RadCity size?

I'm thinking of purchasing the Radcity but not sure which size? It comes in 16" and 20" frame. I'm 5'10" with inseam 32 inches. Any suggestions? I prefer an upright position with adequate leg extension. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/pages/radcity-technical-specs
RadCity_3qtr_Right.jpg

Compare them to Surface604. Pretty close in price. I have seen the Rad but not the Surface604. But the Surface604 looked better to me. Frame size I wish I could help. But all I saw was their Cargo bike and it was big! Probably for people 5'9" at least.

From what you said I would go for the 20". I have a 35" Inseam and I know that 20" would fit me well, but 16" would feel really small.

It's like buying Shirts where Large isn't always Large.

Have you written them and asked for a suggestion?

I spoke with the folks at Radpower and they suggested the 16"frame. One of the owners is 6ft and prefers the 16 inch. I'll stop by my local bike shop for their opinion. Yeah, buying a bike is like purchasing clothes, a large might not exactly be a large.

I was in a Local Bike Shop the other day getting my motor/wheel trued. They had a Specialized Expedition on display. While I was waiting I pulled it out of the rack to sit on it. It looked pretty small. I wish I would have noted the frame size. I believe it was a Medium, but not completely sure. Pretty cheap little bike to do an easy rear conversion as a guest bike.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/fitness/expedition/106352

In any case. I was surprised at how well it actually fit me. It has a quill stem and adjustable seat.

So after reading your post I was thinking maybe you could find a frame geometry that looks like the rad and give a local shop that carries a similar frame in a 16" a try. I like to frequent local guys when possible and I buy parts from local guys so I don't feel like I'm using them like an Amazon Showroom.

Something to check out on the Rad City is how easy it is to service a flat. Their Cargo bike as mentioned is quite large and it looked like a real PIA to work on a flat. But the price point they are hitting for what they are selling is very enticing.

This was a bike that caught my interest. But clearly not in my budget. It's a 19" with a step through, they call it a Medium/Large. https://www.surface604.com/ebikes/rook-electric-cruiser-bike/

Have you seen this Youtube Video?: https://youtu.be/Sl2BmPBDopQ

Maybe there are other reviews that can help you visualize the size based on the size of the other riders?

I checked out the surface 640, great looking bike with decent specs and power. But emailed the Surface 640 company three times for questions about the motor--and no answers. Obviously poor customer service. Electric bike review commented Radcity size issues: " Ken Cooper
2 days ago
I finally received my Radcity ebike. It's beautiful .. but .. It's too tall for me. I'm over 6'2" and never imagined I'd run into a bike that's too tall for me. But when I straddle the bar, I have to stand on my tippy toes in order to keep from damaging myself (I have a 31" inseam). As long as I'm riding the bike it's great, but whenever I have to stop I have to come down on my tiptoes. For me, it's dangerous. Now I have no idea what the heck to do. I've had it for about 20 days and have ridden it .. not much .. but I've ridden it. Thus It appears I don't qualify for a return. I live in an area where ebikes are a rarity so selling it would, at best, be difficult. I suppose I could find a welder who could maybe move that bar down for me - or maybe some low profile tires is the answer. Suggestions anyone?

Court Rye
1 day ago
Hey Ken THANK YOU so much for sharing your height, inseam and the situation with your RadCity. Did you get the 16" or 20" frame size? I do my best to share specs like standover height and yeah... it's right at 31.5" for the smaller of the two models. Bummer man, you can post it as a used bike on the forums here in the Rad Power Bikes section or reach out to the company for a possible exchange. I would not recommend welding it or doing anything that could impact the structural integrity. Best to sell at a deeper loss locally and maybe buy a different model with a discount from Rad? I hope these ideas help..."

I'll stop by my local bikes shop this weekend for their advice. I really want the Radcity but squirm at ordering the wrong size.

I test rode a couple of 20" Rad City Bikes at their store in Ballard (Seattle) a couple of weeks ago. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. I saw the 16" frames there as well and there is no way I would have gone with one, it would have felt way too small. At 5'10", you're only 3" shorter than me and unless you have short, stubby legs, I'd probably recommend the 20" frame for you as well. You can always fine tune the fit by adjusting the seat and handlebar stem.

georgefromvt said:
I'm thinking of purchasing the Radcity but not sure which size?
For any bike that has a photo of it's side view available, and that you know the size of any component, you can determine all the dimensions, and figure out if it has adequate standover height.

Since most at least list their wheelsize, you can measure the image's wheel, and calculate a ratio between the listed wheelsize and the image's. Then use that ratio to determine any other dimension of the bike taht you can measure in the image.

amberwolf said:
georgefromvt said:
For any bike that has a photo of it's side view available, and that you know the size of any component, you can determine all the dimensions, and figure out if it has adequate standover height.

Since most at least list their wheelsize, you can measure the image's wheel, and calculate a ratio between the listed wheelsize and the image's. Then use that ratio to determine any other dimension of the bike taht you can measure in the image.
Amberwolf , thanks for the great advice. I'll probably stop by my local bike shop for their advice. EBR comments list a few owners who commented the 20" was too tall for their inseam. I wish I could find a few locals with radcity to check out their bikes.

amberwolf said:
georgefromvt said:

Amberwolf , thanks for the great advice. I'll probably stop by my local bike shop for their advice. EBR comments list a few owners who commented the 20" was too tall for their inseam. I wish I could find a few Radcity owners to check out their bikes. Web purchasing is often risky when size is a factor.

Back