Using Panier Bag for Battery?

I like mounting my battery on the rear rack (Use front motors) and this configuration balances the bike nicely for me and I don't have handling problems.

I recently purchased a back up battery For extended Range.

Battery: 9" x 5.75" x 3.25" 8lbs.

I don't always need 24AH of capacity, but there are times I'd like to carry a second battery. It won't fit in the main bag with the existing battery.

I'm thinking the easiest solution would be to hang a Pannier specifically for the battery on the rack when I wanted to take a trip with more range. Easy to put on the bike, and easy to take off. I charge my batteries off the bike. When the capacity of Battery 1 is used up... I'd just stop, and then connect this backup battery and continue on. Most Paniers I'm finding are quite deep which would lower the center of gravity (Good thing), but also quite big and I have nothing else I really want to put in the bag. I'm thinking I'd rather have something that was more of a rectangular that would hold the battery in a horizontal position than just dropping vertical into a deep bag. But I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone carrying batteries in a Panier?

What brands are you using?
Any downside to this method?
Padding?

Some existing info, if it helps:

Similar current thread
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=87096

A few others
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=pannier+batt*&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

a few others in this list but not all are relevant.
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=pannier&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=titleonly&sk=t&sd=d&sr=topics&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

Additionally, if you parallel connect the two batteries (while both are at the full state of charge), there will be less load on each one, so both will have an easier time of it and have a longer lifespan.

I've done it. I tend to strap the battery down in the bag (if it has inner pockets), mount it nice and low and/or wrap a velcro around the outside of the bag. That battery was in an aluminum case, so I wasn't worried about it getting too banged up. I did have to watch for friction wear on the bag though.

in the end, I went to a frame bag to carry stuff like that.

chas58 said:
I've done it. I tend to strap the battery down in the bag (if it has inner pockets), mount it nice and low and/or wrap a velcro around the outside of the bag. That battery was in an aluminum case, so I wasn't worried about it getting too banged up. I did have to watch for friction wear on the bag though.

in the end, I went to a frame bag to carry stuff like that.

Thanks. I'd actually only be using it "once in a while" for those few times I really want to venture out over 30 miles. I usually only ride 20-25 miles.

Yeah I used padding more to protect the bag than the battery. I didn't want it flopping all over the place. Some way to strap it down helps. That is a fairly large/heavy battery to put in a bag.

I really like the frame bag. The revelate large frame bag will fit that battery (off hand). That is what I used for a similar sized battery (assuming it fits in your frame). comes in handy for storage if you don't put the battery in it. It held my battery tighter, kept the bike better balanced, and was more aerodynamic than the panier. For a pannier I used ortlieb (I think it had a strap/webbing inside to help keep the battery from flapping too much).

https://www.revelatedesigns.com/index.cfm/store.catalog/frame-bags/TangleFrameBag

My panniers
IMG_20170313_145105_zpscyx3jbuz.jpg

IMG_20170313_145058_zpspwuv7rfu.jpg

And the batteries
IMG_20170312_130414_zps0yj0ducc.jpg

IMG_20170312_130343_zpsqlxycpxg.jpg

I have 12S 32Ah of Multistars in one side wrapped in Polycarbonate then duct tape and in the other is 14S 32Ah.
The individual batteries are also covered in vynil floor tiles and duct tape for puncture proofing.
Bike rides and balances well and the only time you notice the weight is when you try to lift the back wheel off the ground.

Back