Outside of NYC, but in New York: Anyone get zapped by LEO's?

Lost

1 mW
I live in upstate NY, and after reading the illegal ebike thread dealing with NYC, it has raised concerns about my new adventure. I would prolly continue anyway, but I am wondering if anyone outside the city limits (300 miles away for me) has run into Johnny law and ruining their day?
Apparently, *ALL* ebikes are illegal in NY? This despite the fact that local shops would be glad to sell me their TREK and other ebikes.
Thanks,

Lost in Upstate.

Ebikes not "legal" in NYS despite passing unanimously in the NYS Assembly, passed recently in the Senate also ... but not in the same year.

I've put 30,000 miles on various eBike during the past 9 years with no hassles ... a few comments.
Directly relevant was an officer who mentioned seeing me peddling my bike at a fast pace. (yes, he did stress "peddling")
Another officer followed me to a store and after noting electric power said, "I guess that is like a moped ... ?" and drove off.

Same city though! ... multiple DUI eBiker got confrontational with officer demanding he be shown that eBikes are illegal.
Not smart!!!
Got written up for violations with potential thousands of dollars in fines ... rumors are he left town as part of a plea deal.

So don't be stupid!
Stay under 20 mph,
observe traffic laws

Don't be blatantly obvious
pedal assist constantly

and most importantly ... don't be an a__hole, especially to the cops

NYS eBike enforcement looks to be a "No harm - No Foul" unofficial policy ... locally anyhow.

Still get in trouble?
Describe your bad knee ... mobility device!
Walking inflicts damaging impact, typical pedaling is joint stressful!
Recommended therapy is gentle range of motion without stressing joint = pedal assist on electric bike ...

Fake Pedaling goes a long ways.
Also as noted previously, walk with a very noticeable over emphasized limp and strap on a collapsible cane for the show you may be required to perform. Oh and dont forget to hand them "Free Donut" gift card with special sauce ;) ;) :lol:

Now instead of the pig stating "Guess thats considered a moped" now his embarrassment will be "Oh wait thats a Mobility device"

The fact of the matter is pigs know the traffic code inside and out, that is their bread and butter. The fact that the pig considered that a moped when it looked like a bicycle with pedals, proves the fact of the matter. I was stopped once on my non electric bicycle, picking bottles with a home made duct tape and stick "trailer". Cars were parked on my right and I was 2' away so if a door opened I would not die. The cop drove past me by 6"-1' almost killing me at 50kph then he had the nerve to stop ahead of me and frock with me. Told me to get off the main residential road. This is why I dislike pigs. Power Tripping A-Holes!

Wish I had a camera for some of the shit I've been through. Post it on the interweb and get a mob going. Full names required please LOL.

BTW I was nice to the guy, I didnt say much. He acted like he was running my name, but didn't. He just wanted to see my body language to see if I had any warrants. They dont know Im not a bum, may have looked like one though, but am not. Since it was over in Bridgeland in Calgary by Bum Central "The Drop-In Center" commonly referred to as The DI. They just assumed I was a bum.

I second DRKs comments. Upstate new york, about 30k on ebikes, just ride like a bicycle and pedal. Obey traffic, be kind to those on the bike path and go reasonable bicycle speeds.

I don't get it. Ebikes are legal under federal law and federal law supersedes state law so how can ebikes be illegal anywhere in the US?

Federal NHTSA & CPSC traffic law does not replace local (State) law.
"Levels
•Federal
•State
•County
•City
Each level can be more restrictive than
the one above, if the lawmakers wish."

Legal eBike use in NYS has been attempting-awaiting legality since the beginning of the century.
Strangely, it has been approved, often unanimously in the State Assembly, most every year, but died in the Senate, every year until once when it failed to reach a vote in the Assembly. Did pass in the Senate once.

NYS congress is notorious for getting nothing done!

It will take a concerted effort of prodding congressmen to push the Bill through both Houses in the same year!

New York State citizens only ...
Finding your Senator
Finding your Assemblymen

This Sessions version of eBike Bill

Senate Bill S2888
2017-2018 Legislative Session

Defines the term electric assisted bicycle

Assembly Bill A1018
2017-2018 Legislative Session

Defines the term electric assisted bicycle

Bills limit eBikes to 750w and 20mph ... helmet use required!

Support and comments can be left at the links above. Directly to congressmen and related to each Bill.
I left comments, but they require approval before being posted.

See long term thread -NYS eBike Bill

file.php

It appears that, just by your say so, any type of power driven mobility device is to be considered "legal" when used as a motivational aid.
Exceptions might logically include conveyances exceeding the Federal "legal" definition of a bicycle as being limited to 20mph under motor power alone.
Important to note that this would not relieve operator from damage or injury liability, especially if operated at speeds higher than a persons natural "mobility". (walking - jogging - running - cycling speed?)

"Credible Assurance
An entity that determines it can
accommodate one or more types of
OPDMDs in its facility (including streets!) is allowed to ask
the person using the device to provide
credible assurance that the device is
used because of a disability. If the
person presents a valid, State-issued
disability parking placard or card or
a State-issued proof of disability, that
must be accepted as credible
assurance on its face
. If the person does not
have this documentation, but states
verbally that the OPDMD is being used
because of a mobility disability, that also must
be accepted as credible assurance,
unless
the person is observed doing something
that contradicts the assurance."

Best of all ...
You can online file a complaint with the ADA.
No lawyers required!

How to File an ADA Complaint with the U.S. Department of Justice

Please! Do not abuse this option by just complaining.
This is provided for direct offenses specifically against you.
And you must have specifically mentioned to the offender(s) that your eBike was to aid a mobility, circulatory, respiratory, or neurological disability problem.
Additionally, you must have been operating in a legal bicycle manner or, if on sidewalk or footpath only trail, operating at a moderate-safe speed.

ADA Mobility Device Flyer

I wouldn't worry about it unless your ebike is crazy looking with wires sticking out everywhere and it's obvious. Going a reasonable speed and pedaling with the motor and I highly doubt anyone will notice. I've been ebiking for years and never had an issue with the police.

Back