In order to line them properly I removed the alignment pin from the Magura connector with an exacto blade.
Once the alignment pin was removed, I rotated the Magura connector so that one of the metal pins was at 6 o'clock position, second pin was at approximately 2 o'clock position and the removed alignment pin was at about 10 o'clock position.
With the pin at 6 oclock position, I made a reference mark on the outside of the connector at 12 oclock position with a sharpie. Then I extended that mark to the body of the connector using white paint marker.
This mark will be used to line up red male connector with the arrow on the yellow female connector.

Care must be taken when cutting off the alignment pin. One can cut through entire connector wall or fingers or bend pins.
I was surprised to find out that plastic was somewhat brittle and once I made score mark on both sides, the pin came out with out much difficulty.
Care must also be taken with making reference mark, if not exact pins will be bent. Some force is required to fully insert HIGO connectors so be precise with making new alignment mark because you will not know if extra force is due to normal connection or misaligned pins.

Attachments

• completed connection.jpg
    completed connection.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 9,971
  • pin alignment 2.jpg
    pin alignment 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 9,967
  • pin alignment.jpg
    pin alignment.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 9,975
  • pin diagram.jpg
    pin diagram.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 9,977
Check out the ebike-technologies.de website, they make an adapter.

https://www.e-bike-technologies.de/index.php/en/adapter-and-y-adapter-en/adapter-higo-s3-b2-a

Adam271226 said:
Hi, I found a relatively easy solution for using Magura two pin Red connectors with the 3 pin yellow connectors used on Bafang without cutting off connector all together or purchasing adapters.

I assume this worked?

Matt Hughes at Empowered bicycle is a good resource. He doesn’t have the Tektro brakes in stock, but he encouraged me to cut off the adaptor from my mechanical brakes, and solder them to the wires from the Magura handles. He said discard the 5v wire, and use the blue and black. Didn’t matter which way you connected them as one is a ground and it’s juat a switch.

Back