Custom genesis v2100 torque arm

Baron

100 W
This is my plan for a genesis V2100 torque arm with clamping dropouts and disc brake adapter mounting holes. It would be much easier to get it waterjet cut, but the goal is to use the tools that I have in my garage and some 1/4" thick steel 4"x12" that I have lying around.

The purple marker is a tracing of the genesis dropout area, and the pencil is the proposed torque arm. Note: these drawings are just mock ups and are not exactly to scale, they're just references to use as I make the torque arm. Don't go putting them in a CAD program and sending them off to get cut unless you want to clean up the lines/make them more accurate.

It's a 14mm axle (10mm flats) but I am leaving room for a 16mm axle too. 1/8" grade 8 clamping bolt because that's probably the biggest I can fit through 1/4" steel. Going to use two nuts :shock: and loctite blue to hold the bolt in place. The torque arm will be epoxied to the frame with Loctite metal epoxy and some bolts. But no epoxy will be used around the clamping area to allow the metal to move.

The hardest part will be accurately cutting the dropouts 10mm apart, so I'll attempt that first. probably just going to cut them 9mm apart and file to fit. Next is the holes for the clamping bolt, once I'm satisfied with these, I'll try to fab the rest of the torque arm

Genesis V2100 torque arm2.jpg
View attachment 2
View attachment 1
genesis.jpg

Looks great to me. definitely cut them 9 mm, then file to fit perfect.

Making the forward end of the dropout rounded instead of square cornered and drilling a hole thru at the end of the small slot so it's rounded will both help reduce cracking...

Voltron said:
Making the forward end of the dropout rounded instead of square cornered and drilling a hole thru at the end of the small slot so it's rounded will both help reduce cracking...

Like this? Or did you mean smaller holes at the end of the slots
torque arm blank2.png

Making it rounded is going to be tricky

here's what I hacked together in my garage

the goal was to do it as cheap as possible with tools/materials that I already had lying around

the only cuts that had to be accurate were the dropout flats and the distance from the center of the axle to the disc brake caliper adapter mounting holes.

I actually measured the disc brake holes wrong on the prototype, luckily I was still able to position them the right way

everything else was within a mm or two, cut to fit

m6 bolt fits extremely snug in the hole drilled with a 7/32 drill bit. there's no play at all, the bolts have to be screwed into the hole/the threads grab a little on the outside metal

I used M6 bolts for the disc brake adapter and frame bolts and M4 bolt for the clamping part. 1/4" thick steel from Lowe's -- only labeled "weld steel"

It's pretty ugly but it should get the job done. If I could do it again I would definitely draw it up in CAD/software and send it off to get cut, along with a second piece for the other dropout side.

2222222222.jpg
44444444444.jpg
33333333333.jpg
11111111111.jpg

ndavidow said:
How's this working for you? I've got the same frame, going to attempt a similar one.

Works great, but it really wasn't worth the time invested imo to build it myself. I suggest you get the metal cut professionally or find a nicer frame with rear brake mounts and get something like this:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=69073

can post more pics if there is interest.

Back