This is too much fun. Light Q100 build #4 - full suspension

chas58

10 kW
Apparently I have to build a new e-bike every year, and its year #4. Time for a stealthy light weight full suspension bike...

Found an old high end light aluminum full suspension Bianchi that a friend wasn't using any more. My dangerous thought is: That would be perfect for a hub motor build! Although aluminum, it has a steel rear triangle (and dropout), and a 7 speed cassette, with twist grip shifting. Talk about plug and play!

Easy install and stealth. Throttle is ultra stealth on the handlebars, hub motor is naturally hidden behind the freewheel, and my mighty mini battery fits into a seat post bag, or into a small frame bag.

Although my light weight drop bar road bike is my favorite commuter (especially for fast 50 mile paved commutes), this bike is a ball to ride at 15-25mph along open fields, two track fire roads, frozen mud, and even ice and snow covered roads with studded tires. (Did I mention the owner threw in $300 worth of studded tires - it's been a fun winter!).

The build is 39lbs, which is a bit more than my 29lb road bike, but it rides great in the rough stuff. A bit overkill for something that stays on tarmac.

Credit to Ron (@spinningmagnets) for good articles on battery chemistry that inspired me to have a light weight custom pack made (3lbs for 25miles at 25mph).

I did ask Luna cycles if they would make/sell a 36v pack like this, and at the time they really were not interested in 36v packs, but gave me some good encouragement and ideas. I guess the idea had some traction. About 6 months later, they took that basic concept and made the 52v mighty mini battery (same size/shape/what hours in a 52v package). Looks like they are selling well

20170226_125519-01 750.jpg
Above: Using the Luna battery bag, which coincidently is the same size as my custom pack, lol

20170306_204544-01 750.jpg

Then again, a frame bag fits perfectly and hides all the wires...

20170226_160106-01 750.jpg
Nicely, even the cockpit doesn't look like an ebike at all. Can you find the throttle in this picture?

That is stealth for sure. What kind of motor/controller are your running?

pwd said:
That is stealth for sure. What kind of motor/controller are your running?

24v 201rpm Q100 running at 36v and 300rpm (among other Q100 motors)
Controllers are the little $10 things from elifebike and greenbikekit (12, 14, 17 amps).
Custom 10s3p battery from em3ev (3.2Mah cells Samsung SDI INR18650-32E). 1.59kg.

Looks familiar;
100_0101.JPG
I have been touting the value and virtues of used mountain bikes for conversion for a long time.
Older MTB's go for a song because their limited suspension travel and 26" whl.s are considered out-dated by the off-road crowd, but 3 to 4 inches of controlled suspension is a blessing on the street.
Frankly, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would want to ride a suspensionless ebike on any surface.
I got that 2007 Taiwan made GT Idrive 4.0(entry level, but still came w/ a Fox air shock) for $350. It had been used maybe a half of dozen times and had new Forte Gotham tires.

Nice left hand throttle.

Does it have the HiGo Connector ?

If your hand gets tired you can take out the spring, or modify the spring to make it have less pressure to twist.

chas58 said:

Nicely, even the cockpit doesn't look like an ebike at all. Can you find the throttle in this picture?

good idea Scooter. One reason I use a twist throttle instead of a thumb throttle is my thumb would get too tired. LOL

I do prefer a light non suspension road bike for commuting, but then again - I ride very light as the old school people say. The full suspension bike is for non pavement riding. Mixed trail and gravel grinding.

Great looking build chas! I can't tell its electric.

motomech said:
I got that 2007 Taiwan made GT Idrive 4.0(entry level, but still came w/ a Fox air shock) for $350. It had been used maybe a half of dozen times and had new Forte Gotham tires.

That frame is a nice find, and seems ideal for rough roads! I've also been looking for a good used dual suspension for another build, but in my area, everyone thinks they can sell their old junk for thousands. I've been looking for months with little success... My route to work used to be good, but it has become increasingly cratered and pitted - I've been taking quite the beating.

chas58 said:
good idea Scooter. One reason I use a twist throttle instead of a thumb throttle is my thumb would get too tired. LOL

When I received my thumb throttle, I thought they sent me a left one by mistake, because I couldn't imagine pulling a throttle lever toward me. With it strategically mounted on the left side, my thumb pushes it directly forward without any effort on my part or strain on the joints. With a twist throttle, my wrist gets tired.

I see I'm not the only one doing lightweight builds. The best one I have done was a Carbon Fiber Santa Cruz Blur XC. It is about 29 lbs without the battery. I think my aluminum Santa Cruz Superlight is about 32 lbs with the older slightly heavier Q100CST. How have you been making out? Is it the 39 lb one here?

I shaved some pounds here and there by ordering things like Carbon Fiber bars and seat posts on ebay for a 10th of the cost new. Ditched the front derailleur and went with 1x up front. Other tricks too if you're interested. They all add up (I mean subtract).

I was looking at the 52v mighty mini battery too. It looks pretty sweet. I ended up getting to LiGo's from Grin. I like the flexibilty of the LiGo's. With the Grin Phaserunner, I can run the LiGo's in parallel 36v mode or series 72v mode. I'm still playing around with the programming.

Nice,

Yeah, the full suspension bike is about 39 lbs with battery.
My main bke is a 29lb bike.

The ligos look great - especially as an option to use as add on power. I like how they are safe to stack with other batteries in parallel.

I get a kick out of luna's 52v battery. When the store first opened, I asked i if they would make a small 2s or 3s 36v pack with some of the new high density cells. They were not interested in 36v at the time, but about 6 months later they came out with the 2s 52v pack which was the same concept. the 52v 2s pack is the same size as my 36v 3s pack. Its just that I get 25 miles on my pack, but its the same basic design.

I have 4 Ligo's now plus the Phaserunner. I'm going to experiment with my range with 2 Ligos and 4 Ligos at 36v/72v.

The Phaserunner makes 2 Ligo's 10s feel more like 12s/13s. Partly because of the Field Weakening capability.

Its pretty cool. I got Justin and Rob at Grin/ebiks.ca to help with the original tuning, otherwise I would have been lost.

Man I have been gone for too long. You guys are echoing my thoughts on stuff.
Just ordered a batt from em3ev Glad to hear good about them. I looked at grin. I will have to dig around there and check out this phase ? thing..
I also love my old FSR. I orig. put it on 20 in. wheels I got from YPedal but I have ordered a 24 in for the front and am getting bmx cranks and a single up front.

I do want to a light bike next. My 9 continent is a tad heavy. Been looking at the Q100s Where do you buy yours Luna?

I have no reason for suspension on city streets, with a gel seat, Suntour seat post, and Hook Worm tires I'm good 99% of the time.

BUT the real reason I posted this was to complement the build, very clean and well organized! Great work!

motomech said:
Looks familiar;

tomjasz said:
I have no reason for suspension on city streets, with a gel seat, Suntour seat post, and Hook Worm tires I'm good 99% of the time.

BUT the real reason I posted this was to complement the build, very clean and well organized! Great work!

motomech said:
Looks familiar;

Thanks! I agree.

My summer commuter is the 29lb (including battery) road bike. Light, fast, and great range (see my sig).

But to be able to do 20-25mph off road or on rougher 2 tracks is kinda fun with a light build. Its overkill for the road.

Yesterday I was going down and old abandoned rail bed, having fun popping over the whoop-de-do's landing in one just to pop back out and land in the next one. It was a rough, rocky trail snowmobile trail, but the bike just soaked it up..

Back