Bionx freehub crumbled away.

invert82

1 µW
While replacing my cassette, the freehub body on the hub motor literally crumbled away on me.

Bionx have told me I need a new motor which seems crazy for a simple part like that, has any one had any success replacing the free hub on one of these Bionx P 250 and know which free hub I would need to replace it with?

Attachments

• IMG_2810.JPG
    IMG_2810.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,454
You'd need the one from BionX, so if they aren't supplying them as separate parts, you'd have to find another BionX motor with the same part on it, and swap it over.

The problem is that the fixing bolt for the freehub is blocked until the axle is taken out, and the Bionx motor is press fit together so very hard to disassemble. Bummer design flaw....

You could just fit and screw a freewheel threaded mount on the cover. Then, it should not be that hard to find a scrap motor like yours, and take the right cover to replace yours.

MadRhino said:
You could just fit and screw a freewheel threaded mount on the cover.

Bionx uses torque transmitted through the freehub as a PAS signal. Using a threaded freewheel mounted to the side cover would disable that system at least.

Ah! True it would disable the torque sensor. Still, it would be running on the throttle until the OP finds a used motor. Now, it seems that he had already. Bionix are making everything they can, to prevent users from fixing or mod their system by themselves.

It's a 250 watt motor so I guess this doesn't really apply, but on my last couple builds I didn't even bother putting on a chain.

Thanks for all the advice guys, has been really helpful, sounds like bionx have made this part unmaintainable. I really hate having to replace perfectly working parts.

Back