Accell Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub

General Discussion about electric bicycles.
LockH   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Ummm.. Started out in Victoria BC Canada, then started to move around... Oh oh.

Accell Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub

Post by LockH » Jan 26 2017 5:09pm

ES Bible "Search found 62 matches: +Accell"... one more:

Accell Launches E-Bike Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub:
http://www.bike-eu.com/home/nieuws/2017 ... b-10128755

Exploded view of new e-bike motor. Sturmey-Archer’s 5-speed IHG is shown at right side in front of three mounting bolts. – Photo Accell
Gear ratio

The new motor is a direct drive offering 40Nm of torque. Direct drive is in 3rd gear while the total gear ratio of the 5-speed stands at 242%. According to Accell this gear ratio is targeted to city use. “For sports use the cadence will be probably on the high side.” However, this new motor offers the possibility of combined use with a disc brake.
Accell Group is using the new motor in the 2017 Sparta R 5e. That’s a city bike that’s being introduced for a retail price of about € 2,000. According to Accell this price level already indicates that not an ION motor is used here. The company says, “However, it’s a motor offering the silent and direct drive ION characteristics. This price point is important to us as we want to strengthen our position in this part of the e-bike market.”

(Currently, € 2000 = about $2135US.)
ES changed my life (for the waaaaay better).

Eff. June, 2014 Phoenix Ebike Promotions

(Current ride? High speed lawn chair.)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57408

Phoenix Ebike Promotions conversion kit (work in progress. More drink holders, etc etc)
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=60564

Joined yer local chapter of EA yet?
(Ebikers Anonymous - Where we're all miserable failures, but the parties are hilarious...)

bdole   1 mW

1 mW

Re: Accell Motor with Integrated 5-Speed Gear Hub

Post by bdole » Jan 26 2017 5:48pm

Looks neat. I am waiting for a thru-axle hub of some sort. How does this hub mount up? I see no threaded axle...

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Jan 27 2017 2:06am

If you look at the lower right of the pic, you can see the IGH itself, which has the axle in it.

It's probably like other IGHs that have either two flatted axles, or one round and one flatted. It migth even have something like the Grin thru-axle motor that has an "integrated" torque arm (splines around the axle mount)..

spinningmagnets   100 GW

100 GW

Post by spinningmagnets » Jan 27 2017 11:28am

I wonder if this is a re-branded TDCM hub. They have the same layout, and also the same 5-speed IGH inside the center.

LewTwo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LewTwo » Jan 27 2017 1:14pm

spinningmagnets wrote:I wonder if this is a re-branded TDCM hub. They have the same layout, and also the same 5-speed IGH inside the center.
Ya nailed it (I think).
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

justin_le   10 MW

10 MW

Post by justin_le » Jan 29 2017 7:26am

spinningmagnets wrote:I wonder if this is a re-branded TDCM hub. They have the same layout, and also the same 5-speed IGH inside the center.
Almost for sure. It's a shame that all of these companies always feel the need to rebrand everything as their own rather than just attributing the product to the actual manufacturer, it would make it a lot more transparent for end users to know what they are getting. TDCM is one of those companies that makes pretty awesome and innovative motor drives for all kinds of other businesses that slap on their own logo. I'm not sure what I know that is supposed to be under NDA, just trust that it's crazy how many famous brands TDCM is responsible for, yet almost nobody actually knows about the "Taiwan DC Motor Company".
Previously competed in the Suntrip race on a back to back tandem solar powered row/cycle trike. 550 watt solar roof, dual Grin All Axle hub motors, dual Phaserunner controllers, 12 LiGo batteries, and a whole wack of gear.

Now back in Vancouver learning to be a dad with my Big Dummy Frame (yes This One, thanks ES!) with GMAC 10T rear hub motor, Phaserunner controller, and 52V 19Ah EM3EV pack
My website: http://www.ebikes.ca
Please contact via email, info@ebikes.ca, rather than PMs, which are disabled

mechaniker   10 mW

10 mW

Post by mechaniker » Jan 29 2017 10:48pm

I also don´t like the rebranding but on the other hand I belief that TDCM has no interest to be known from everybody. All the people on a need to know about e-bike Motors know TDCM and that´s enough for them, they don´t have any interest to answer question´s from consumers.
And if the public would know that in their high-price bike is just a cheap motor for 250usd they aren´t willing to pay 9000euro for a bike like "Stromer" even the Motor and all the rest has high Quality because the package is the value but sadly many consumer don´t see it this way
So in fact I belief that TDCM is doing it right for the interest of their own business standing not in the spotlight

regards
frank
http://www.lsdzs.com Lishui ebike Controller - european office
for clarification: I work for "Lishui-Controller/China" but my writing here is a private hobby

bigoilbob   100 W

100 W

Post by bigoilbob » Feb 07 2017 8:08am

OK, the obvious question, after reading the ads a couple of times. It seems that the motor does not power thru all the gears, only 3rd. Is this correct? They call it "direct drive", so I'm 99% on this. Just want expert corroboration. Thx.

LewTwo   100 kW

100 kW

Post by LewTwo » Feb 07 2017 12:32pm

bigoilbob wrote:OK, the obvious question, after reading the ads a couple of times. It seems that the motor does not power thru all the gears, only 3rd. Is this correct? They call it "direct drive", so I'm 99% on this. Just want expert corroboration. Thx.
The middle gear of the SA IGH hubs 'locks' the drive axle (a tube in this case) to the external hub via some pawls on the left hand side. The other gears drive the external hub via a combination of planetary gears. From what I can tell the motor in this case rides on the outside of the hub via a flanged connection on the left side. The IGH hub provide the resistance to spinning the wheel in the bike frame.
The more I learn the more obvious the immensity of my ignorance becomes.
Weight Wennie E-Bike https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 3#p1173723
Shaft Drive Grocery Getter https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90718
...and thanks to Justin!

WoodlandHills   10 kW

10 kW

Post by WoodlandHills » Feb 07 2017 12:50pm

This motor does not power THROUGH any of the 5 gears, it's a hub motor not a mid-drive. The gears are for you to be able to assist the motor by pedaling and third gear is direct drive, not overdriven or underdriven by means of internal gears. This means that it is the strongest gear with the least number of parts in play to wear out.

bigoilbob   100 W

100 W

Post by bigoilbob » Feb 11 2017 7:16am

Thanks Woodland, and I agree with the motor's good points. Just wanted to point out that it is not geared, with THOSE good points......

1HP   100 mW

100 mW

Post by 1HP » Jun 12 2018 6:02am

Bump :twisted:
Any body tried it yet ? , just saw these and was thinking it might be possible to use as mid drive .. flip igh inside or reverse motor rotation to drive the 5 speeds ... trying to find good pics of the interior and reviews to judge if possible
Build the Ride / Ride the build