Bolt On Wheel To 20mm Through Axle Conversion?

mybike

100 W
As I just do commuting and some fun riding i just went and purchased these cheaper 680DH ZOOM fork. My old ones on the bike have gone bad and not serviceable.
I should have the ZOOM fork this coming Friday.

My old forks are the older type (bolt on) but I see that the ZOOM forks are though Axle Type.

Q. Is it possible to convert my bolt on existing wheel to 20mm through axle or do I need to buy a new wheel?

At least a new hub on the wheel, and new spokes if the hubs are different diameters.

I'd say you are shopping for a through hub wheel.

Adapters can be found but ideally, you need another wheel or another hub. 20 mm through axle is now common standard, universal for DH and Freeride bikes. You can find a used DH wheel in good condition pretty cheap in the winter, for it is the time when serious riders are upgrading components building their bike for the next season.

If you have matching rims that you want to keep, then you have to buy a good DH front Hub that may be be expansive new, but easy to find used. Then re-lace your wheel. A good DH hub though, will outlast your fork for sure, and many bikes if you choose among the best. I like Sun Ringle or DT Swiss older Freeride hubs in 36h, for they let me use the same front and rear rims with a hub motor build. Some of my fr hubs had seen 5 or 6 bikes, and likely to outlast a few more. It is the same with many other high quality components, that is why many DH riders are buying a new frame alone, and build it with most of the components off their last season's bike.

This is tough to answer if you don't tell us what wheel hub you currently have. The Hope Pro 2 can be switched between all different sized skewers and axles with various adapters, but it is unlikely you have one of these if you are opting for zoom forks. If your bike goes faster than 20mph, that fork is very ill advised.

I have QUANDO make hub, I know low quality crap.. if it can be converted I would prefer that at this time.
I am looking at Hope Pro 2 Evo Front Hub and seeing my options and root to go.

I have not read anyone who has this fork has had bad experience, only read posts from people who don’t have one and talked bad about it.
I do hope these forks work out for me though and don’t later regret it as now I will own one.

Ecycler If you have links to where people had bad experience with these please post I would be interested as I don’t want to be regretting
later on down the line.

Attachments

• Enduro Build.JPG
    Enduro Build.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,000
mybike said:
Ecycler If you have links to where people had bad experience with these please post I would be interested as I don’t want to be regretting
later on down the line.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68861&p=1060209&hilit=zoom+broke#p1059638

My life is worth more than gambling on saving a few hundred dollars for a cheap fork made with inferior materials. Would you want your brake handles or steering stem to be made out of metal this brittle?

I have read that thread. Buying older used forks not a good idea so there was bad experience.

I did take the gamble on these 680DH Zoom Forks. I also read good on the thread and from someone who already has one,
so I took the gamble. If these don’t work out I will replace them with forks from em3ev.com as I was originally looking at
forks from there.

I will post about these 680DH Zoom Forks with my experience.

So you want somebody that has used those forks... Well I have, and I've been riding mountain bikes for a good while now. IMO, the best forks you can/should buy on ebay for the money will either be the RST First Air shocks, or the Suntour Aion/Raidon types followed by the new Rockshox Recons which are now air.

The Zoom forks, even the triples/DH forks tend to feel like an old style pogo/elastomer setup with shitty spring rates. The people that has used these forks rarely have used a high end one like a Pike/Sid so they say: "It works great! and has lasted me!" WIth the new front shocks shipping with much bigger stanchions as well, I really don't see triple crown as a necessity as even the X-Fusion's suspension stuff is tons affordable, highly rated, and you can find people selling them cheap on Ebay as they upgrades often to the higher end Pikes/Fox stuff.

So yes, Zoom forks will work, but they aren't that great. Zoom forks are also regularly featured and equipped on super low end bikes, as an alternative to already lowend RST/Suntour forks. So when you're putting 30-40mph stress on a shitty fork with tolerances that are much lower than the other equivalent bike companies, then yeah- people will tell you it's a shit idea.

Back