New Crystalite motor - the Cannon

BiGH

100 kW
I was just over browsing at TEB / EV Tech and found this:

http://www.texaselectricbikes.com/catalog/crystalyte-cannon-motor-p-210.html

and realised there isn't a single page for stats of these (and other) crystalite motors for things like weight and dimensions.

texaselectricbikes.com said:
CRYSTALYTE CANNON HUB MOTOR $329.00

Click to enlarge
ALL NEW !! CRYSTLAYTE CANNON HUB MOTOR FOR REAR DROP OUT 135mm

BRIDGES THE GAP BETWEEN THE 4 SERRIES AND THE 5 SERRIES WITH BETTER PERPFORMANCE THAN THE 4'S AND LIGHTER WEIGHT THAN THE 5'S.

Specs.
Maximum Torque: 40Nm
Maximum Efficiency: 85%
Maximum Power Out: 600Watt
Rated Power: 350watts
Voltage : 36V"

I'm looking forward to some reviews of this motor (and the Journey).

The fact it fits dropouts 135mm wide, could mean an application for some flat bar road bikes (for frames that support disc brakes and changing to a vbrake) ..... mmmm NOW we're talking.

Haydon. :)[/quote]

yeh! tell me about it - no info on crystalite's homepage. a search on google for "CRYSTALYTE CANNON" brings up two different sites( 3 pages)

I was just about to order a 5303... now gonna hold off until i have more info.

Really want someone in the know to give the infoz.

I've sent doug an email, will wait for a reply.

I'm not sure if the "Journey" is a different hub again, or simply a 400 series motor.

has anyone got any updates on this? I really want to start building my commuting bike!

This site sells a kit based on the Cannon. There info isn't much more complete than evtech, but at least there are more words and pictures :)

http://www.econver.web.aplus.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ASL&Product_Code=CCS&Category_Code=EBCKW

I agree, That is one of the best kits I've seen and has instructions!

Its too bad they left all the wisdom of the Crystalyte designation behind (5304, 408 etc) Why in the heck do that??!!?

Al

well its supposted to fit bwteen the 4 and 5 series....

but yeh agreed - it would be nice to at least konw windings...

maybe someone can suggest what it would be close to based on the torque curve?

Still not sure of the windings, but its designed to be a cruiser style motor similar to the GL2 (according to Eric at AITV)

Hi Haydon,

The cannoon motor does fit between the x5 and 4 series and is similar in design to the gl-2. The motor axle size is 9mm for use in standard bicycle dropouts, the 408 and x5 motors require a 3/8" dropout, which is only available in cruiser style bikes or by modifying dropouts. The motor is designed for cruising, but I don't have the motor winding information.

Let us know if you need any more information.

Thanks

Eric Converse
ATIV Solutions

aaa, yes we need more info -- we're all asking what the windings are. What are we supposed to do, buy a dyno and test it against other motors? Somebody here must be a C-Lyte dealer and be able to call Kenny or something and get the necessary info.

well i've emailed kenny, So far i've gotten a similar reponse from both Brett (solarbbq) and Eric (ativsolutions.com) and both these guys have been excellent in answering quetsions.

I'm not a big fan of making phone calls, but looks like a long distance call might be in order (either that or just fork out for the motor and pull it apart)

also the cannon's weight is 14.5 lbs. - or 6.35kg

now all we need is the windings! :)

i will be testing any motor i buy on my kurt trainer at full voltage to check how hot it runs. :p

BiG, I wrote Kenny asking him specifficly about the windings. His answer has nothing new except that it is machine wound rather than hand wound like the other Clytes. I don't know what to think of that as in RC car racing the hand wound motors are undisputedly the best and cost twice as much -- this is in brushed motors, brushless motors are making inroads in racing now and I am not aware of how they wind them.

Kenny reiterated that the Cannon is between the 408 and 53xx but did not say more.

What's with your testing machine -- how do you do that? Is it a trainer with a drain brain hooked up? Will you be testing a Cannon soon?

Thanks,
A

Nimbuzz said:
BiG, I wrote Kenny asking him specifficly about the windings. His answer has nothing new except that it is machine wound rather than hand wound like the other Clytes. I don't know what to think of that as in RC car racing the hand wound motors are undisputedly the best and cost twice as much -- this is in brushed motors, brushless motors are making inroads in racing now and I am not aware of how they wind them.

Kenny reiterated that the Cannon is between the 408 and 53xx but did not say more.

What's with your testing machine -- how do you do that? Is it a trainer with a drain brain hooked up? Will you be testing a Cannon soon?

Thanks,
A

I'll be ordering a brain drain yes with the bike. Basically i'm mostly concerned about heat - so i would be trying to test how much heat was generated with the hub motor. I'm trying to get a good efficient motor. I haven't gotten a cannon yet... but i'm seriously thinking of ordering one and if it goes bad just get a 408. I can't run a GL-2 on the crystalite controller without modifications, and the GL-2 is a kg and a bit lighter, and give some good speed.

funny but someone emailed me recently and said one of my torque graphs was on another website........kenny sent ativ my gl-2 torque graph to use for cannon torque graph...thats not cricket!!!
anyway its since been removed but cannon is probably similar winding pattern is my guess. The other interesting thing is the gl-2 motor in march last year was not on the market in china, today they are everywhere over there, the speed at which things are copied over there and put on the market is hard to believe.

I've just ordered one of the Cannon kits from ATIV. They tell me it should ship tomorrow AM. This'll be my first e-bike, got some anticipation going here!

solarbbq2003 said:
funny but someone emailed me recently and said one of my torque graphs was on another website........kenny sent ativ my gl-2 torque graph to use for cannon torque graph...thats not cricket!!!
anyway its since been removed but cannon is probably similar winding pattern is my guess. The other interesting thing is the gl-2 motor in march last year was not on the market in china, today they are everywhere over there, the speed at which things are copied over there and put on the market is hard to believe.

Yah that was me!

agent86 said:
I've just ordered one of the Cannon kits from ATIV. They tell me it should ship tomorrow AM. This'll be my first e-bike, got some anticipation going here!

COOL!!!! i think i speak for everyone when i say we want LOTS AND LOTS OF pics (and if possible can you open the motor? pretty please? we wanna find out the winding etc info!

BiGH said:
agent86 said:

COOL!!!! i think i speak for everyone when i say we want LOTS AND LOTS OF pics (and if possible can you open the motor? pretty please? we wanna find out the winding etc info!

I second that -- agent85 was just bumped-off by Big Oil while developing similar information, so you're next up to bat.... :wink:

xyster said:
I second that -- agent85 was just bumped-off by Big Oil, so you're next up to bat.... :wink:

Damm that KAOS organisation :p

FWIW, texaselectricbikes.com has changed their description of it to:

CRYSTALYTE V2-408 CANNON HUB MOTOR FRONT $329.00
ALL NEW!! CRYSTALYTE CANNON ELECTRIC BIKE HUB MOTOR FOR FRONT WHEEL
THIS IS THE RE-DESIGN OF THE POPULAR 408 HUB MOTOR

So what it looks like is they made a 408 but narrower and with a larger diameter for better torque at moderate speeds - I think it's Xlyte's effort at a Bionx killer. Except hackable :)

Anyway I'll upload pics when I get it.

agent86 said:

Great. Take care agent86, and watch out for Big Oil's henchmen. Agent87 is still in training, so it's all up to you, buddy!

agent86 said:
FWIW, texaselectricbikes.com has changed their description of it to:

CRYSTALYTE V2-408 CANNON HUB MOTOR FRONT $329.00
ALL NEW!! CRYSTALYTE CANNON ELECTRIC BIKE HUB MOTOR FOR FRONT WHEEL
THIS IS THE RE-DESIGN OF THE POPULAR 408 HUB MOTOR

So what it looks like is they made a 408 but narrower and with a larger diameter for better torque at moderate speeds - I think it's Xlyte's effort at a Bionx killer. Except hackable :)

ooh really? wikid :) might end up swapping my 408 for one :p

eventually.

the 408 can go onto another bike :p

The Cannon kit was deliverred to my house this morning! I'm impressed with their responsiveness. Tough to stay at work ...

Back