Adding Rohloff to my Yamaha E-Bike , good idea?

pucak92

100 µW
Hello folks, I have 1,5 years old Yamaha Haibike Sduro SL, done 12k + km on it, engine no problems, just the speed casette in the back is 9 speed, front is 1 fixed ..... If I am at 9th speed I can go 36km/h with 81rpm ... Which is quite high, and I am also changing sprockets everytime I am changing the chain, which is not very economic .... What do you think of Rohloff speedhubs?
How long do you think my mid drive engine can last?

Your cassette is designed for 1 human power. your motor is putting out a lot more power than that, so of course the cassette wears out faster. And that same increase of power would be forced upon a Rohloff, which is also only designed for 1 human power.

A Nuvinci 360 hub is designed for more torque than normal, and would probably work better.

Go Rohloff, ignore the nay sayers.I thrash mine, with the bbshd, trail riding, and have zero issues. Plus I have a 35 mph road bike, along with the ultralow stump pulling 1 st. gear, all in the same bike! With a perfect chain line all of the time.

The Rohloff Speedhub is rated for at least 2kW, but it's important to observe the specified input torque limit. As long as you do that, I expect the hub will work fine for you.

I have yet to see a Rohloff hub that has been anything but reliable. The worst behavior I've seen them exhibit is oil leakage.

Chalo said:
The Rohloff Speedhub is rated for at least 2kW, but it's important to observe the specified input torque limit. As long as you do that, I expect the hub will work fine for you.

I have yet to see a Rohloff hub that has been anything but reliable. The worst behavior I've seen them exhibit is oil leakage.

Yes, +1 on that. Rohloff themselves say it´s no problem to go without oil at least more than 1000 Kms.
It is rated for tandem use, so two people no problem either.
Riese and Müller delivers his Charger Ebike with Bosch CX middle motor and Rohloff Speedhub as an option.
The Bosch CX does at minimum 15 NM more than your Yamaha, no problems so far.

Cheers

It should be fine I believe its rated to something in the 140NM range.

They use plastic shear pins in the event excess torque is encountered.

Shifting will require the torque backed down to below about 18 NM. Above that the torque keeps things a bit bound up to operate. May be seamless with the Yamaha, don't know.

What about shifting with a Rohloff and a pedal assist bike (e.g. Yamaha)? Rohloff doesn't shift well under load, so will the motor cut out quick enough when pedaling is paused to allow shifting?

Good question, and since I use use a BBSHD with my Rohloff ride, which has PAS and a throttle, I can't really tell you. I use throttle while pedaling almost all the time, I just find I can fine tune the amount of assist, if any, better then and more efficiently then any pre determined PAS does. The good thing about that, is when shifting I just ease up on the pedaling and the throttle both,shift, and continue. I'd suppose you'd have to stop pedaling briefly, shift, then start pedaling again. i frigging love my rohloff, all the more after riding my two "regular" bikes that don't have one.

Back